• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

massad ayoob?

erich_kopp

I think it may have already came up but. I was wondering if any of you know a few good books to read on selfdefence? by massad ayoob or anybody else? thanks.

Last edited:

amlevin

If you like reading books by a "Self Appointed Expert" who is still living his Glory Days of the 70's, Ayoob's books are OK.

It depends on what you are trying to learn. If it's how to shoot better, there are far better books. If it's about the Law and when you can or can't defend yourself, you can learn just as much by reading the appropriate Criminal Codes (RCW 9A and appropriate sections) and the Firearms regulation Statute RCW 9.41 in its entirety.

One Good Book is "STREET SMARTS, FIREARMS, & PERSONAL SECURITY by Jim Grover".

Another is just about anything written by Jim Cirillo, including SECRETS OF A MASTER GUNFIGHTER - Jim Cirillo's Advanced Guide to Combat Shooting and Gunfight Survival.

Unfortunately, Nr. Cirillo survived numerous gunfights, some say more gunfights than Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and "Wild Bill" Hickok combined, yet succumbed to an auto accident Jul 13, 2007.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think it may have already came up but. I was wondering if any of you know a few good books to read on selfdefence? by massad ayoob or anybody else? thanks.

Ayoob has good information. Been reading his stuff for years. However, just like with any writer, you have to remember you made a conscious decision to seek out his writings.

Just like with any writer, you have to sort out his facts from his evaluations about those facts. For example, he writes a regular column in Combat Handguns magazine about self-defense and the law. He usually starts with a theme, for example, carrying a back-up gun and how it might look in court, then very briefly discusses anywhere from 4-10 real life cases, then explains his conclusions and advices. Personally, I tend to think he puts a little too much weight on things sometimes. But, the great thing is you do get facts and you do get analysis. Which, if the writer is actually trying to be helpful, is better than trying to muddle through it all yourself without facts or analysis by someone experienced in the subject area.

His stuff is available from Lethal Force Institute, Police Bookshelf, Gunlaws.com, and maybe Paladin Press.

He also writes regular columns for Combat Handguns, Guns and Ammo, and Backwoods Home Magazine. Some of his Backwoods stuff is available at Backwoods' website.

Also, he has a number of videos on YouTube.

If you are looking for legal angles on self-defense, you might start with his book In The Gravest Extreme and his video Judicious Use of Deadly Force.

Last edited:

amlevin

Ayoob has good information. Been reading his stuff for years. However, just like with any writer, you have to remember you made a conscious decision to seek out his writings.

Just like with any writer, you have to sort out his facts from his evaluations about those facts. For example, he writes a regular column in Combat Handguns magazine about self-defense and the law. He usually starts with a theme, for example, carrying a back-up gun and how it might look in court, then very briefly discusses anywhere from 4-10 real life cases, then explains his conclusions and advices. Personally, I tend to think he puts a little too much weight on things sometimes. But, the great thing is you do get facts and you do get analysis. Which, if the writer is actually trying to be helpful, is better than trying to muddle through it all yourself without facts or analysis by someone experienced in the subject area.

His stuff is available from Lethal Force Institute, Police Bookshelf, Gunlaws.com, and maybe Paladin Press.

He also writes regular columns for Combat Handguns, Guns and Ammo, and Backwoods Home Magazine. Some of his Backwoods stuff is available at Backwoods' website.

Also, he has a number of videos on YouTube.

If you are looking for legal angles on self-defense, you might start with his book In The Gravest Extreme and his video Judicious Use of Deadly Force.

Regardless of who's books one reads it is imperative that they learn the LAWS OF THE STATE THEY RESIDE or are TRAVELING IN!!!

These vary widely so good advice for one state can yield jail time in another.

aktion

For using firearms in a life threatening situation, I've learned much from Jeff Cooper, Kyle Lamb, Gabe Suarez, and Erik Lawrence. Good mental preparation and physical training cannot be over-emphasized. Cooper and Lamb especially have a 'no-BS, use what is effective' approach.

I've found that Ayoob's background in law enforcement heavily influences his attitude toward citizen carry. Take that as you will.

FTG-05

If you like reading books by a "Self Appointed Expert" who is still living his Glory Days of the 70's, Ayoob's books are OK.

[snip]QUOTE]

Bradley Steiner, is that you?

:lol:

MA is a pretty good writer, he had his quirks like most people. At least his stuff is useful, unlike Mr. BS above, or Chuckie Taylor (as MA used to call him). His "In the Gravest Extreme" is a very good book IMO. Get a copy.

If you have kids, get his book "Gunproofing Kids" (or similiar title).

There's a bunch of good gun authors and self defense writers out there, you'll see pretty fast who has good information and who doesn't.

Good luck.

Gunslinger

For using firearms in a life threatening situation, I've learned much from Jeff Cooper, Kyle Lamb, Gabe Suarez, and Erik Lawrence. Good mental preparation and physical training cannot be over-emphasized. Cooper and Lamb especially have a 'no-BS, use what is effective' approach.

I've found that Ayoob's background in law enforcement heavily influences his attitude toward citizen carry. Take that as you will.

I agree. If you read his column on real life cop/alleged criminal activities, In "American Handgunner," there are many holes in his presentation of the 'hero' cop rising above the 'lawless scum' he eventually kills. The 4th Amendment evidently is something Ayoob has never read. His philosophy is clearly the ends justify the means. While in the case of a criminal I can understand--to a degree, the cop's mania. Unfortunately, they cross the line when the victim is not a criminal but their actions are the same as if he had been. Ayoob glosses over this point. And his oft avowed opinion that only cops 'really' know how to use firearms--we civilians need to accept our limitations, gets old quickly. He is better on Personal Defense TV because he knows who is paying his salary and to whom the shows are aimed.