Thread: What Should I Do If I Ever Need To Use My Gun In Self-Defense?

What Should I Do If I Ever Need To Use My Gun In Self-Defense?

Article with excellent advice by Attorney Steve Dulan at Ammoland.com

http://www.ammoland.com/2011/04/18/w...-self-defense/
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Banned
    That's good stuff. At the time you want to talk the most, just don't.

Good article.

This is a great article....

So, I am involved in a self defense shooting. I keep my mouth shut til counsel shows up. But, what counsel? Should I talk to a lawyer long in advance? Doesn't that look like I am setting myself up in advance to shoot someone? This is where I get a little "feeling" a prosecutor might try to use this to say I was out hunting for a prospective target.....Any thoughts?
    Last edited by SlowDog; 04-24-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling.
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog View Post

So, I am involved in a self defense shooting. I keep my mouth shut til counsel shows up. But, what counsel? Should I talk to a lawyer long in advance? Doesn't that look like I am setting myself up in advance to shoot someone? This is where I get a little "feeling" a prosecutor might try to use this to say I was out hunting for a prospective target.....Any thoughts?
    Well anything is possible but you have the right to remain silent and if you exercise that right I don't think them using it against you. Being someone who has a CPL and carries a gun talking to a lawyer in advance about something that might happen I doubt they can use it against you. This is not legal advice and anything can happen.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

I have multiple legal advisors, that i am able to contact.
    Most of your legal advisors can care for you til it is time for the big dog to step in the ring and end the drama !
    Every person should have general counsel on retainer, like wills, estates, civil matters, & also criminal matters as well....

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog View Post

I know a few attorneys to call upon if I ever need one.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I know a few attorneys to call upon if I ever need one.

This!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Just remember, If you're arrested or sitting in jail you won't have your cell phone or wallet or anything else.

So either have your lawyers number memorized or make sure your phone call is to someone who has your lawyers contact info.

good article
    my advice -
    1) when police arrive - tell a very brief account ONCE letting them know that your life or serious bodily injury etc. was evident a shooting was necessary. don't keep retelling everytime someone new arrives. statements to EMTs are included.
    2) anything short of an arrest is a detainment. ask if you are detained. if asked to go to the station to make a statement ask if you are legally required to do so. if not DON'T GO. Tell them you will return with legal counsel at your convenience to make a statement. you will be told things like "it's in your best interests to go" or "we really need you to go" "you'll look bad if you don't come in and make a statement" "we need a fresh statement" or even "you have to go with us". no arrest and not detained then it's all voluntary. you can get up and leave any time. why go if you don't have to? i would say "i'm not saying anything here or there so why don't i just stay here?"
    3) get receipts for all items taken. if weapon is taken ask exactly when you will get it back.
    4) don't talk to the media if contacted.
    5) don't give any details to family or friends that ask.
    6) if you have a digital camera with you take a LOT of pics of the scene and do NOT give them to police. attorney will probably tell you to secure the memory card to insure that pics aren't tampered. this can work to your advantage if evidence appears altered or moved. a knife moved a couple feet could be the difference of guilty or not guilty. also photograph yourself. if you have injury marks from an assault you will want them documented as they will fade.
    7) once a criminal case is cleared don't rule out civil suits. castle doctrine legally prevents this but play it safe. cleared isn't an open door to talking about the incident.
    just my advice.

Banned
    Good advice IMO.

I'll say it again- we need a list of 2A lawyers by area / city / county / whatever.

That's a sticky I would support.

I have no idea who I would contact in the Grand Rapids area that has experience in self defense type cases and in depth knowledge of firearms laws.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    I'll say it again- we need a list of 2A lawyers by area / city / county / whatever.

I have no idea who I would contact in the Grand Rapids area that has experience in self defense type cases and in depth knowledge of firearms laws.
    Nor do I. I've talked to a few who claimed expertise... but I knew more than they. If you find someone, let me know and I will do the same.

Luckily, the prosecutor tends not to question self-defense cases, at least from what I've seen.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 04-29-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post

I'd really like to have this, I could leave a copy with my wife just in case..

Banned
    Me too, that's a valuable sticky.