• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk universal holsters at Walmart

Barnett3006

So, a week or 2 ago I noticed that My 2 local Walmarts have Blackhawk "universal" fit retention holsters in the sporting goods section...they go for $12 - $18 depending on the size and claim to be Hecho in USA. I could use a universal holster or 2 because I have quite a few handguns that I would like to carry on occasion but I do not have proper holsters for and currently lack the funds for good, fitted holsters.

I realize that you get less then you pay for at Walmart, but I would like some opinions if anyone has experience with these holsters. They would see occasional use to carry in the woods for fishing and hunting and might see a trip or to into town when I'm not carrying my primary, of which I have a good holster for.

Sc0tt

mms_picture.jpg

If you are talking about this holster then Yes I would recomend it.

I use it as general use holster. I use it around the house, when I am out camping, and in public when I know I dont need to take my gun off very often through out the day.

It has great retention, Is very confortable, is durabe, washable, adjustable.
I got mine for 9.99 and it was worth every penny. Somtimes I prefer it over my 35.oo Fobus paddle.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
They are good for general use, but like you already said, nothing beats a well made, good-fitting holster.

Barnett3006

Thanks for the insight, I may pick one of these up. You guys think they will withstand carrying a heavy full-size like my all steel 10mm Tanfoglio Witness or will the weight make the seams come apart?

Motofixxer

I have a very similar one, I believe it is from Walmart a few years ago. I think it is ok for light use. I don't like it for regular carry of a full size firearm though. It seems to flop too much and seems a little bit unstable. I bought a serpa level 2 and definitely prefer it.

Brion

They also sell universal mag pouches from Blackhawk at my walmart. I needed one for my XD45 mags and for the life of me I couldn't ever find one that would fit, but those are not bad. I'd like something a little more rugged, but they will do for now.

Aknazer

They sell these on base at my exchange as well. I have one for my XDm 40 and one for a Taurus TCP. Overall I like them and have even worn them while on longish walks in 80 degree weather. The issues I've had have only been with the XDm and they are that first it doesn't hold the snugly against you (it leans forward slightly) and second is that the nylon doesn't fully cover the rear sight area (only bothers me when the metal is cold as not enough metal is uncovered to cause chafing). I don't have these issues with the Taurus so I believe it just has to do with the size and weight of the XDm combined with the type of belt retention the holster uses.

But overall its great for the price and for smaller guns that won't overload the belt strap, and still works for larger guns but at a greater risk of printing if you don't have a jacket or hoodie on. The nylon breathes well and I never had issues with sweating or chafing from the nylon and both guns felt fairly secure while CCing.