• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And my friends and realitives wonder why I carry

Bill Starks

State Researcher
<edit - to my knowledge I am not related to the assailant>

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Maryland-jury-orders-Nordstrom-to-pay-1-6-1343885.php

The jury returned its verdict Friday, awarding $345,500 to Sarah Paseltiner and $1.25 million to Jacqueline Greismann.

“Hopefully, Nordstrom and other stores will take their internal safety procedures more seriously,” said Kenneth Trombly, Paseltiner’s attorney.
The women’s assailant – Antoinette Starks, 54 – had been released from prison the day before the May 25, 2005, attack.

amzbrady

I dont understand the award settlement. It doesnt give very good details, so I can only assume that one woman was not stabbed as bad as the other, OR one woman had a better attorney.

sudden valley gunner

Good reason to carry, I always tell everyone your safety is in your own hands.

Is it just me or do lawsuits like this bother anyone else? Nordstrom's is just trying to run a business, (are they anti?) I personally don't feel they are responsible for other's safety in their store. Especially when you got Sheriffs like Urquhart urging people (and security) not to get involved.

Aryk45XD

Is it just me or do lawsuits like this bother anyone else? Nordstrom's is just trying to run a business, (are they anti?) I personally don't feel they are responsible for other's safety in their store. Especially when you got Sheriffs like Urquhart urging people (and security) not to get involved.

+100! I hate seeing the "although _____ person saved their life, police advise you never to get involved" or people getting fired and potential charges for actually giving a damn and steping in.

amzbrady

Another reason company policies against workers being able to protect themselves are so wrong. Where I work it is not only company policy that you can not have a weapon on the property, but in the event of a robbery, you are supposed to indicate to the robber where everyone in the store is located. So I figure the policy is there so that since we dont have any security cameras, that we are supposed to let the robber know where any and all possible witnesses to the crime might be, so they can be eliminated before they leave with the money.

Last edited:

joeroket

Why the heck would the court recommend she be released from the psych ward she's at now?

Western Hospital just released 24 people due to budgets cuts to a program. One of them was that guy that killed my dad 27 years ago who was committed as a dangerous mentally ill offender when he was released from prison in 2003. He now lives in Spanaway.

amzbrady

Personally I think all the releases due to budget cuts are a good thing. The average John Q Public has gotten too complaicent and needs a wake up call. America needs something to put us all back into survival mode, and make some of these freakin liberals realize the problem they have created by coddeling criminals. Mental people walking around with out meds, or overly medicated are kind of like Zombies. So will you be ready when the zombies come?

Only the strong survive...

tombrewster421

Western Hospital just released 24 people due to budgets cuts to a program. One of them was that guy that killed my dad 27 years ago who was committed as a dangerous mentally ill offender when he was released from prison in 2003. He now lives in Spanaway.

Oh great! One more reason to carry in the Spanaway Starbucks.

And very sorry to hear that you lost your dad to this scumbag.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
A more general comment

Ever since I moved into Virginia (from the PRO Maryland) I have openly or concealed carried, not only when I am "out and about" but also when I am at home. This seems odd to my wife and, when they visit, my family. We live in an up-scale townhouse community where, despite several non-violent crimes against property, we enjoy a fairly secure environment. None of my neighbors have ever mentioned my "carrying," but I have some of "Ed's cards" with me wherever I go -- I just have not had an opportunity to provide that information because no one has ever commented on my carrying. Those that have exercised their 2A rights before I got here have apparently done good work in desensitizing this NoVA general population.

Still, one never knows what's around the corner. My wife and I like to take walks that take us outside our small neighborhood, and the surrounding areas are not as, well, secure. Carrying simply gives me a better sense of preparedness.

There are many good and sufficient reasons to carry that go beyond just the basic, "Because I have the right to do so." To the extent that we can continue to educate friends, neighbors and family, we should do so.

Last edited:

amlevin

Personally I think all the releases due to budget cuts are a good thing. The average John Q Public has gotten too complaicent and needs a wake up call. America needs something to put us all back into survival mode, and make some of these freakin liberals realize the problem they have created by coddeling criminals. Mental people walking around with out meds, or overly medicated are kind of like Zombies. So will you be ready when the zombies come?

Only the strong survive...

Why not turn them all loose and then just reimburse the citizens of the State for any ammo expended when they "defend themselves" against these career criminals? Couldn't be much worse than the existing policies.

Metalhead47

You said it. Part of it is the risk-averse society we have created. I was reading an article yesterday where in NY, even kid's summer camp games (dogeball, Wiffle ball, etc), now must be regulated and overseen by the gov't because someone *might* get hurt. Everyone's afraid of a lawsuit these days. The police tell people not to get involved 'cuz they're afraid of a lawsuit one one side and being out of a job on the other if people actually learn that they CAN defend themselves. Heck, even NASA's afraid to do anything extraordinary anymore, since rockets have a tendency to blow up.

Aryk45XD

While we're at it....

let's get rid of beat cops and up our investigation units again. I seem to remember seattle recently downsized the investigion units and put them on the street to "police" citizens more. That didn't sit well with me at all.

ApacheBunny

I believe Wal-Marts policy is just like what the cops say, don't get involved and wait your turn to be murdered while the cops come, or you're FIRED. That's not the exact words when I was taking their company training but that's exactly how I read it. They are worried about a lawsuit even though there would be damning evidence on their security cameras.

Last edited:

Claytron

they knew their was someone wielding a knife and didnt warn customers for 8 minutes, sounds like negligence on their part.

sudden valley gunner

they knew their was someone wielding a knife and didnt warn customers for 8 minutes, sounds like negligence on their part.

You have to get the gist of my whole post. And realize some of the history that has gone on around here in the sound.

What if the store made an announcement, and people were trampled? Would that be negligent? Or what if the announcement than made the suspect go on a rampage and kill and harm many more than he did?

Bottom line is you are your own best defense, don't count on the cops, security or other people to help you when you need it.

amzbrady

You have to get the gist of my whole post. And realize some of the history that has gone on around here in the sound.

What if the store made an announcement, and people were trampled? Would that be negligent? Or what if the announcement than made the suspect go on a rampage and kill and harm many more than he did?

Bottom line is you are your own best defense, don't count on the cops, security or other people to help you when you need it.

Growing up I was always taught, no one but myself is responsible for my own actions, and once I become an adult, no one but myself was responsible for my own safety.

amlevin

Growing up I was always taught, no one but myself is responsible for my own actions, and once I become an adult, no one but myself was responsible for my own safety.

Your closing statement just rang more true. King 5 TV just this moment reported of a shooting on a Metro bus in Kent. More info to follow but the point is if you can't protect yourself it's very clear that there's nobody else there to do so.

Here's the link to the story that was just posted

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Man-shot-on-Metro-bus-120325749.html

Here is a "telling" statement "The driver didn't know at first there were gunshots."