• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at EMU......?

Scooter

Have been invited to a movie screening at the Student Center at EMU. I have a CPL, I am not a student there: okay to OC? The EMU website only mentions students not being able to have firearms on campus.

What say you?

xmanhockey7

Have been invited to a movie screening at the Student Center at EMU. I have a CPL, I am not a student there: okay to OC? The EMU website only mentions students not being able to have firearms on campus.

What say you?

Whether you have a CPL or not is irrevelant from what I can tell (if you're ocing). If your paying for the event and they don't allow OC then simply leave and don't allow them to get your money. If its something you really want to go to for whatever reason I'd suggest CC, but its all up to you. This is all assuming you are 100% legal on their campus. If the studet center isn't a dorm or classroom building ids why you can CC.

Scooter

Whether you have a CPL or not is irrevelant from what I can tell (if you're ocing). If your paying for the event and they don't allow OC then simply leave and don't allow them to get your money. If its something you really want to go to for whatever reason I'd suggest CC, but its all up to you. This is all assuming you are 100% legal on their campus. If the studet center isn't a dorm or classroom building ids why you can CC.

I had thought a University was a PFZ therefore requiring OC with a CPL....I'll have to research it....
The event is free, I was invited by some of my filmmaker friends who have their films showing.

EDIT TO ADD:
Just checked my CPL card; I will not be in a classroom or dorm at EMU so I am good to go.

Last edited:

quarter horseman

xman please be a little more clear, I'm confused. Did you just say someone can cc in a school? Did I miss a new law cause I dont remember that one passing not yet anyway.

nevermind The Q answered it, thanks Q

Last edited:

TheQ

Michigan Universities, such as EMU, are not covered under preemption AND have the ability to create their own laws. Research EMU ordinances and see if they have a firearm ordinance. I'll bet they do.

Scooter

From A2.com
"The University of Michigan, Eastern Michigan University and Washtenaw Community College all have ordinances barring firearms from campus, except for those carried by campus police."

grrrrrr....grumble,grumble...

xmanhockey7

From A2.com
"The University of Michigan, Eastern Michigan University and Washtenaw Community College all have ordinances barring firearms from campus, except for those carried by campus police."

grrrrrr....grumble,grumble...

Did it mention any other schools?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Why not read the actual "Rule" instead of referring to a general statement on A2.com? There are always exceptions... :)

http://www.emich.edu/policies/chapter9/9-4_policy.pdf

Looks like cc (or oc), if they found out, MIGHT get you a "Hey friend, you have to leave..." lol As long as the place isn't "An entertainment facility that the individual knows or should know has a seating capacity of 2,500 or more", if cc, that is.

ETA: "The Auditorium, with a capacity of 250, is a perfect space for concerts, movies and presentations."

Is it being held here? http://www.emich.edu/studentcenter/eventplanning/event-spaces.html

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
My geology class went out on work-sites... was that a classroom?

I don't think the fact that it is used for instruction every now and then would qualify it as a classroom... much like CADL claiming they are a "school" because children may be in the library to do some reading... Or, even better, don't carry at various businesses because there might be a HS student who is placed there through a high-school level vocational program.
If the logic were taken to an extreme, then NO PLACE would be a place where one could cc by virtue of having possibly been used as a place where instruction MAY have taken place. Just sayin'...

Bronson

I agree with you but I think a University/College would not. I think they would push the classroom angle if a room on campus was used for scheduled classes...even if only occasionally.

Bronson

jmlefler

Michigan Universities, such as EMU, are not covered under preemption AND have the ability to create their own laws. Research EMU ordinances and see if they have a firearm ordinance. I'll bet they do.

This needs more research. Most certainly the schools chartered under the Michigan Consititution (Wayne State, U of M and MSU) can create their own 'ordinances'. Other schools, I'm not so sure. They may have 'policies', but these generally apply only to employees and students, as their only recourse is dismissal or expulsion. Our local community college, KVCC (Kalamazoo Valley Community College) had an ordinance covering possession of a firearm adopted years ago by Texas Township. After pointing our the illegality and unenforceability of such an ordinance (oh yea, 30 emails, 9 months and 2 appearances at Township meetings), the ordinance was removed. They recognized that they did not have the statutory authority to enact, let alone enforce, such an ordinance.

So while the three Constitutional Universities are not covered under preemption, I'm much less clear that this holds true for all public universities and colleges. Private property rights enable any private property owner to control behavior on their private premises.

Carry on

xmanhockey7

This needs more research. Most certainly the schools chartered under the Michigan Consititution (Wayne State, U of M and MSU) can create their own 'ordinances'. Other schools, I'm not so sure. They may have 'policies', but these generally apply only to employees and students, as their only recourse is dismissal or expulsion. Our local community college, KVCC (Kalamazoo Valley Community College) had an ordinance covering possession of a firearm adopted years ago by Texas Township. After pointing our the illegality and unenforceability of such an ordinance (oh yea, 30 emails, 9 months and 2 appearances at Township meetings), the ordinance was removed. They recognized that they did not have the statutory authority to enact, let alone enforce, such an ordinance.

So while the three Constitutional Universities are not covered under preemption, I'm much less clear that this holds true for all public universities and colleges. Private property rights enable any private property owner to control behavior on their private premises.

Carry on

Are those the only schools covered under Michigan Constitution? Also can you provide a little more proof? I'm guessing what you're saying is other colleges like KVCC (WMU????) would not be allowed to make those ordinances?

TheQ

Pay close attention to research on the Michigan Community College act of 1966. I think you'll find they have much power.

Scooter

The film screening was this past Tuesday, good work from people I know. The ordinance stuff is confusing to say the least and is something I will be looking for solid answers on, if there are any...?

TheQ

The film screening was this past Tuesday, good work from people I know. The ordinance stuff is confusing to say the least and is something I will be looking for solid answers on, if there are any...?

Unless you have the money to be the test case, I wouldn't do it. You could jeopardize your CPL if convicted.