• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry Restrutions

ak74

I sent an email to SP PD, about open carry and I still had some questions left over and was curious if you guys could help.

To: SPD mail
Subject: Open Carry

Is openly carrying a firearm(in this case a pistol visibility in a holster) in Springfield, Mo Legal? I was unable to find any City or County ordinance against it. Thank you.

from Haenni, Patrick <Phaenni@springfieldmo.gov>
to "#######@gmail.com" <########@gmail.com>
It’s not prohibited by law to do so generally but there are many restrictions that you should be aware of in which a violation could rise to a criminal offense. For instance there are many public and private buildings/areas where there are restrictions against carrying – usually they are posted.

I looked up the restrictions however most of them where about Buses, Bars, Government Buildings, Schools, Day cares etc.. I didn't see anything about Opening carry while inside your a vehicle. Nor anything about having it in your glove box as you drive though a College campus(I have to drive on the other edge of a college to and from work ever day)Ohh and one more thing. Has anyone ever bought packaged Alcohol while OC? Any tips and advice is appreciated. Thanks

Marc

Ok i cant answer all those questions as im not familiar with that area, but I can say open carry in ur car is 100% legal and is pre-empted by state law. As long as you are over 21 you can carry concealed or open in ur vehicle anywhere within the state of MO. (although some places have the right to say you cant have a weapon in ur car on their property, but its not illegal ). And as far as buying alcohol, that also involves state law, as long as OC is legal it is legal to buy alcohol while carrying. I have no idea on the laws regarding college campus and firearms tho. Hope this helps you out a little. Oh and yes i have purchased alcohol many times while OCing, once standing right in line in front of a Deputy Sheriff and he never even blinked .

kcgunfan

1. Don't ask LEO's about the law. That's what lawyers are for (for the record, I am neither...)

2. Open Carry is legal in Missouri, assuming a subdivision hasn't made it illegal. The subdivisions are allowed to regulate that and discharge of a firearm. Everything else is preempted by the state. Some LEO's don't know that OC is legal (although most do), your results may vary.

2. If you have a CCW endorsement (which is what it's called in MO), you're the safest. You should carry it if you have it. Basically, it works like this:

No CCW: you are subject to RSMo 571.030, located here: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5710000030.htm There are a number of places you should not take a firearm. They are enumerated there. Violating that is a felony. The exception for CCW is 571.107.4

With CCW: you are subject to RSMo 571.107, located here: http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5710000107.htm Basically, the same list of restrictions can be found here (actually, I think there are a couple more...) But, you are only penalized if you are asked to leave, you refuse to leave, and a peace officer is summoned. You should leave when you are asked, especially if it's private property. That's just courteous. Based on what you mentioned reading about, it looks like this was the statute you found. If you don't have a CCW, read the other one very carefully.

You may carry however you like in your vehicle if you are over 21 and can legally possess the firearm. At least while you're on the public streets.

If you have a CCW, you may have your firearm in your car pretty much anywhere (except for posted private property, and that's just courtesy again.) It's perfectly legal. As long as it's kept in the car and not brandished, you're good. Without a CCW, read the cite above, it's fairly complex, especially with respect to schools. Basically if either the ammo or firearm is locked up and not readily accessible, you can have it in your car on campus.

You may purchase package alcohol, and even drink it while carrying. But, if you brandish, you get bonus charges. Bars (that serve by the drink) are handled a little differently.

Most of the little communities around Springfield are OK for OC also. A notable exception is Ozark MO, where you need to have a CCW to OC.

Enjoy your time in Springfield. It's really a nice friendly town.

cash50

If you have a CCW, you may have your firearm in your car pretty much anywhere (except for posted private property, and that's just courtesy again.) It's perfectly legal. As long as it's kept in the car and not brandished, you're good. Without a CCW, read the cite above, it's fairly complex, especially with respect to schools. Basically if either the ammo or firearm is locked up and not readily accessible, you can have it in your car on campus.

You can carry onto private property, even if it's posted. The signs carry no power of law, and if you are open carrying or concealing, you can walk right past those signs.

ak74

Thanks for the help, The man reason I ask as I am 21 and in MO you have to be 23 to get a MO conceal carry permit. I could go out of state and get a permit, but the cost of doing so would add up pretty quick.

The man thing I was curious about was the open carrying while in a car. Which was answer. As I don't want to holster and de-holster my gun all the time in the glove box as it could bring undue attention.

kcgunfan

Thanks for the help, The man reason I ask as I am 21 and in MO you have to be 23 to get a MO conceal carry permit. I could go out of state and get a permit, but the cost of doing so would add up pretty quick.

The man thing I was curious about was the open carrying while in a car. Which was answer. As I don't want to holster and de-holster my gun all the time in the glove box as it could bring undue attention.

Well, be careful where you take the gun then. The rules are different for not having a CCW endorsement. Look into the out of state CC permit option though. You don't actually have to travel there, and that makes the price comparable (or than) the $200 or so you'll spend in MO. Others can tell you more, I've got my MO endorsement.

Marc

You can get a Florida non resident ccw at 21. They require that you completed a safety course which even the Missouri Hunters Safety Course qualifies. It costs 75 bucks plus whatever it costs to have a local agency fingerprint you so u can send ur prints with ur application a few other requirememnts but its not hard to get and its recognized in MO

The last time I checked the total fee to the state of FL for a FL permit was $117.00 for 7 years. You can get a AZ non resident permit good for 5 years at a cost of $60.00. You can contact the AZ DPS by email and request a packet. They will send you a return email with what training certificates such as a DD214 and others.

Last edited:

tittiger

You can get a Florida non resident ccw at 21. They require that you completed a safety course which even the Missouri Hunters Safety Course qualifies. It costs 75 bucks plus whatever it costs to have a local agency fingerprint you so u can send ur prints with ur application a few other requirememnts but its not hard to get and its recognized in MO

Do you if attending an Appleseed shoot would qualify for the safety course?

Thanks

kcgunfan

Do you if attending an Appleseed shoot would qualify for the safety course?

Thanks

West sider, eh? I would doubt it. Don't be afraid of the MO Hunter's Safety Course though. As far as I know, it's free, and you can do the majority of it online these days.

Plus, from how I read things, you pretty much have to have taken it if you want to hunt in MO anyway. I got mine in 7th grade, so it's been a while.

You can get more information here: http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/learn-hunt/hunter-education

kcgunfan

Wow, I just completely misunderstood that Appleseed thing completely. I retract my earlier comment. But still, getting the MO Hunter's Safety is not a bad idea.