• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Qs about OC / CC

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I'm going to be working a temporary contract in the Pittsburgh area. Coming from Nevada, I'm used to the situation here, and wonder if I have to change practices here. I have a Utah CCW card, which PA recognizes.

In NV, there is a state pre-emption law which says that local governments can't make their own disarmament laws. OC is not addressed in any way (this, govt offices can outlaw CCW by permit holders, go figure, but can't limit OC).

How about PA?

In NV, we can OC in public (private property is of course controlled by the owners), with very few restrictions.

How about PA?

If there are no-carry zones or other restrictions on OC or CC, where can I find a list of these?

We periodically have get-togethers and OC walks, where we will do clean-up projects, or simply explain the OC laws to people. Anything like that happen around Pittsburgh?

How are the cops around there with OC and CC?

Thanks for the help!

Motofixxer

30 people is not that many. And of those 30 how many are in PA or Pittsburgh? Don't get upset or discouraged. Try being more specific in titles etc. I would suggest searching for another PA gun site. There may be more active discussions etc. Expand or define your search if your not finding what you want to know.

Curmudgeon

Wow, what a friendly state -- 2 days, 30 people read my request for information, 0 responses.

Nice. Jump to conclusions much?

This PA subforum sees relatively little traffic because there is so much discussion already going on in another forum.

Here is a stickie (from the other forum) that basically covers the question. As to Pittsburgh specifics, there are quite a few members well familiar with the area and are better suited to fill you in. Consider joining and ask about Pittsburgh, maybe in the OC/CC forum where it is likely to be seen by the most folks.

The link > http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-op...-cannot-carry-weapons-state-pennsylvania.html

Enjoy your stay. Hope you like the Steelers. :lol:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
I'm going to be working a temporary contract in the Pittsburgh area. Coming from Nevada, I'm used to the situation here, and wonder if I have to change practices here. I have a Utah CCW card, which PA recognizes.
You probably won't have to change too many practices.

In NV, there is a state pre-emption law which says that local governments can't make their own disarmament laws. OC is not addressed in any way (this, govt offices can outlaw CCW by permit holders, go figure, but can't limit OC).

How about PA?
OC is not addressed in the statutes, but is part and parcel to Article 1, Section 21 of the state's Constitution ("The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned."). Since we, too, have state preemption, this means that political subdivisions (counties, cities, boroughs and townships) cannot, in any manner, regulate the possession or carrying of firearms, whether OC or CC (especially since the State Supreme Court has ruled that OC is legal statewide).

In NV, we can OC in public (private property is of course controlled by the owners), with very few restrictions.

How about PA?
No difference.

If there are no-carry zones or other restrictions on OC or CC, where can I find a list of these?
What's a no-carry zone? The only state limitations are as follows:
a. State Park - must be concealed.
b. Court Facility - They must post signs and provide storage facilities.
c. Motor Vehicle - OC or CC, you must have a license/permit from some state, any state. No license/permit, no vehicle carry.
d. Bars, Restaurants that serve booze, Churches - no restrictions.

We periodically have get-togethers and OC walks, where we will do clean-up projects, or simply explain the OC laws to people. Anything like that happen around Pittsburgh?
I can't answer that. I don't live in or near Pittsburgh.

How are the cops around there with OC and CC?
They've all received mandatory training pointing out that OC is legal. There may be a few ******** out there, but from what I've read on this and other forums carrying in Pittsburgh is not a big deal.

Thanks for the help!
You're welcome.