• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taking video while open carrying...

Rob1759

I don't want to get ahead of myself or jinx anything but....

Lets say it becomes law, will any of you be taking video while carrying? Especially if stopped or questioned by LEOs?

I only ask because photography/videography is a hobby of mine and here recently I've gotten into shooting at night time mainly around downtown Fort Lauderdale and I've been questioned a few times (mainly because it's late at night) without any real incident. Ft. Lauderdale PD is actually pretty cool about it, one time I got an Officer to turn on the lights while driving down the road for me to take slow shutter speed pictures, the red and blue light trails came out great :D

However it got me thinking about how doing the same thing while open carrying could bring more attention my way and whether or not I should take video should a situation occur.

What do you guys think?

77zach

I might carry a voice recorder if I were to walk around in hostile territory.

The problem with other states is that it has always been legal but nobody did it in urban environments and it was forgotten about until recently. If SB 234 passes it will make the nightly news and LEO's should be made aware of the changes in a memo if they don't hear about it on the news or from a colleague. I don't expect law enforcement to be a problem. Honestly, you know where it will probably get the least amount of attention is in those jurisdictions whose sheriff was so against it. Everyone who works for that sheriff office or department will know about it. And if they do "draw down" on you, they won't for long because they'll be slapped with a lawsuit so fast they won't know what hit em.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Digital camera and camcorders are standard fare at many meet-ups, picnics etc.

Also cell phone cameras have been used to good end at some confrontational incidents.

Better to over prepared IMHO, than under prepared.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
My digital camera has this handy lanyard, I make a necklace out of it and just let it hang. It's sideways, but ti gets everything.

Let it hang under your shirt, if you see the fuzz getting close, pop it out and push the button. Works for me anyway....

Last edited:

SGB

I might carry a voice recorder if I were to walk around in hostile territory.

The problem with other states is that it has always been legal but nobody did it in urban environments and it was forgotten about until recently. If SB 234 passes it will make the nightly news and LEO's should be made aware of the changes in a memo if they don't hear about it on the news or from a colleague. I don't expect law enforcement to be a problem. Honestly, you know where it will probably get the least amount of attention is in those jurisdictions whose sheriff was so against it. Everyone who works for that sheriff office or department will know about it. And if they do "draw down" on you, they won't for long because they'll be slapped with a lawsuit so fast they won't know what hit em.

If your decide to audio record a LE contact be SURE to inform the Officers in a clear and understandable tone that you are audio recording their contact with you. In Florida both parties must be aware that they are being recorded.

Last edited:

Phssthpok

If your decide to audio record a LE contact be SURE to inform the Officers in a clear and understandable tone that you are audio recording their contact with you. In Florida both parties must be aware that they are being recorded.

Cite?

I'm fair certain that only applies to PRIVATE conversations. Public employees acting in their official capacities in a public place enjoy ZERO expectation of privacy.

10x

Cite?

I'm fair certain that only applies to PRIVATE conversations. Public employees acting in their official capacities in a public place enjoy ZERO expectation of privacy.

Yes, I believe that is true it applies only to private conversations. I believe there is an old thread that this was discussed.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Last I read it, it was quite the contrary. The particular law is tough to read because the part that exempts the notification business, is in the definitions far earlier in the Statute. If you don't read that part, too, it does appear to require two party consent. It's a shame the two segments are separated by so much gibberish, it creates this misunderstanding quite frequently.

The definition excludes places in which one does not have a Reasonable Expectation of Privacy. Since the section covering this is so huge and convoluted, it was easier to change the definition than rewrite the whole mess when the SCOTUS came down.... This is the ol' "Come over here so we can talk/away from all those people/so you don't get embarrassed/so we can talk privately... Don't fall for it no matter how they phrase it. While an Officer of the State supposedly doesn't enjoy any Expectation of Privacy in any official activities, it's just one more thing you'll have to fight if you let them pull it. Along with that bogus "Disturbing the Peace" "Resisting Without Violence" and "GATTTOTP" crap they'll pile up...

A lot of laws in Florida are like this. "Everything is illegal" but then you'll find the exceptions peppered around in places you wouldn't think to look.

Last edited:

j4l

Jesus H.. For the last time, Ladies.. IF it passes, just carry the damned thing and go about your biz like normal. Dont start making a scene of yourselves already.
If you really really need attention, go try out for American Idol or some such..

j4l

Yes, I believe that is true it applies only to private conversations. I believe there is an old thread that this was discussed.
And another one.. once,more, for the last time ladies, by all means take the advice and mis-interpretations of interweb shade-tree lawyers, and find out the hard way which way it goes down...what's 5 + years, and $10k in fines anyway?:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...79119&highlight=florida+recording#post1479119

And another one.. once,more, for the last time ladies, by all means take the advice and mis-interpretations of interweb shade-tree lawyers, and find out the hard way which way it goes down...what's 5 + years, and $10k in fines anyway?:banghead:

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/florida/florida-recording-law

KeepShootin

Jesus H.. For the last time, Ladies.. IF it passes, just carry the damned thing and go about your biz like normal. Dont start making a scene of yourselves already.
If you really really need attention, go try out for American Idol or some such..

Here's the problem with your mentality, most people who open carry, do go about their business like normal. It's these anti-gun cops and p*ssy ass citizens that make a scene. That's why we need cameras... I drive with a camera in my car 24/7, AND, I have a watch camera, for when I am outside my vehicle. Most people I know, who carry cameras, don't want attention. They are just protecting themselves.

On another note, I was recently pulled over, and, here in PA, officers don't have have an expectation of privacy, but they may have an expectation of non-interception. So, in order to eliminate any possibility of setting myself up to go to federal prison, I told the officer that he was being recorded. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy :).

[video=youtube;pbxuP3mNHFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxuP3mNHFM&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

nigmalg

Watched your video KeepShootin.

I am so terribly tired of hearing the "you look scared", "you look nervous", "you're acting funny". Do you realize why he said that? He's fabricating RAS so he can justify having you exit the vehicle for a pat down or a cursory search of your passenger compartment.

It's become a fishing routine with police departments lately.

Keep in mind if the officer believes he's established RAS of criminal activity, you're now subject to being disarmed at his leisure as well.

crashnjax

i am in 100% agreement. wont be trouble if you dont go looking for trouble. like will smith said on MIB" wont be nothing if you dont start nothing" i think. :idea: as always avoid shady areas you know has trouble in it and you will be fine. most of the time.

crashnjax

Here's the problem with your mentality, most people who open carry, do go about their business like normal. It's these anti-gun cops and p*ssy ass citizens that make a scene. That's why we need cameras... I drive with a camera in my car 24/7, AND, I have a watch camera, for when I am outside my vehicle. Most people I know, who carry cameras, don't want attention. They are just protecting themselves.

On another note, I was recently pulled over, and, here in PA, officers don't have have an expectation of privacy, but they may have an expectation of non-interception. So, in order to eliminate any possibility of setting myself up to go to federal prison, I told the officer that he was being recorded. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy :).

[video=youtube;pbxuP3mNHFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxuP3mNHFM&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

as much as i would like to support this video. i am surprised you only allowed us to view 2min3secs of it. did something happen you did not want us to know about. leaves alot of suspicion in my mind honestly. :question: i understand the video theory but i have never had any probs with LEO's any time i have been pulled over, kill em with kindness works 99% of the time. if you have a prob with something they do you get them back later either thru dept and or courts(if you received a ticket). of course an atitude will get you no where but on the ground every time. :exclaim:

KeepShootin

as much as i would like to support this video. i am surprised you only allowed us to view 2min3secs of it. did something happen you did not want us to know about. leaves alot of suspicion in my mind honestly. :question: i understand the video theory but i have never had any probs with LEO's any time i have been pulled over, kill em with kindness works 99% of the time. if you have a prob with something they do you get them back later either thru dept and or courts(if you received a ticket). of course an atitude will get you no where but on the ground every time. :exclaim:

You need more than 2 minutes and 3 seconds of video, to see that he was being an a**hole? If I started the video mid-traffic stop, I could see you having a point, but, that's not the case. I wasn't being disrespectful at all. I was just letting him know that he was being recorded. It wasn't, "Hey! You're stupid, and I'm recording you! HAHAHAHA". I was being polite. What does he have to worry about, being recorded? Is he going to violate my rights? I didn't post the rest of the video, because he just ran my info, and gave me 2 tickets. Is that really something you want/have to watch? Lol

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Recording the Cops is a much broader concept than OC. If you feel so compelled, go do it right now.

It has saved many from 'fix it in the report' LEOs. OC and otherwise.

Being armed with this knowledge, and ability, is paramount.

Referring to people more intelligent, educated, and prepared than yourself with intended-to-be-insulting female monikers is neither useful, nor detrimental to anyone but yourself... It's all about you, it would seem... You make your own choices. Discouraging education and preparedness doesn't seem like a sound philosophy. One does not have to be a lawyer to read the law any more than one needs to go to college to read any other book. It is not a special book that only certain 'only ones' are able to read.

My advice is far more useful than yours has been. I'm still not a Lawyer and don't want to be. But it beats knowing nothing and suggesting ignorance as a useful course...

What is this ridiculous and baseless obsession with claiming everyone but yourself is an attention whore? You're drawing a lot of attention to yourself with that behavior... How many times was the word 'yourself' used in this message?

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The matter of recording the cops in Florida has been covered. There is a very recent case of such an incident in Tarpon Springs. The SA won't even prosecute. If it's so illegal, why won't the SA prosecute? Oh, a further look at the charges reveals they weren't even charged with the made-up idea that you can't record the cops, because you can...

Find for me the case in Florida in which video/audio recording the cops in a place where they have no reasonable expectation of privacy wasn't thrown out.

I'll wait.

brboyer

Unfortunately, that web site leaves out a critical definition from the statute:
“Oral communication” means any oral communication uttered by a person exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation and does not mean any public oral communication uttered at a public meeting or any electronic communication.

The Florida Supreme Court and several Federal appellate courts have ruled:
This expectation of privacy does not contemplate merely a subjective expectation on the part of the person making the uttered oral communication but rather contemplates a reasonable expectation of privacy. A reasonable expectation of privacy under a given set of circumstances depends upon one's actual subjective expectation of privacy as well as whether society is prepared to recognize this expectation as reasonable.

If you tell the officer you are recording (or it is clearly obvious from the circumstances - a video camera), there is no possibility that he can have a reasonable belief that the conversation is not being recorded. This is not to say that you are required to tell him, but if you do so, that would clearly be a lawful recording.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Unfortunately, that web site leaves out a critical definition from the statute:

The Florida Supreme Court and several Federal appellate courts have ruled:

If you tell the officer you are recording (or it is clearly obvious from the circumstances - a video camera), there is no possibility that he can have a reasonable belief that the conversation is not being recorded. This is not to say that you are required to tell him, but if you do so, that would clearly be a lawful recording.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of “oral communication,” Fla. Stat. ch. 934.02. See also Stevenson v. State, 667 So.2d 410 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1996); Paredes v. State, 760 So.2d 167 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 2000).