• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wanting to move back to AZ, Have some questions...

carsontech

Activist Member
I am trying to get some opinions, from different forums, about an area in AZ to try and find a job and move to. I lived, as a young teenager, in Tucson from 94-98 because of my father being transfered from Biloxi, MS at Keesler AFB to Davis-Mothan AFB in Tucson.

I loved it out in the desert. It was pretty "free" and there were hundreds and hundreds of places to see and visit. My father and I hunted like crazy around Tucson. We could just ride our motorcycles from our house out into the desert to almost anywhere. No having to haul our bikes around to find places to ride, like here in the Upstate area of SC.

When we were in Tucson, AZ, we lived in the Rita Ranch area. I believe that was in the very south east corner of Tucson, or right outside the city limits.

Anyway, dad was transfered to Greenville, SC to work with Lockheed in a military position they had for C-130s. It's nice out here... except for how crowded it is (and we live out more in the country area), and the weird gun laws SC has (hopefully to change soon with a bill that will make it just like AZ's constitutional carry). SC is cool, but every property is owned by someone and is private property. No wondering off into the wilderness from the house by walking a few miles. You have to drive out pretty far and go to government owned property to explore, hunt, etc.

Now I'm married, I'm 25, shes almost 23, and we have a kid on the way that's due in 2 months. The wife and I are big 2nd amendment supporters to the bone, especially open carry (which we can not do here in SC, yet). We hate having only the city stuff to entertain us, and having to travel far just to look at more trees, lol.

After explaining about how AZ came across for me as a teenager, showing her pictures, and telling her about the gun laws, my wife is convinced she wants to move out to AZ. Of course I want to take her on a little vacation out to AZ before she officially decides. We should be ready to move in a year or two.

My comments and questions are, now that you have a little background info on me and my situation:

Watching the news and talking to some friends still in Tucson, they are saying it's getting more "liberal" there. I don't have much against liberals, other than certain types of liberals are against almost all my views, especially gun rights.

We don't mind living or being around people with different views, I just don't want to be surrounded in a sea of anti-gun people or liberals. lol.

Looking for an area of AZ that has/is the following:

1. Open Carry friendly (I know it's legal, but I hear about towns in some Open Carry here in the East that police and citizens get stupid when they see someone with a gun here on the east coast.)
2. Something that is close to a dragsrip (I like tinkering with engines and racing on local strip, doesn't have to be a big name strip, smaller "mom and pop" type strips are better to me),
3. Has lots of areas to just walk or ride around in the desert.
4. Lots of sites local natural attractions.
5. Has a decent size city for when the wife and I need to get our shopping on lol.
6. Some mountains close by for skiing and all that jazz in the winter.
7. Lots of places and land for hunting.
8. Lots of good gunshops close by
Probably some I am forgetting, but you get the idea.

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

Last edited:

AZkopper

Other than item #2 (drag strip), you should think about the Prescott area. The metro area is now over 100K people, Prescott is 43K itself, Prescott Valley is 38K people. It is OC friendly, plenty of trails, bike riding, outdoorsy stuff, 6 gun stores I can think of off the top of my head, tons of history, 4 seasons, and still a small town atmosphere.

Just be sure to bring your own job, as they are hard to come by.

JoeGlock40

i think tucson would be good.. as you know theres alot of open spaces, mt lemon, a couple gun ranges indoor and outdoor, and for dragstrip theres SIR..id say move on back down here and as for the job theres some good ones depending on wut your experience is

carsontech

Activist Member
Thanks for the comments and advice, guys. I know I will have to do some more research and visit some places, and definitely be able to find a job. The job part may have to be the deciding factor on what area we want to move to in AZ.

Keep the comments and information coming...

Sonora Rebel

Picture Rocks, Avra Valley, 3 Points, Red Rock... all within' 20-25 miles of Tucson. Marana's even closer... but 'not' Tucson.

carsontech

Activist Member
Picture Rocks, Avra Valley, 3 Points, Red Rock... all within' 20-25 miles of Tucson. Marana's even closer... but 'not' Tucson.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking at the locations with google maps, and I'm about to do some research on the web about them.

Dahwg

You know, really with the exception of the stuff the government does out here (it's mostly a bunch of hot air anyhow), Tucson isn't that bad. I OC everywhere, and even know of an OC friendly church on the SE side of Tucson.

