• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Questions - Newbie

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Try not to call your gun a weapon it has negative connotations. Call it a gun :D

Indeed a "weapon" brings to mind attack, aggression and other negative derivations.

Gun, handgun, pistol, revolver or by manufacturer and model. Any of these are apt dipictions of the defensive tool we carry for use only as a last resort.

bh2win

I'll keep that in mind, I'll only carry also when I'm dressed in business attire. Not trying to give the wrong vibe to people in the neighboring areas.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'll keep that in mind, I'll only carry also when I'm dressed in business attire. Not trying to give the wrong vibe to people in the neighboring areas.

Hmmm - might want to rethink that unless you are certain that you'll never have a need when dressed more causally.

Many (most?) here carry 24/7.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hmmm - might want to rethink that unless you are certain that you'll never have a need when dressed more causally.

Many (most?) here carry 24/7.

+1
There is dress and there is dress. Unfortunately, much of OC is Public Relations but that doesn't mean you have to wear your Sunday-Go-to-Meeting, best .... A little common sense (Which I'm a little light on) goes a long way.

I have an assault vest I used to wear when I was videoing. (Sturdy with lots of pockets)

Once when we were at an event, a camerman for a news group walked up and asked what militia we were with.

I switched to a fishing vest.

Marco

Try not to call your gun a weapon it has negative connotations. Call it a gun :D

Indeed a "weapon" brings to mind attack, aggression and other negative derivations.

Gun, handgun, pistol, revolver or by manufacturer and model. Any of these are apt dipictions of the defensive tool we carry for use only as a last resort.

I must disagree with this!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is backwards assed thinking!!
We recently tried to get VA to change your (I don't have a VA permit) current CHP(?)'s to CWP's so those with a VA permit could carry a variety of items concealed not just a firearm/handgun.

So, by stating weapon is negative you are feeding into those that oppose our position.
FL has a CWP (IIRC) please tell me what is offensive or negative by the use of the word weapon.

Weapon is just a general term used to describe a tool used to defend or attack.

I know some NRA instructor will chime in telling us the NRA doesn't want their instructors using the word "weapon" during class, I say who gives a chit what the NRA wants outside of the environment they can control.

As a former service member calling your rifle or sidearm a gun would result in you running in circles holding your genitals all while sing a neat little tone.

Last edited: