• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to enforce Slower Traffic Move Right

VW_Factor

"basic speed rule"....? That must be the magic rule that gets people out of speeding tickets all the time?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/introduction.htm

Here is some reading about the basic speed rule. Should explain any questions you have regarding its use.

The only real bad thing about it, is that it kind of leaves your "speeding" or not up to the LEO's discretion. (regarding speed of other traffic, weather conditions, lighting, etc, etc)

Essentially, if its pooring rain, even going what is posted could be considered speeding via the Basic Speed Rule. However, headed to Vegas in the middle of the desert with no one else around in the middle of the day, 85 may not be considered speeding. Just be polite with the LEO.

stainless1911

Banned
An analogy. 2 cars on the interstate, side by side, both doing 100 mph, very light traffic, only one of those cars is speeding. Why? Because of the cars themselves, one of them is a Corvette, the other, a Chevette. Now, its winter, there is 4 inches of snow, both cars are doing 45mph, only 1 car is speeding, its the Corvette this time. Another clear day, same cars, different drivers, both at 75 mph. The driver of the Corvette is 67 years old, female, and on the phone, the Chevette is being driven by an alert 30 year old car buff, again, the Corvette is speeding. Last one, 2 Corvettes, driving in identical conditions, 145mph, one on I-75, the other, on the North Ring in Germany. Neither one is speeding. The Corvette is cruising comfortably at 145.

slowfiveoh

Does the "fast lane" allow you to break the law and go over the speed limit? Pretty much every car in the video seemed to be going to the same speed, how do you know they werent all going the exact speed limit? If they are then how is it someones duty to change lanes so they can let someone past them to break the law?

Idiots who get bitchy that someone wont move over and allow them to break the law, especially going 70 mph and surrounded by OTHER people going 70mph, shouldnt be on the roads, in a car or carrying a gun.

The "Fast Lane" is the lane reserved for passing slower vehicles.
Traffic enforcement is not your job, and by blocking traffic that is attempting to overtake you, in the lane meant to do so, regardless of speed, YOU are creating a dangerous situation.

You have no explicit "duty" to change lanes, but being that it is the passing lane, you should yield when, you know, being passed. Regardless of the overtaking vehicles speed.

People who cannot dynamically assess their situation and comply with the safest probable reaction, are a danger to other motorists.

Perhaps you should stop acting like you are the regulator of all things highway related Claytron, and politely move over instead of being COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack on a power trip.

That is frankly how people get shot in the face on motorways.

It simply is not worth it.

Pull over, let them pass, wave as they do so with a smile, and take a moment to jot or memorize their license plate as you prepare to call them in to the authorities.

Drop your power trip.

People like you cause more accidents and road related incidents by thinking you have some "duty" to regulate everyone else speed.

What an idiotic retort.

P.S. How many brain cells do you need to muster to process that the reason most of those motorists were "driving the same speed", was because Johnny Law was right next to them?

Major DURP on your part.

Last edited:

bajadudes

I personally have passed drivers like him on the shoulder, in the center lane, and even on entrance/exit ramps for driving like that. Oh, my bad, he thought he was being safe.

LOL...have you ever then slowed down dramatically and rapidly in front of them? Not saying I ever did it :rolleyes:

I have often wanted one of those scrolling LED marque signs in the back window with some choice preselected messages.

bajadudes

OMG, Costco used to have em and it even had a 12 VDC adapter. I used to stare at that thing almost as long as I do at the Beretta display case at my range.

A giant flip up mirror on the rear deck would be pretty awesome.

Brutus

In Virginia there is no "fast lane." The speed limit is the same for all lanes of travel. (This was trick question on the VADL test...those who think there is a fast lane on VA's highways need to go back and retake their driver's test.)

VW_Factor

Slower%20Traffic%20Keep%20Right%20Windshield%20Decal%20n065.jpg

stainless1911

Banned
In Virginia there is no "fast lane." The speed limit is the same for all lanes of travel. (This was trick question on the VADL test...those who think there is a fast lane on VA's highways need to go back and retake their driver's test.)

If there are 2 or more lanes travelling in the same direction the left lane is always the fast lane. The written law hasn't yet caught up with the will of the people yet, but both traffic and the police are functioning under this long established, and universally known method of operation. They dont write it down IMO because they dont want to give up the driving tax, er, tickets that it makes.

Lady Glock

I have been told by some that condone going slow in the passing lane that they are enforcing the speed limit by keeping people from passing them. Some of the things you hear from people who are insured by your company!!!

stainless1911

Banned
Same people who drive with the lights on, or worse, the hi beams on all the time. Hi beams are a 2 point ticket here in Michigan, I wish they were more active in enforcing that one. If I were a cop, that's all I'd do all day, is pull over people who were impeding/instigating other drivers, and driving with the hi beams on.

bajadudes

It's not a fast lane, it's a passing lane and just about everywhere you see signs saying "keep right except to pass". There is no fine print or qualifier to the effect of "unless you are doing the speed limit".

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

VW_Factor

I have been told by some that condone going slow in the passing lane that they are enforcing the speed limit by keeping people from passing them. Some of the things you hear from people who are insured by your company!!!

I don't know why people take it upon themselves to do this. All it is simply, is dangerous. SoCal drivers learned this long ago. Not keeping up? Then you are likely going to be run off the road. (Well, not really that bad, but you really do notice a difference)

VW_Factor

It's not a fast lane, it's a passing lane and just about everywhere you see signs saying "keep right except to pass". There is no fine print or qualifier to the effect of "unless you are doing the speed limit".

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Passing lane / fast lane = the same thing.

Otherwise known as.. The CHP lane. Its his lane, and if he catches you in it and not getting out of his way, he'll ticket you. >.<

stainless1911

Banned
Truthfully, there are no "passing only" lanes in Michigan. Tell you what, go to the highway in any state, and excluding occasional heavy traffic, observe the speed of the vehicles in the particular lanes. They are always faster as you move to the left. This allows for what is known as traffic flow.