• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry/Home Defense Gun

hvtopiwala

Im looking for a good carry and home defense gun that is DA/SA, has safetys, and is double stack lol...

ideally a merger of a 1911 and a Glock would be the preferred gun :) i like the sigs, but they didnt have a thumb safety which is what im really looking for. any suggestions???

RELIABILITY is key as well.

XDFDE45

You didn't list if you were looking for a 9mm, .40 or .45 so I'll take a guess. The S&W M&P has models that come with a manual safety, and they also come with 3 interchangeable back straps. That is the one that comes to mind right away but I'm sure others will chime in with something else.

hvtopiwala

oops, yea im looking for a 40sw....

the Smith and Wesson M&P can do both, DA and SA?

Last edited:

XDFDE45

CRAP!!! Forgot it is a striker fired pistol
eusa_doh.gif
. Might want to look into a Beretta. Is a DA/SA and a manual safety a must? The Glock is not a true DA and if you are looking into a pistol with a combo of a 1911/Glock many of the striker fired pistols would do the job IMO.

Last edited:

SteyrAUG

Your home defense gun really shouldn't be limited to a handgun. Carbines are far more accurate, generally have higher capacities and are a better platform for weapon lights and optics.

The only reason we don't use them for carry guns is it is hard to find a holster.

For a carry gun look at the HKs and FNs, they seem to fit your criteria.

Last edited:

hvtopiwala

yeah i completely agree. i have a shotty for HD...but i am carryign this pistol 24/7 so i want somethign that fits what i need for that too.

MITCH

Im looking for a good carry and home defense gun that is DA/SA, has safetys, and is double stack lol...

ideally a merger of a 1911 and a Glock would be the preferred gun :) i like the sigs, but they didnt have a thumb safety which is what im really looking for. any suggestions???

RELIABILITY is key as well.
Have you looked at the CZ Rami? It has all the features you listed. I've have the CZ 75B and the Rami. The Rami is light weight for carry, double stack mag, DA/SA, both external and internal safties.
Mitch

09jisaac

I know that you are looking for a hammer fired gun with safeties, but I second that opinion of the M&P. I have it in 9mm and love it. It is my personal carry gun.

And if you are worried about kids getting it you can always just keep the mag separate if you get one that can't fire without the mag.

I just now looked, you can also get one with a thumb safety. I have one of the 1st models that don't have the safeties.

hvtopiwala

i like the S&W but as i said, i wanted a DA/SA while the S&W is a striker fire. I already own a Glock 23 so i didnt want another striker fire pistol

j4l

2 come to mind,right off the bat.-all good choices

FNP

Bersa Thunder 40

Taurus PT840

All 3 are full-ambi,hi=cap, DA/SA w. decockers.

j4l

Far as I've heard, they've been quiet good.
But always take interweb "reliability" -or not- stuff with a huge grain of salt- good or bad.There's a lot of brand snobbery out here, where folks will try to tell you that only Brand X Y or Z are worth anything-with or without any 1st-hand knowledge.

The Bersa, Ive no 1st hand info- I was researching it, most I found was positive. Went with another make/model, more for ergonomic reasons than anything. The .45 grip was so thick I couldnt get my hand around it. Only reason I didnt get the Bersa.

TrailRunner

I'd say you'd have more options if you let go of wanting the thumb safety. Proper handling and respect for the firearm is far more likely to prevent a ND, IMHO.

45acpForMe

While I can make an argument either way for a thumb safety I have to admit that I love my H&K USP! They come in 40s&w too but mine is 45acp.

While practice make a thumb safety simple, waking up at 4am in the dark with an intruder coming at you might not be the time you want to be futsing with a thumb safety. :)

The nice advantage of the USP (and some others) is that you can rack the slide with the safety on so that you can load and unload "safely".

I also have Sig P220 (8+1), FNP-45 (14/15+1) both great guns in 45acp. I haven't checked out higher capacity 40's but the P226 I think is 13+1 and the FNP-40 is I think still 14/15+1 depending on the magazine.

Last edited:

09jisaac

While practice make a thumb safety simple, waking up at 4am in the dark with an intruder coming at you might not be the time you want to be futsing with a thumb safety. :)

I figure it would have something to do with children being in the house. I know I would want as many ways to keep from hurting/killing someone (that doesn't deserve it) as I can.

Michigander

Manual safeties are a good idea at first glance, but are actually a terrible idea because they are one more thing to fumble over and prevent you from killing a bad guy before he can kill you. Glock and Sig left them off for very good reasons. Furthermore, if you carry responsibly in a good holster, you will have no problems with a gun with no safety, and you'll be that much more ready if you ever have to draw.

That said, as mentioned, if you insist on a manual safety, I would suggest a FNP because it is a cheaper version of the P series Sig's, and comes with manual safeties. They can be carried cocked and locked, or DA with the safety off. If you're sure you want that, it's there for you.

45acpForMe

<snip> That said, as mentioned, if you insist on a manual safety, I would suggest a FNP because it is a cheaper version of the P series Sig's, and comes with manual safeties. They can be carried cocked and locked, or DA with the safety off. If you're sure you want that, it's there for you.

I really like the FNP-45 but it is large so depending on your hand size you may or may not like it. If you have regular to large hands though it is fine but "feel" is totally subjective.

I prefer a properly holstered handgun to a handgun with a thumb safety. Since 1911's are single action I like a thumb safety on them and any other gun you are going to carry cocked-and-locked. :) One other thing is that you "don't" have to use the thumb safety if you find a gun you like that has one but whatever you do train for how you will carry it.

Outdoorsman1

Probably does not pertain to the OP, but my home defence unit is the Mossberg Persuader (12ga.) and my carry sidearm is a Springfield Armory XD-40..(.40 cal.)

I like the saftey features of the XD as well as I beleive it is "double stacked" (?) with a mag capacity of 12 rounds.. I am not too knowledgeable on the SA/DA topic as it relates to semi atuomatic pistols, so that is why this might not apply to the original post...

I would also have no problem in defending my home with the XD as I keep it on my bed side table "just in case"...

Just my $0.02

Outdoorsman1

Last edited: