• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Definition of a Vehicle

subaru2011sti

So i was reading the carrying requirements for a "Vehicle" and it stated that trains with the exception of AMTRAK and STATE FERRY system, you can carry. If i'm reading it correctly then we can carry on the new Light Rail system. I've become a frequent traveler of the Seattle Light Rail system (daily) and as i was reading all the placards posted inside i did see one above the door that prohibits weapons onboard.

So if reading this law correctly we can carry but the sign said that we couldn't. Can someone clarify this for me. I'd appreciate it.:banghead:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So i was reading the carrying requirements for a "Vehicle" and it stated that trains with the exception of AMTRAK and STATE FERRY system, you can carry. If i'm reading it correctly then we can carry on the new Light Rail system. I've become a frequent traveler of the Seattle Light Rail system (daily) and as i was reading all the placards posted inside i did see one above the door that prohibits weapons onboard.

So if reading this law correctly we can carry but the sign said that we couldn't. Can someone clarify this for me. I'd appreciate it.:banghead:

You may carry on the State Ferry system. You may carry on the light rail system, bus system, monorail. There is even an argument to be made that you can carry on Amtrak.

What were you reading? Can you post a link here?

The placard on the light rail system prohibits 'illegal' weapons, read it closer. It is a misnomer and what I refer to as 'serial misinformation'.

And WELCOME to the forum.

190755_1306245672724_1728023493_571843_8171796_n.jpg

tombrewster421

If you read the sign carefully, I would wager that it says "no UNLAWFUL weapons". As long as you have a CPL and are legally allowed to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle you're ok. If the sign just says no weapons then the sign is wrong and most people on this forum would ignore it. There are many here who do. It is a little irritating that they post signs like that though. It just has a negative impact when an anti sees it and calls the cops to ruin your day.

Bill Starks

State Researcher

jt59

Interestingly, the AMTRAK rules only purport to ban carry of guns in "checked and carry-on baggage," not handguns carried on your person. AMTRAK further warrants that any passenger may refuse search or ID checks and "and a refund will be offered."

....refuse and they may put you off, let alone not get on. My sister travels all over the country on the train. When we put her back on to head back east (March 2011), she raised an interesting question. I asked the station master (well, he was behind the counter anyway), if I was going to Montana to hunt, what was the deal with my firearms. He said, no problem just make sure they are unloaded and check them with your luggage.

I said, well...I am getting off at an unmanned station (no luggage service), what do I do? He said just take it on board with your carry on....

Carry on!

I'm in....

Last edited:

amlevin

....refuse and they may put you off, let alone not get on. My sister travels all over the country on the train. When we put her back on to head back east (March 2011), she raised an interesting question. I asked the station master (well, he was behind the counter anyway), if I was going to Montana to hunt, what was the deal with my firearms. He said, no problem just make sure they are unloaded and check them with your luggage.

I said, well...I am getting off at an unmanned station (no luggage service), what do I do? He said just take it on board with your carry on....

Carry on!

I'm in....

That's why he works for Amtrack. He's no rocket scientist.

subaru2011sti

Cool

Thanks for your information, you guys are awesome:cool:

I'll take a look at the sign again but i'm sure it read "No weapons". Will verify in the morning and let you know.

So this means that we can OC? I do have a CPL.

Thanks,

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I asked the station master (well, he was behind the counter anyway), if I was going to Montana to hunt, what was the deal with my firearms.

In Montana you cannot carry on a train...
Cite:
Montana Code 45-8-339 Carrying Firearms on Train
(1) Except as authorized by the management of a railroad, it is unlawful for a person not authorized to carry a weapon in the course of his official duties to knowingly or purposely carry or transport firearms on a train in this state unless, prior to boarding, the person has delivered all firearms and ammunition, if any, to the operator of the train. (2) A person violating this section shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 6 months, or both.

Last edited:

amlevin

Cite:
(1) Except as authorized by the management of a railroad, it is unlawful for a person not authorized to carry a weapon in the course of his official duties to knowingly or purposely carry or transport firearms on a train in this state unless, prior to boarding, the person has delivered all firearms and ammunition, if any, to the operator of the train. (2) A person violating this section shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 6 months, or both.

Good old Montana. A state where distances on the highway used to be measured by the number of six packs one had to consume between the start and finish points.

jt59

Cite:

So, I read this: "(1) Except as authorized by the management of a railroad" to mean that as long as it's ok with Amtrak, its ok with Montana.

subaru2011sti

I got it.

So today i looked at the Light Rail placard inside one of the cabs and saw it right above the door. The exact verbage is "No weapons or firearms are allowed"

So is this legal?