• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

African americans open carrying

Mongoose72

Why blacks actually have a stronger need to OC

Sorry to hear about your experience. Not sure if you are familiar with Ken Blanchard and his website:
http://kennblanchard.com/
shows the racist history of gun control, also why blacks have more of a reason to carry than whites as they are disproportionately the victims of violent crime. Around here in Virginia during the past year I have seen 10 people open carrying in non-gun related events; 3 of them were black.

SD40VE

living in detroit. i see many african americans OC. as long as they are OC i dont worry. nor should the cops. remember guys criminals dont OC. now if i see a guy who is contantly fumbling with something under his shirt in his waistband.. thats a whole other story

L.A.1992equalsAK-47

The race card is exactly what it is. Those carry license are nothing more than a card to keep certain people from carrying.
Im not black, im just a Redneck who see's it all way too clear.
One of the most evident things I have noticed with any right's issues is "men". When a man see's another man he needs to understand " We All Have The Same Rights"!
That right there is the problem!
Here in Texas, the CHL license has been established with high fee's and excessive requirement. This makes it unattractive to most anyone.
Well now im ranting......

The simple fact that your treated like **** for being a black man who chooses to exercise his rights makes us all look bad. The cops have no right to slam you against the wall to check your ID. " I hope you sue their butt's off".
Being American does not involve color. We all have to same rights no matter who we are, where we go, or where we live.
This kind of conduct needs to end!

Agreed. The Bill of Rights has no race card provision, too.

Gunluvr

I myself am an african american and as much as I hate to claim the race card, it holds true in open carry situations.

I've been places with a white friend and we both open carried and law enforcement felt the need to detain me, seize my gun, THEN check my permit (in that order). But my white friend was not treated this way. His permit wasn't even checked.

Just to give a little extra information, that day I was coming from a job interview, I was clean shaven, neat, wearing slacks, shirt, and tie, so I did not present the gangster hoodlum image, at least not in my view.

I've once been pulled off of a train by 5 leos, stripped of my gun, slammed against the wall and humiliated only to find that I was in possession of a very valid permit (weapons carry license as it's known as in georgia).

I've had 911 called on me, even joined blackgunowners.org and was told that my experience was the norm for a man of color.

Any other black men or women here have any oc experiences?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!
Interesting, I'm black also and have been open carrying for about 4-5 years and my experience has been exactly the opposite of yours. I open carry in Decatur, Atlanta(when I go there) and the airport. I've only been approached one time in Market Square mall by a Dekalb County cop. Generally nobody bothers me and I don't bother anyone.

sudden valley gunner

Interesting, I'm black also and have been open carrying for about 4-5 years and my experience has been exactly the opposite of yours. I open carry in Decatur, Atlanta(when I go there) and the airport. I've only been approached one time in Market Square mall by a Dekalb County cop. Generally nobody bothers me and I don't bother anyone.

Thank you for your experiences. My nephew also had no problems OC'ing in our very Dutch town here in the NW. Of course he was hanging out with me and the local yokels recieved a few lessons from me. ;)

cds0699

I hope departments that engage in this nonsense behavior of racially profiling get sued every time they violate law abiding citizens. Sooner or later they will get sick of getting sued and start obeying the constitution and the oath they took.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Javelina

I'm Sorry

To the OP I am sorry for what you have had to experience all you have been put through. I just want you to know that we stand behind you. Any man has the right to bear arms here in the great US (excluding Felons that is) no matter what his skin color may be. I hope you stay safe and no longer have to go through any of this abuse. :)

sudden valley gunner

To the OP I am sorry for what you have had to experience all you have been put through. I just want you to know that we stand behind you. Any man has the right to bear arms here in the great US (excluding Felons that is) no matter what his skin color may be. I hope you stay safe and no longer have to go through any of this abuse. :)

+1

Logan 5

I've said it before and I'll say it now- I don't care what race color or creed you have- open carry to your heart's delight. I don't care. Welcome to America.

OTOH, don't go around with a cocky attitude because you're OCing. I've seen that a few times and so have others in the community. You'll have this guy walking like he's ten feet tall and bullet proof. One time recently a store clerk asked the guy in front of me why he's OCing, and he talked down to her like she was a tramp. When confronted by other customers, he talked down to us the same way.

If you pay close attention to the behavior some people have, you'll see that people that are CCing are generally more laid back and polite than those OCing. But then, that's from my own observations.

Just be cool about it is all.

Gallowmere

If you pay close attention to the behavior some people have, you'll see that people that are CCing are generally more laid back and polite than those OCing. But then, that's from my own observations.

If you know that said people are CCing, then they are doing a pretty piss poor job at it. ;)

That being said, it must just be the area where I live, but people who aren't carrying at all appear to encompass the entire "*********" demographic. Either that, or they are the CCers that are actually good at hiding it. ^_^

WalkingWolf

If you know that said people are CCing, then they are doing a pretty piss poor job at it. ;)

That being said, it must just be the area where I live, but people who aren't carrying at all appear to encompass the entire "*********" demographic. Either that, or they are the CCers that are actually good at hiding it. ^_^

In our area, there are a LOT of people who CC, it is surprising the numbers. Some do it well, and the only reason I know is they tell me when they see me OCing. Then there are the fat guys who wear a t-shirt three sizes too small carrying a desert eagle under the shirt.

DISCLAIMER~~No fat guys or t-shirts were harmed in the making of this post!

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I've said it before and I'll say it now- I don't care what race color or creed you have- open carry to your heart's delight. I don't care. Welcome to America.

OTOH, don't go around with a cocky attitude because you're OCing. I've seen that a few times and so have others in the community. You'll have this guy walking like he's ten feet tall and bullet proof. One time recently a store clerk asked the guy in front of me why he's OCing, and he talked down to her like she was a tramp. When confronted by other customers, he talked down to us the same way.

Must be NC but I have never seen that happen in NC. Most times the people who are being asshats appear to be unarmed. We have a law here that is abused but it is called going armed to the terror of people. If a open carrier acts like a arse(disorderly conduct) they would likely be arrested for GATTTOP. Most every OCer I have seen is polite, quiet, respectful, and good citizens. Now they may act completely different when not armed, no way to tell.

Bernymac

When confronted by other customers, he talked down to us the same way.

Why were other customers "confronting" the person? From my experience, you put the other person on the defensive if they are getting "confronted". Even if the person openly carrying is perceived as being "cocky" or "ten feet tall" or "bulletproof", what gives others the right to confront them? How about just leaving them alone regardless of how you perceive them? No need to confront or educate or satisfy a curiosity.

Last edited:

Logan 5

The girl was just asking him about OCing. He had no right to talk to her like he did. OC, I don't care. But don't talk down to a store clerk that's asking you why you're OCing. "dude, she just asked why you're packing, that's all"...and to think that put him on the defensive? He really shouldn't have a gun in his possession if that makes him feel defensive. Look at him cross-eyed and he just might blow your brains out. How quaint.

OCing requires common sense and responsibility.

Bernymac

The girl was just asking him about OCing. He had no right to talk to her like he did. OC, I don't care. But don't talk down to a store clerk that's asking you why you're OCing. "dude, she just asked why you're packing, that's all"...and to think that put him on the defensive? He really shouldn't have a gun in his possession if that makes him feel defensive. Look at him cross-eyed and he just might blow your brains out. How quaint.

OCing requires common sense and responsibility.

Quaint indeed. Maybe there should be a group of people that can sit around and make decisions on which type of people have the "might blow your brains out" mentality and keep them from owning guns. Let's start with the jerks that talk down to people...who's next? Ah, F it there are people who just cannot be entrusted with a gun...let's just ban them all :shocker:

Sir Diealotz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we all "Americans"? PC is BS, just sayin'

And I would carry a recording device and then cash in. :cool: