Thread: Definition of a Vehicle

Definition of a Vehicle

So i was reading the carrying requirements for a "Vehicle" and it stated that trains with the exception of AMTRAK and STATE FERRY system, you can carry. If i'm reading it correctly then we can carry on the new Light Rail system. I've become a frequent traveler of the Seattle Light Rail system (daily) and as i was reading all the placards posted inside i did see one above the door that prohibits weapons onboard.

So if reading this law correctly we can carry but the sign said that we couldn't. Can someone clarify this for me. I'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by subaru2011sti View Post
    So i was reading the carrying requirements for a "Vehicle" and it stated that trains with the exception of AMTRAK and STATE FERRY system, you can carry. If i'm reading it correctly then we can carry on the new Light Rail system. I've become a frequent traveler of the Seattle Light Rail system (daily) and as i was reading all the placards posted inside i did see one above the door that prohibits weapons onboard.

So if reading this law correctly we can carry but the sign said that we couldn't. Can someone clarify this for me. I'd appreciate it.
    You may carry on the State Ferry system. You may carry on the light rail system, bus system, monorail. There is even an argument to be made that you can carry on Amtrak.

What were you reading? Can you post a link here?

The placard on the light rail system prohibits 'illegal' weapons, read it closer. It is a misnomer and what I refer to as 'serial misinformation'.

And WELCOME to the forum.

Live Free or Die!

If you read the sign carefully, I would wager that it says "no UNLAWFUL weapons". As long as you have a CPL and are legally allowed to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle you're ok. If the sign just says no weapons then the sign is wrong and most people on this forum would ignore it. There are many here who do. It is a little irritating that they post signs like that though. It just has a negative impact when an anti sees it and calls the cops to ruin your day.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Argument for carrying on Amtrak...

while it may be against the 'rules' of Amtrak...

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...arry-on-trains
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    while it may be against the 'rules' of Amtrak...

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...arry-on-trains

Interestingly, the AMTRAK rules only purport to ban carry of guns in "checked and carry-on baggage," not handguns carried on your person. AMTRAK further warrants that any passenger may refuse search or ID checks and "and a refund will be offered."

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    AMTRAK further warrants that any passenger may refuse search or ID checks and "and a refund will be offered."
    So you can carry but refuse search and end up not getting on the train. Accomplish one goal (carrying) and not the other (getting to your destination). Sounds reasonable.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Interestingly, the AMTRAK rules only purport to ban carry of guns in "checked and carry-on baggage," not handguns carried on your person. AMTRAK further warrants that any passenger may refuse search or ID checks and "and a refund will be offered."
    ....refuse and they may put you off, let alone not get on. My sister travels all over the country on the train. When we put her back on to head back east (March 2011), she raised an interesting question. I asked the station master (well, he was behind the counter anyway), if I was going to Montana to hunt, what was the deal with my firearms. He said, no problem just make sure they are unloaded and check them with your luggage.

I said, well...I am getting off at an unmanned station (no luggage service), what do I do? He said just take it on board with your carry on....

Carry on!

I'm in....
    Last edited by jt59; 04-19-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jt59 View Post
    ....refuse and they may put you off, let alone not get on. My sister travels all over the country on the train. When we put her back on to head back east (March 2011), she raised an interesting question. I asked the station master (well, he was behind the counter anyway), if I was going to Montana to hunt, what was the deal with my firearms. He said, no problem just make sure they are unloaded and check them with your luggage.

I said, well...I am getting off at an unmanned station (no luggage service), what do I do? He said just take it on board with your carry on....

Carry on!

I'm in....
    That's why he works for Amtrack. He's no rocket scientist.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    That's why he works for Amtrack. He's no rocket scientist.
    Hey! Maybe he's a rebel 2A supporter...
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

I 'know' someone....

who has carried CC on Amtrak. With the procedures and policies in place there seems to be no problem carrying concealed. And it is not illegal.
    Live Free or Die!

Thumbs up Cool

Thanks for your information, you guys are awesome

I'll take a look at the sign again but i'm sure it read "No weapons". Will verify in the morning and let you know.

So this means that we can OC? I do have a CPL.

Thanks,

I asked the station master (well, he was behind the counter anyway), if I was going to Montana to hunt, what was the deal with my firearms.
    In Montana you cannot carry on a train...
    Cite:
    Montana Code 45-8-339 Carrying Firearms on Train
    (1) Except as authorized by the management of a railroad, it is unlawful for a person not authorized to carry a weapon in the course of his official duties to knowingly or purposely carry or transport firearms on a train in this state unless, prior to boarding, the person has delivered all firearms and ammunition, if any, to the operator of the train. (2) A person violating this section shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 6 months, or both.
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 04-19-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Cite:
    (1) Except as authorized by the management of a railroad, it is unlawful for a person not authorized to carry a weapon in the course of his official duties to knowingly or purposely carry or transport firearms on a train in this state unless, prior to boarding, the person has delivered all firearms and ammunition, if any, to the operator of the train. (2) A person violating this section shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 6 months, or both.
    Good old Montana. A state where distances on the highway used to be measured by the number of six packs one had to consume between the start and finish points.

Cite:
    So, I read this: "(1) Except as authorized by the management of a railroad" to mean that as long as it's ok with Amtrak, its ok with Montana.

I got it.

So today i looked at the Light Rail placard inside one of the cabs and saw it right above the door. The exact verbage is "No weapons or firearms are allowed"

So is this legal?

So today i looked at the Light Rail placard inside one of the cabs and saw it right above the door. The exact verbage is "No weapons or firearms are allowed"

So is this legal?
    The sign is not legal. It violates state preemption.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

THanks

Looks like i'll be carrying on the Light Rail.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    The sign is not legal. It violates state preemption.
    +1

And I have carried on light rail.
    Live Free or Die!