• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarifying the subject of carry.

CharleyCherokee

My understanding of the statutes is:

Open carry allowed in all places except:
Detention facility (without the Warden's permission)
within 1000 ft of K-12 school (without CC permit)
Post Office
Private businesses marked as such
Bars (Places whose income is 51% or more from alcohol consumed on premises) if firearm is loaded

(Permit required) Concealed carry allowed in all places except:

Previously mentioned
Bars (Places whose income is 51% or more from alcohol consumed on premises)
Hospitals
Police Stations
Courthouses
Daycare facilities

Does this information seem to be accurate? If parts are in question I can cite the KRS that makes me think such. If you are certain parts are inaccurate please cite the KRS number so I can rereview it myself. I want to be 110% sure that I'm obeying the law before I begin to OC. I have reviewed the law extensively for the past two months, but value the insight of others who have and continue to practice OC.

Last edited:

langzaiguy

Sounds good BUT--I am unfamiliar with any laws regarding the regulation of firearms in hospitals. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Also, from what I understand, localities MAY regulate CC in public buildings. If a locality does not legislate such an ordinance, then CC is simply unregulated.

neuroblades

I'm with langzaiguy on this one. Hospitals aren't mentioned in Kentucky KRS as far as I've ever found. I know that most all hospitals, at least the ones I've encountered have signage denoting no carry but once again, those do not carry legal weight as per weapons law. That's not to say that I'd OC in a hospital though.

Equally equated, churches are lawful to carry into but I won't actually venture into that territory again, the last time I brought it up, it opened a sh*t storm of arguments. *LOL*

CharleyCherokee

Gutshot is correct there is no blanket exclusion for carry in a hospital. I was reading from KRS 237.110. They mention daycares twice in there once with K-12 schools and once with hospitals. However, the second time they are mentioning daycare facilities ran out of a persons home. I just confused the placement because of the mention of daycares twice in different settings.

So to further clarify:

My understanding of the statutes is:

Post Office
Army Core of Engineer properties <-Being some state parks apparently?
Bars (Places whose income is 51% or more from alcohol consumed on premises) if firearm is loaded

Previously mentioned
Police Stations
Courthouses
Daycare facilities

Can someone tell me which US code covers schools and such? Would daycares be considered K-12 or covered under that code?

Last edited:

CharleyCherokee

Post Office

Previously mentioned
Police Stations
Meetings of a governing body
Courthouses (solely occupied by the Court of Justice or any space controlled by Court of Justice)
Daycare facilities
Secure area of an airport

Could you provide reference for the OC in a Court of Justice? I'm not as familiar with the differences in each court as I probably should be so hadn't planned to carry there at any rate, however, from the above I'm assuming a Court of Justice is the same thing as a Federal Court.

boomer92266

here in monroe county there is a sign on the court house door, no concealed weapons allowed inside court house property. it used to say no weapons allowed until a few brave souls challenged with open carry, then the sign was changed. they are building a justice center here and i've heard that there it will be a no go for any type of carry. thanks

slocav

Post Office

Previously mentioned
Police Stations
Meetings of a governing body
Courthouses (solely occupied by the Court of Justice or any space controlled by Court of Justice)
Daycare facilities
Secure area of an airport

Could you provide reference for the OC in a Court of Justice? I'm not as familiar with the differences in each court as I probably should be so hadn't planned to carry there at any rate, however, from the above I'm assuming a Court of Justice is the same thing as a Federal Court.

Am I missing something here? Since when could a private business ban open carry?