You can be overcome by liberals anywhere you go, what's important is to get hooked into a community that shares your beliefs and values.

Sounds to me like you enjoyed Tucson as a kid, I'd say that not much has changed, and you would not be terribly disappointed now. In fact, Tucson fits your list pretty well.

mspgunner

You know, really with the exception of the stuff the government does out here (it's mostly a bunch of hot air anyhow), Tucson isn't that bad. I OC everywhere, and even know of an OC friendly church on the SE side of Tucson.

You can be overcome by liberals anywhere you go, what's important is to get hooked into a community that shares your beliefs and values.

Sounds to me like you enjoyed Tucson as a kid, I'd say that not much has changed, and you would not be terribly disappointed now. In fact, Tucson fits your list pretty well.

I'm coming on down for a week next month to spend in Tucson.... AZ sounds like the greatest State in the Union. OC is legal in Missouri but there are alot of screwed up local laws to block it. I will certainly enjoy a week of 2A freedom in AZ. Retirement is 7 years away for us, I hope Ticson will put out the welcome banner because I'm going to give it a serious look and see!

Dahwg

I'm coming on down for a week next month to spend in Tucson.... AZ sounds like the greatest State in the Union. OC is legal in Missouri but there are alot of screwed up local laws to block it. I will certainly enjoy a week of 2A freedom in AZ. Retirement is 7 years away for us, I hope Ticson will put out the welcome banner because I'm going to give it a serious look and see!

Well shoot me a PM when you get in town and we'll see if we can't make some time to get out to the range and make some noise.

Gunslinger

Tucson is the place I'd choose in AZ. Nicest climate in the state, nice people, beautiful and historic. My roommate in SEA was from there and raved about it. Or, come to Colorado Springs. Better climate, more beautiful and even nicer people. And just as gun friendly.

mspgunner

Tucson is the place I'd choose in AZ. Nicest climate in the state, nice people, beautiful and historic. My roommate in SEA was from there and raved about it. Or, come to Colorado Springs. Better climate, more beautiful and even nicer people. And just as gun friendly.

We are really looking forward to a great visit. My wife has been looking into retirement communities around Tucson, we'll probably look at a couple while we are there. AZ has a very pro-2A environment, I'll look for a great time while we are there.

crisisweasel

I moved to Tucson from New Jersey in 1999.

I'm never going back.

Within one week of moving here I felt more at home than I did in 26 years in the Garden State.

I love Arizona generally, and if I have to live in a city, I definitely choose Tucson over Phoenix as a personal choice (Phoenix is way too much for me.)

I have no regrets. Of course, I came here thinking in a way which seems compatible, in large part, with the "idea" of the state - not the least of which are its good-and-always-getting-better gun laws (in large part a product of the AzCDL's effectiveness and diligence - you should consider joining the AzCDL if/when you move here), and, of course, the desert.

Independence, autonomy, and individual rights. No place is perfect, including Arizona. But here, all of these things feel possible in a way they don't elsewhere. Like even where things aren't quite right, you get a sense they one day might be.

The desert isn't for everyone in the same way scotch isn't for everyone, but you know what you're getting into with that. I can't get enough desert, personally.

Bring a good pair of boots. And a taste for carne asada.

And guns. Did I mention guns?

mspgunner

I'll be spending a few days there Memorial week. I can't wait to experience the difference!

Even though I'm 7 years from retirement I want to have a look at the retirement communites there....

The winters here (Missouri) are the pits!

mspgunner

I'll post to this site when we get there, planning on being out there on Monday afternoon, assuming the world doesn't coem to an end or more weather that would make you move to AZ!

A dinner would be good. Progress is slow but sure here in Missouri, but beats the heck out of the anti-2A Illinois just across the river!

We're gaining in numbers slow but sure and one day you guys migth even like coming to Missouri for our 2A stance, once we reach the progress of AZ. By then, the weather out there might be what we are looking for!

HOT, SUNNY AND DRY WORKS FOR ME!

mspgunner

Visiting Tucson

I've sent PMs to JoeGlock and Dahwg giving them my cel lphone numer and where we'll be staying inTucson. It would be nice to meet and dine if it workes out for y'a all.

Thanks in advance for the western hospitality!