• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ACTION ALERT: SUPPORT the fight to save SB 17 and HB 45

SigP229

Fellow Ohioans,

I have started this thread because I haven’t found anything on the site specifically regarding efforts to support other pro-gun groups that are fighting to try to save SB 17 and HB 45.

Mainstream media is backing the Ohio Restaurant Association in an all out attack in opposing this important legislation. Gun groups such as the NRA, OFCC and BFA are all in a dog fight, writing letters and making calls to legislators and ORA Board Members asking why they oppose the bills and providing them with the numerous benefits that the passing of this legislation would bring to Ohio.

As supporters of Second Amendment issues, I would ask you all to update yourselves and to join in the struggle by writing letters and making calls to your State Representatives encouraging them to support this legislation.

As a columnist, I have written several articles since the introduction of HB 45 and HB 54, which you can read on Examiner. Com, by following the link provided here: Cleveland Gun Rights Examiner Articles.

Here are a couple of useful links: some pro and some anti, that you should visit to get a good feel for what I’m trying to say. These are just a few of the many links that will help you understand the magnitude of the war that’s raging.

What a great idea: a designated shooterCold beer, hot lead go together…How?Restaurant opposition might stop gun bill in HouseReptrackerBoycott Ohio Restaurant Association

Hopefully the Mods will post this as a Sticky so that it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle. These are issues important to us all and deserve the attention of every pro- Second Amendment group across the Nation and particularly within Ohio.

SigP229

UPDATE: OHIO HB 45 and HB54 5/3/2011

Word is that the House will be holding a Republican Caucus this evening to discuss these two bills. The information comes from OFCC Forums.

I had emailed Budp's office a while back a link to Anomaly's RepTracker just so he could see what reps are telling their constituents or whatever help it might be. Much to my surprise, one of the co-sponsor representatives just called me, he was looking at the site and wanted me to explain it to him a little more. He said they are going to use the information at the caucus tonight to hold rep's feet to the fire if they don't match up, mentioning the "number BFA did" on Lundy this week. He said to tell my friends (aka other people on this forum) to turn up the pressure on the maybes, especially the dems. They want to vote on it next week but may decide to go with 17 since already amended and voted on in the Senate. Nice work guys!

The Reptracker is here: http://reptracker.beingbuilt.net/hb45/. I's doubtful that we'll hear anyhing today, but I will update as information becomes available.

SigP229

Updates

Looking forward to more updates. Thanks Sig!

You're more than welcome. SB 17 and SB 61 were referred to the State Committee on Government and Elections yesterday [5/3/2011]. The first hearing hasn't appeared on the calendar yet.

There's a lot swirling around concerning all 4 bills. Whatever I can find out, I'll post it ASAP.

SigP229

SB 17 and HB 45

Nothing new from the House other than SB 17 and SB 61 were referred to the Committee on State Government and Elections on Tuesday, May 3, 2011.

I wrote this article mostly to amuse readers, but to also recap what has happened up to this point. DON'T TAKE THE UNOFFICIAL TALLY AS GOSPEL, YET!

The gun-owners, armed to the teeth with years of gleaming statistics of licensees abiding by the laws of the State, the success of similar legislation in other States, economic impact and reduction in crime, stunned its opponents from the opening gavel.
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-cleveland/ohio-s-second-amendment-legislation-what-s-next

detroit_fan

Nothing new from the House other than SB 17 and SB 61 were referred to the Committee on State Government and Elections on Tuesday, May 3, 2011.

I wrote this article mostly to amuse readers, but to also recap what has happened up to this point. DON'T TAKE THE UNOFFICIAL TALLY AS GOSPEL, YET!

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-cleveland/ohio-s-second-amendment-legislation-what-s-next

I really hope the numbers hold up, there is no reason not to pass these common sense bills. Thanks again for the update Sig

SigP229

SB 17 and HB 45

Is there video anywhere of the restaurant association testifying against concealed carry?

I can't say that I know of any video of the ORA testifying in the committee hearings; I'd have to dig into the archives to see. I'll see what I can find.

SigP229

SUPPORT Rae Lynn Brady for House District 57

I know this is off-topic; however it is important to all Ohioans. I'm sure you know of the situation where Rep. Matt Lundy lied to get the endorsements of gun owners in his reelection campaign. Here's a recap of yesterday's town hall meeting with Lundy: http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-cleveland/ohio-legislature-sorely-misinformed-about-house-bill-45. The man showed no remorse about lying to get our votes.

On that note, I took the liberty of contacting Ms. Brady who lost to Lundy by 3,141 votes in 2010. She has the highest BFA rating without being endorsed. I am posting her email here and asking you to help by voluneteering, helping with fundraisers, town hall meetings, or whatever else you can do to help send this lady to Columbus to Represent Elyria.

Hello Mr. SigP229:
Thank you so much for the email. I have been asked by several people to run again because of Lundy's voting this year. I am seriously thinking of running again. There are so many problems facing the State of Ohio and things are getting tougher each year. I came really close, closer than the Democrats thought I would, so I think another run might be in the mix. I planned on working with the people in District 57 and if I run again will do so again. The biggest problem running is the funding. Things are tough and the funds are not readily available. That is probably going to be the biggest factor if I take it on again. Thank you very much and look forward to hearing from you.
Rae Lynn Brady

SigP229

F.O.P. Opposition to SB17/HB45

The F.O.P. has been our strongest opposition to these bills, but my question is WHY?

Read my article, watch the video, and then you decide.

So what’s the real deal as to why the F.O.P. Union is so opposed to these bills? Is it a genuine concern for the public that gun-owners might be drawn into gun-fights with drunken patrons. Is it that some people may not be comfortable knowing that someone sitting next to them may be carrying a concealed weapon?

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Is the F.O.P. Trying to Protect us from Gun-owners or Police? - Cleveland gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ct-us-from-gun-owners-or-police#ixzz1LpfDnKjd

SigP229

HB45/54 Vote Tomorrow

The bills will be voted on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM.

The right to remain armed would also extend to the employees of these establishments such as cooks, wait staff, coat check, maintenance personnel and others. It would also apply vendors such as food and beverage delivery, repair services, etc.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: House Bills 45 and 54 Go Up For Vote - Cleveland gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-cleveland/house-bills-45-and-54-go-up-for-vote#ixzz1LzUpCO3W

SigP229

A must read!

Everyone should read this:
We normally view legislation as a two-party mechanism where more often than not, bipartisan decisions are made. It has recently come to the Cleveland Gun Rights Examiners’ attention that there are not two, but three parties in Ohio’s General Assembly.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: OHIO: Another One Bites The Dust! - Cleveland gun rights | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-cleveland/ohio-another-one-bites-the-dust#ixzz1MBTaDenD

Remember who your friends were come time for election.

SigP229

Hb45/sb17

Good read, thanks. I red your other article the other day and it seems that the senate should be no problem, but what has the Gov said about this bill? Do you think he will veto it?

The Governor has said that he will sign whichever one of the bills that come to him first. It should be a slam dunk from here.

Thanks for all of your support!

detroit_fan

The Governor has said that he will sign whichever one of the bills that come to him first. It should be a slam dunk from here.

Thanks for all of your support!

Woohoo! This will make my trips to OH so much better. I'm only 14 miles from Toledo, so I'm there a lot. Can't thank you enough for all the updates Sig!