• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Skidmark proceeding to trial - Sept 13th, 2011

USNA69

I'm sure more than a few of you remember the cartoon character Poindexter. He was in Felix the Cat back in the 60's...

IMHO ...

In the interest of maintaining the moral high ground for the 2A community, perhaps we should avoid any satirizing, parodying, demeaning, or other ad hominem comments regarding Mr. Poindexter. The media will say little about the righteousness of our court case, but they will surely magnify and misrepresent any verbal attacks.

His actions will say far more about him than anything we could say. He does not need our help.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

IMHO ...

In the interest of maintaining the moral high ground for the 2A community, perhaps we should avoid any satirizing, parodying, demeaning, or other ad hominem comments regarding Mr. Poindexter. The media will say little about the righteousness of our court case, but they will surely magnify and misrepresent any verbal attacks.

His actions will say far more about him than anything we could say. He does not need our help.

+1

Let the legal ass kicking the gentleman and Surry is going to take speak for you. No need to make it personal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IMHO ...

Agreed that personal attacks and character assassination can be unwarranted for the most part. When the effort goes to motivation and tactics/procedures, I see no wrong in being critical of the conduct of others. It leads to the very core of the problem in this matter.

There is a distinction between looking for mistakes, errors, inabilities, weaknesses, distortions, capacity, professionalism (all of which abound) and maintaining an objective POV. We don't need to stoop for what some have so graciously provided.

They dig their own hole - meanwhile we shall take pictures, record it, copy it and report it - as circumstances allow. The truth will come out and it is not all pretty.

riverrat10k

I have tried in my postings about the trials to report facts, unless otherwise noted. I only reported what I personally witnessed. No need to disparage anyone. Facts speak for themselves.

sidestreet

Agree with riverrat...,

I commented on what I saw in court, left out a lot, don't know the CA personally, but his performance in the courtroom was anything but typical of my experience, and I thank the Lord my experience isn't that extensive. He seemed desperate and I hope that's truly the case. One thing is for sure, "time will tell", and in my opinion, one of the things government wastes more than our money, is time, so I guess we should get prepared for the long haul.

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Time for another trip to Surry.
I need to check the file for anything new, see what new tall tales the Assistant clerk has, see if Securiguard is doing something new for the high security memo and talk to someone new that called me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Time for another trip to Surry.
I need to check the file for anything new, see what new tall tales the Assistant clerk has, see if Securiguard is doing something new for the high security memo and talk to someone new that called me.

:lol:

OneWildChild

Because of the extended time factor and other circumstances effecting this, we are reactivating the "donate" button for any who wish to contribute. Most definitely we do not want to come up short.

Hi all, I have been an lurking reader of the forum for the past few months and just donated (and finally joined to post a note of support).

Keep up the great work,
OWC

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi all, I have been an lurking reader of the forum for the past few months and just donated (and finally joined to post a note of support).

Keep up the great work,
OWC

Appreciate the response. It has been a long haul and it isn't near over yet.

Orion

Recently joined the forum, after lurking for many months. Lost track of this case for awhile. Glad to see that 1 charge was dismissed. Let's hope the CA comes to his senses or that the judge follows the law and smacks down this second charge.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not much new going on in Surry. Considering the fact that Homeland Security is afraid the sky may be falling again, security was non existent at the ferry...none at all.

The Clerks office was unusually polite and even filed the paperwork in the proper file.

I talked to a few new sources and got some interesting gossip. It's still unclear if I'll be able to use it.

User filed another motion which was his usual masterful work. He is the most no nonsense lawyer I know...

I'll let User or Skidmark release any other information they feel they can.

user

Accomplished Advocate
The motion- to be heard in the Surry GDC on May 17 at 9 am "or as soon thereafter.."

What Peter Nap filed for me today was a "motion in limine", Latin that basically means, "pretrial motion". The purpose of the motion was to dismiss the remaining charge, or at least to exclude evidence at trial.

The argument is that the Commonwealth, through its agents and employees, had possession of video evidence of what happened on the day of the incident and, having actual knowledge of its importance to the defense (because it would show that Skidmark never did anything that could be characterized as "brandishing"), used shenanigans and delay tactics to arrange for the video evidence to be destroyed "through routine normal processes". They claimed they couldn't even produce any documents relating to the nature of the recording equipment used, such that either I or the Court would be able to tell whether that's really what happened. They said it was a matter of "national security", at least until everyone was sure the evidence was really gone, then the argument became moot and went away.

So, if I have my way, the case will either be dismissed, or the judge will enter an order prohibiting the introduction of any evidence that relates to Skidmark' physical behavior at the terminal on Oct. 29, 2010 (i.e., what would have shown up on the video had it been properly preserved).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not much new going on in Surry. Considering the fact that Homeland Security is afraid the sky may be falling again, security was non existent at the ferry...none at all.

Does their contract allow them to all be on vacation at the same time?

Ooops, I forgot that they have security cameras and they record all of the time. Guess they review them regularly.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Does their contract allow them to all be on vacation at the same time?

Ooops, I forgot that they have security cameras and they record all of the time. Guess they review them regularly.

Considering all the hype about retaliation for killing Osama...they haven't upped the Bert and Ernie scale any.
The newest Ferry started spewing oil all over the James river last night though and it was surrounded by oil containing floats today.

marsec.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Special hearing date for new motions - Tuesday, May 17th.

Don't have a confirmed time yet.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I'd be interested in that, myself. I had the praecipe filed last week that placed the motion on the docket for the seventeenth at nine o'clock "or as soon thereafter as counsel may be heard", but the docket displayed on the Supreme Court's case information website still shows nothing. Very odd, indeed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'd be interested in that, myself. I had the praecipe filed last week that placed the motion on the docket for the seventeenth at nine o'clock "or as soon thereafter as counsel may be heard", but the docket displayed on the Supreme Court's case information website still shows nothing. Very odd, indeed.

That was interesting..
I just talked to Deborah Hatcher (The Clerk) and she didn't know anything about it.
I told her that Charlene had paper clipped it to the outside of Paul's file but if they had lost it, I had a datestamped copy I could bring for their records.

She said she'd been out of the office but would check into it and for me to call back at 11:00.