• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to enforce Slower Traffic Move Right

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That video was great. I usually just move over when there is a cop behind me. I would just rather have them in front so I can resume speeding.

Badger Johnson

Four or five lanes of traffic is not hogging the 'fast lane' and tailgating is not safe. I'd be taking down that moron's lic no. and calling his chief.

KBCraig

Fail.

The proper way to enforce "keep right except to pass" (NOT "slower traffic move right"), is just like the Germans do: no speed limit, and if you're hit from behind in any lane except the right-most lane, you're automatically charged at fault for the accident.

We don't know what speed the car was driving. About a dozen years ago they had a minor scandal in Little Rock, where police cars would charge up behind cars in the left lane in heavy traffic (no lights flashing), and when those cars speeded up to get around traffic and move over, the police would then pull them over and cite them for speeding.

@zzholes.

Last edited:

6L6GC

I enjoyed the video but

it never ceases to amaze me how crappy most videos are. Someone making a video is shaking the camera around as if they are making a martini or perhaps like they have already drank a few. People make these videos while shaking the camera around like a flag in a stiff breeze then think it is a good video. Not a big deal, just a pet peeve.

It does annoy me to no end when some slacker gets in the "fast" lane and toot along about 10 to 15 mph under the limit and are apparently blissfully unaware that there are actually other people in the world, some of which are on the road and have somewhere to go.

celticredneck

Personally, I could care less, when I am running 5 MPH above the posted limit in the center lane in an area where people are entering and exiting the highway, often at speeds 10mph or more below the limit and some A******e running 20 over the limit wants me to move over. No matter how fast you drive, someone wants to go faster. I move to the right lane when I get close to my exit or I exit the congested area. My big gripe is the 18 wheelers which pull up so close to your rear bumper that you can't see anything in the mirror but the radiator, then complain on a radio talk show that it takes 5 times as much distance to stop a big rig as it does a 4 wheeler, so I guess we shouldn't be on "their highway". Personally, I think that the cops should give 1 week notice and then strictly enforce the limits. They did that once on I 81, and they caught some motorists 3 times before they left the enforcement zone.

slowfiveoh

It amazes me the people that are on the cops ass about this video.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack

Tip: It is appropriate to kindly signal, and move over, when approached by a faster vehicle from the rear. Particularly when you are in the fast lane!

You [...] talking about reporting this officer clearly don't belong on the road.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
In WA that driver and the cop were breaking the law.

Any time you're not in the right lane (except HOV) and you're not passing traffic you're wrong. Thus the "Keep right except to pass" signs scattered about.

On single lane roads if you have 5 or more cars behind you then you must pull off to let them by. You're never authorized to stay left just because you think you're going fast enough for everyone else. Live and let live, even those faster than you.

Tailgating is also wrong, even when it is kind of funny.

Claytron

It amazes me the people that are on the cops ass about this video.

Are you mentally inept?

Tip: It is appropriate to kindly signal, and move over, when approached by a faster vehicle from the rear. Particularly when you are in the fast lane!

You idiots talking about reporting this officer clearly don't belong on the road.

Does the "fast lane" allow you to break the law and go over the speed limit? Pretty much every car in the video seemed to be going to the same speed, how do you know they werent all going the exact speed limit? If they are then how is it someones duty to change lanes so they can let someone past them to break the law?

Idiots who get bitchy that someone wont move over and allow them to break the law, especially going 70 mph and surrounded by OTHER people going 70mph, shouldnt be on the roads, in a car or carrying a gun.

VW_Factor

I very much dislike people that block up the fast lane. I grew up driving in SoCal. Around here in Oregon there are entirely too many people on the I5 that simply suck at highway driving manners.

Faster car behind you? Get the **** out of the damn lane, and let them by. Around here, there are laws against against it, and people still don't get out the way.

People in Oregon are damned erratic on the highways and the interstate as well. Easily spooked as well, leading to more erratic driving habits.

VW_Factor

Does the "fast lane" allow you to break the law and go over the speed limit?

IIRC most states don't have concrete speed limits on highways and interstates. They are governed by the suggested speed, and basic speed rule.

Which means.. Get out of the way.

stainless1911

Banned
+1

Many states are ticketing drivers that wont move, even if they are over the speed limit, because they cause road rage, congesti9on, and accidents. The tickets are usually for impeding. Now THAT'S how to make use of the police.

bajadudes

I freaking despise the idiots that think it's their right to just cruise along in the left lane and block it. The law is clear on this, keep the hell right unless it's to pass and when you want to pass $hit or get off the pot, make your pass and get it over with.

It's about time LEO's enforce this most basic of motoring laws.

If you don't like that trucker grill in your rear view mirror it's simple...get the F&%k over even if you are in the middle lane. Most of the time trucks are not allowed in the left lane and you are effectively blocking their passing lane.

Remember, KEEP RIGHT and allow faster traffic to pass, that includes the middle lanes.

Sometimes I wish I had a front bumper mounted tactical small nuke missile:lol:

Claytron

IIRC most states don't have concrete speed limits on highways and interstates. They are governed by the suggested speed, and basic speed rule.

Which means.. Get out of the way.

"basic speed rule"....? That must be the magic rule that gets people out of speeding tickets all the time?

As far as established speed limits, i cant speak for every state but in Maine we do have posted speed limits on our highways, they are typically 65mph max and 55mph minimum.

a quick look on wikipedia says that some states like mass (crazy drivers) have Keep Right laws that say a driver in the fast lane who is going at the normal speed of the drivers around them must let someone trying to overtake them, do so. The example they give is if you and everyone else around you is going 60mph in a 55mph zone, you must let someone going 65mph overtake you even though everyone involved is breaking the law. Of course its just wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt.

They also, however, say that states do in fact establish their own speed limits, states around new england are typically 65, while places in the midwest are usually 80mph.