Thread: Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office only accepting CPL applications Tuesday-Thursday???

Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office only accepting CPL applications Tuesday-Thursday???

I got a call today from a buddy who went down to the sheriff's office to apply for a CPL. He was turned away. They said they only do that from Tuesday through Thursday.

So right away, i decided to look at the RCW. Here's the first section:
    Quote Originally Posted by RCW 9.41.070
    The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.
    Looks like the key word here is completed. Where is one to get the application if they won't give you one? How would one go about getting their fingerprints done if the issuing authority won't do it?

Is this a loophole for issuing authorities to keep from issuing permits?
    "If you don't want to be shorn, don't be sheep!"

I understand Federal Way also issues by appointment as well.

My local PD only prints by appointment. The application isn't completed until the prints are take so the time starts after the appointment.

I would expect many small departments that might not have a full time fingerprint tech or have one available on demand to use the appointment system.

The Cowlitz Co practice doesn't seem all that strange.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Thats what I like about Sno Co. Just show up between 9am and 3:30pm, except for lunch time.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

They have a nice page explaing the process. I often call or check websites for information.

http://www.co.cowlitz.wa.us/sheriff/civil/cpl.html

It may seem crappy only three days a week, but you know the RCW does not define which days, or how many days, just during regular business hours. Their web site shows Office Hours 0830-1700, CLP hours 1000-1630, only a two hour difference, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    My local PD only prints by appointment. The application isn't completed until the prints are take so the time starts after the appointment.

I would expect many small departments that might not have a full time fingerprint tech or have one available on demand to use the appointment system.

The Cowlitz Co practice doesn't seem all that strange.
    Same here. I don't think it's any conspiracy to try to avoid issuing. It's just when they have the personnel available.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Designated hours....

It's simply called cost savings...

I think we have all heard about the need to cut budgets and such from schools to the state and Federal level...

Most smaller and larger agencies have cut the hours and designated specific hours. It's best to check with your local LEO agency.

It's not required that they be open 24/7.

Unless you want to pay more in "taxes"......... which like 99% of the rest of us... you don't.

You only have to do it once every 5 years.... apply and renew.
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

"Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

B'ham

The City of Subdued Excitement only prints on tues and thurs. Same thing , personnel and money. Everybody is short on both.

When I got my original CPL in Anacortes 13-14 years ago they only fingerprinted on Wednesday afternoons.

Yea, when I went to get mine at Kelso PD, they told me the same thing.