• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA letter in Wisconsin State Journal

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Here's what it is for context:

It's really pretty simple. Law-abiding citizens apply for permits to carry firearms. Criminals carry guns regardless of any law, and they use those guns to commit violent crimes against law-abiding citizens. The more defenseless the citizen, the better for the criminal.

I don't see the specific call for licensing here. Here is correct: Law-abiding citizens apply for permits to carry firearms. This is true, but does he call for licensing of carry? No he does not, at least not in a way. In fact that would be contrary to previous NRA-ILA postings which state that they are looking at VT/AK/AZ as the basis for a carry law in Wisconsin (constitution carry).

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
It's pretty simple, really

Here's what it is for context:

It's really pretty simple. Law-abiding citizens apply for permits to carry firearms. Criminals carry guns regardless of any law, and they use those guns to commit violent crimes against law-abiding citizens. The more defenseless the citizen, the better for the criminal.

I don't see the specific call for licensing here. Here is correct: Law-abiding citizens apply for permits to carry firearms. This is true, but does he call for licensing of carry? No he does not, at least not in a way. In fact that would be contrary to previous NRA-ILA postings which state that they are looking at VT/AK/AZ as the basis for a carry law in Wisconsin (constitution carry).
It's pretty simple, really; he is stating his definition of "Law-abiding citizens". To paraphrase his statement to make it more understandable, "Law-abiding citizens are those who apply for permits to carry firearms." Spin it any way you want to, Gray, but he is signaling that permits are just fine with the NRA, and all those starving instructors out there should pursue a permit system. Just more fat-cat double-speak....

MKEgal

Wisconsin is one of only two states in the nation that doesn't have a concealed carry law.
Oh, we have one all right. It says we can't.

I think his point would have been better stated thus:
It's really pretty simple. Criminals carry guns regardless of any law...
Then there'd be no confusion over his intent.
Yes, I think the NRA is still pushing for permits. They think the only acceptable way to carry is concealed (they still list WI as a state where people can't carry).

But I like this:
115,000 violent crime victims and 10,000 rape victims later
And the info on FL & TX, how few permit holders have gotten into trouble.
Wish he'd gone on to compare rates/100K population of non-permitees and license holders.
But there's probably a word limit on the article.

Captain Nemo

Folks:
This is not a slam at the NRA. It is plain and simple the facts in an attempt to put our firearm victories in proper perspective. After the failed 2004 and 2006 PPA's, both largely crafted by the NRA, the NRA left town and never looked back. In fact going so far as to tell the whole country that we have no manner of firearm carry for personal protection. Totally ignoring our constitutional right to open carry. Open carry with less restrictions than many shall issue concealed carry states allow.

We owe our open carry freedoms to five individuals. Nik, Hubert, Brad Krause, Jesus Gonzales and J.B. VanHollen. They were the ones that had the guts to put their freedom, finances, reputations and convictions on the line while the NRA turned a blind eye. Now that it looks like concealed carry may finally come to Wisconsin th NRA wants to steal the thunder.

My opinion

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
You are right about the 5, Captain. If the NRA really wants Constitutional Carry they have to pound the legislature and it will happen. As I said before, the biggest issue is providing legislative cover if a nut case runs amoke. That's why I think at a minimum there will have to be a background check done. A positive would be the potential to avoid the background check when purchasing a firearm.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6633

The first agenda item of any politican is to get re-elected. They will give you only lip service unless you have contributed money, time or both to them & the NRA has done both and has the ability to do more. Otherwise it's an education process & WCI and its members have done a masterful job in that regard.

Last edited:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
The NRA has come out strongly AGAINST mandatory training and instructors pushing for it.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6627

Coming out for Constitional Carry and against manditory training, what more can the NRA do???

Other than the NRA, WI-Force, WCI, and Wisconsin Bear Hunters, I have not seen any other organization advocating in the Wisconsin state legislature against firearm restrictions and for firearm freedoms in the last legislative session.

The state "no compromise" firearm "advocate" organization in Wisconsin and the other hunting groups were about as visible as piss ants in the Capitol urinals.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

...what more can the NRA do???

Posting one propaganda piece and then mass emailing it is hardly worthy of attention. If they (NRA) were strongly against Concealed Carry they would have lobbyists hammering Madison daily. They would then spin it to their advantage and mercilessly cram it down anyone's throat who would listen.

Yet it has been nothing but quit on the NRA front here in Wisco. Where has the NRA been all this time? While everyone here on OpenCarry.org has been writing, calling, emailing, coughing up cash, passing out fliers, passing out buttons, holding gatherings almost weekly, and penning their own legislation?

What more can the NRA do? Well for starters they could have been in this fight from a year ago instead of swooping down now and claiming credit for all your (members here) hard work. They could show up with their political pressure, money, bodies... instead of telling us we need to call and write now! Time is of the essence! OH NO!!!

No sh*t Sherlock. Thanks for the news flash.

Last edited: