• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office only accepting CPL applications Tuesday-Thursday???

therealcombat

I got a call today from a buddy who went down to the sheriff's office to apply for a CPL. He was turned away. They said they only do that from Tuesday through Thursday.

So right away, i decided to look at the RCW. Here's the first section:
RCW 9.41.070 said:
The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Looks like the key word here is completed. Where is one to get the application if they won't give you one? How would one go about getting their fingerprints done if the issuing authority won't do it?

Is this a loophole for issuing authorities to keep from issuing permits?

amlevin

My local PD only prints by appointment. The application isn't completed until the prints are take so the time starts after the appointment.

I would expect many small departments that might not have a full time fingerprint tech or have one available on demand to use the appointment system.

The Cowlitz Co practice doesn't seem all that strange.

jbone

They have a nice page explaing the process. I often call or check websites for information.

http://www.co.cowlitz.wa.us/sheriff/civil/cpl.html

It may seem crappy only three days a week, but you know the RCW does not define which days, or how many days, just during regular business hours. Their web site shows Office Hours 0830-1700, CLP hours 1000-1630, only a two hour difference, sounds pretty reasonable to me.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
My local PD only prints by appointment. The application isn't completed until the prints are take so the time starts after the appointment.

I would expect many small departments that might not have a full time fingerprint tech or have one available on demand to use the appointment system.

The Cowlitz Co practice doesn't seem all that strange.

Same here. I don't think it's any conspiracy to try to avoid issuing. It's just when they have the personnel available.

oldkim

Designated hours....

It's simply called cost savings...

I think we have all heard about the need to cut budgets and such from schools to the state and Federal level...

Most smaller and larger agencies have cut the hours and designated specific hours. It's best to check with your local LEO agency.

It's not required that they be open 24/7.

Unless you want to pay more in "taxes"......... which like 99% of the rest of us... you don't.

You only have to do it once every 5 years.... apply and renew.