• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arizona Gov. Brewer Vetoes Bill to Allow Guns on Public College Campuses

KBCraig

Other threads in other forums support Gov. Brewer because the bill was very flawed; supposedly she's submitting her own language that isn't ambiguous.

For those of use following along outside AZ, please: what is the current statute? And what does the proposed legislation try to fix?

mzbk2l

Actually I think the veto in this case is a good idea. In her letter she objected to the lack of definition to what a public right of way is. With ambiguity like that, it wouldn't be hard for the schools and courts to dictate policy. I remember that before Constitutional Carry, car carry was a grey area depending on who you talked to. I think with the law as it is written now has the potential to turn law abiding citizens into criminals because the law isn't clear on what areas are allowed and what constitutes a "public right of way."
+1

After the amendments, the bill became a bit ambiguous. Fred and AZCDL just got done fixing the situation dealing with the gray area of openly carried weapons in vehicles; is it really time to open the same can of worms again in regard to campus carry?

I'd like to see campus carry pass, and I think it will come to pass, but that's not enough reason for me to support this bill as amended. I don't have much heartburn with her veto, given the stated reasons for it.

Sonora Rebel

It offends me that people who have never faced a gunman in the confined space of a classroom would think that it makes sense to allow loaded guns on campus, and even through rights of way. Gov. Brewer apparently understood the dangers of allowing guns to be transported through school and college zones, and I applaud her for rejecting this legislation that needlessly put lives at risk. Given the tragedy of Tucson, it's heartening to see elected officials stand up to the gun lobby and wake up to what needs to be done to protect the public from gun violence.
-- Colin Goddard

Goddard... is a coward. Dude... sometimes ya gotta cowboy up and FIGHT BACK! If you have nothing to fight back with... you're dead meat. Were guns 'allowed' at VT? NO. Oh... all those GFZ signs really did the trick didn't they? Apparently they don't teach common sense anymore. Gun Lobby? This is Arizona pogue... Get used it it or take a hike.

JesseL

Super Saiyan

Don't forget...

It's been nearly two years since Arizona law was revised to allow CCW permit holders to carry into many establishments that serve alcohol. At the time, we heard the usual rheotirc: There will be blood in the streets, people will be drinking and shooting like in the Wild West, mixing alcohol and guns is a lethal combination, blah, blah, blah.
Well, like I said, it's been nearly two years. The streets look pretty clean to me, don't see any blood. Where are all of the drunken, gun-wielding CCW permit holders?
Wait...so you mean to tell me they can actually be trusted? And maybe, just maybe, they can be trusted enough to have their weapon on them while sitting in a classroom at GCC or while walking through MCC?
:banghead: I don't understand these people...

KBCraig

Thank you. It's clear that the OCDO map is incorrect, since AZ statutes allow schools to ban guns from the entire campus, and provides that any gun carried in violation of a school rule be seized and destroyed.

Current Texas law is actually better, even though we're working to improve it.

Edit: I agree that the bill was bad, and vague. If Brewer can get it corrected, she did the right thing by vetoing it.

Last edited:

Zhukov

I believe Brewer had an interview with Greta on Fox News where she stated "no guns on our university campuses"

That sounds less like she was doing it because it was just "sloppy" but because like many gun rights "advocates" they don't truly believe in true freedom.

“First, I want to say that I am a strong advocate of the Second Amendment — have a long 30-year history of supporting the Second Amendment and the Constitution,” Brewer said. “But the bill was just very poorly and sloppily written, and it just was not defined in the manner of which people could interpret it or could it be enforced.

“So you know, enough already — the legislation should have been crystal clear,” she said. “And so again, I moved forward and I vetoed the bill — no guns on our university campuses, no guns on our kindergarten campuses.”

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/guns-birth-Arizona-Brewer/2011/04/19/id/393296

Last edited:

Grimes

I believe Brewer had an interview with Greta on Fox News where she stated "no guns on our university campuses"

That sounds less like she was doing it because it was just "sloppy" but because like many gun rights "advocates" they don't truly believe in true freedom.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/guns-birth-Arizona-Brewer/2011/04/19/id/393296

The problem with that "-" they put in the middle of her quote is that it erased part of the quote, so you have no idea what it says there.

Let me give you an example.

"I am in no way, shape or form, a supporter of gun control."

"I am - a supporter of gun control."

See what happens, I want to read the entire quote she said before I make assumptions.

Also, you might want to find a more credible source than "newsmax".

Last edited:

MR Redenck

Brewer impresses me with her desire to have good laws in the state of Arizona. Laws that I dont have right here in Texas.
When I travel to Arizona , I have better rights than I do at home because of her support for my right to carry. Even as a Texans, I have better rights in Arizona.

I would like to show my support for her and people like the AzCDL guy's.
If the campus carry bill was favorable to the people of Arizona, im sure Brewer would have signed it. From what I gater, the bill had been chopped up and amended until it was worthless. If signed into law, people would have been at risk of getting serious charges against them. Those are the kind of laws the people in Arizona have worked so hard to get rid of!
Why would anyone want another?
Your legislature meets every year, unlike Texas. Yall can and will get a great campus carry.
Get rid of the people who screwed the bill up. Support Brewer because she'll sign it.
Sound easy enough?

JoeGlock40

i agree mr redneck..if the bill wasnt so screwed up when it made it to her desk she probably would have signed it, but since it was butchered up and unclear on rights of way then she probably figured next year theyll fix it and clean it up...for the people sayin she isnt all for us havin right to carry wherever and it was more political, if she wasnt for it then she wouldnt have signed constitutional carry..that a huge bill that she signed for us..how many other states can say their gov. would do that? just 2 others outa 50...ill stick with Brewer thank u...shes done more good for the gun folks of az than any other gov

Grimes

Hey, you win some, you lose some.

It's politics guys, it's the way things work.

While campus carry didn't pass, she did sign many other pro-2nd amendment bills.

OldCurlyWolf

Sonora

It offends me that people who have never faced a gunman in the confined space of a classroom would think that it makes sense to allow loaded guns on campus, and even through rights of way. Gov. Brewer apparently understood the dangers of allowing guns to be transported through school and college zones, and I applaud her for rejecting this legislation that needlessly put lives at risk. Given the tragedy of Tucson, it's heartening to see elected officials stand up to the gun lobby and wake up to what needs to be done to protect the public from gun violence.
-- Colin Goddard

Goddard... is a coward. Dude... sometimes ya gotta cowboy up and FIGHT BACK! If you have nothing to fight back with... you're dead meat. Were guns 'allowed' at VT? NO. Oh... all those GFZ signs really did the trick didn't they? Apparently they don't teach common sense anymore. Gun Lobby? This is Arizona pogue... Get used it it or take a hike.

When you bring in a quote like Goddard's from somewhere else, PLEASE make it more defined as a quote.

I skimmed it and almost started to blast you for a turncoat. Then I reread it.:cuss:

Grimes

Goddard and the anti-gunners teach people that it's ok to be a coward when they take away the means to defend yourself.

It makes me sick when people defend the "coward" way of logic.

I don't advocate being a hero to run to the scene to save the day, but when you have no other choice and no where to get away safely, you should have the means to defend yourself.

I hate mostly how he uses the shooting to advocate closing gun shows. The shooter bought his gun from a gun store with a "background check" (I thought the background check was "effective") They are really in no way connected.

He was an anti-gunner before the shooting and he just became more open about it when the incident happened.

That's how a Brady Campaign public advocate is born. They were an anti-gunner before, and when something happened to happen to them, they became all public about their views on why guns are bad.

You don't see that happen often with people who actually like guns, and understand that it's the individual and not the gun.

Last edited:

azcdlfred

She said, "While I support thoughtful expansion of where firearms should be allowed, the actual legislation that does so must be unambiguous and clear to protect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners. Senate Bill 1467 is neither."
She just wants it worded better, then she'll sign it.
Funny how she had problems with "public rights of way" in SB 1467, but when the same language was in HB 2500, she signed it.

Fred