• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Should I Do If I Ever Need To Use My Gun In Self-Defense?

SlowDog

This is a great article....

So, I am involved in a self defense shooting. I keep my mouth shut til counsel shows up. But, what counsel? Should I talk to a lawyer long in advance? Doesn't that look like I am setting myself up in advance to shoot someone? This is where I get a little "feeling" a prosecutor might try to use this to say I was out hunting for a prospective target.....Any thoughts?

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

So, I am involved in a self defense shooting. I keep my mouth shut til counsel shows up. But, what counsel? Should I talk to a lawyer long in advance? Doesn't that look like I am setting myself up in advance to shoot someone? This is where I get a little "feeling" a prosecutor might try to use this to say I was out hunting for a prospective target.....Any thoughts?

Well anything is possible but you have the right to remain silent and if you exercise that right I don't think them using it against you. Being someone who has a CPL and carries a gun talking to a lawyer in advance about something that might happen I doubt they can use it against you. This is not legal advice and anything can happen.

mastiff69

I have multiple legal advisors, that i am able to contact.
Most of your legal advisors can care for you til it is time for the big dog to step in the ring and end the drama !
Every person should have general counsel on retainer, like wills, estates, civil matters, & also criminal matters as well....

TheQ

I know a few attorneys to call upon if I ever need one.

G22

Just remember, If you're arrested or sitting in jail you won't have your cell phone or wallet or anything else.

So either have your lawyers number memorized or make sure your phone call is to someone who has your lawyers contact info.

kryptonian

good article
my advice -
1) when police arrive - tell a very brief account ONCE letting them know that your life or serious bodily injury etc. was evident a shooting was necessary. don't keep retelling everytime someone new arrives. statements to EMTs are included.
2) anything short of an arrest is a detainment. ask if you are detained. if asked to go to the station to make a statement ask if you are legally required to do so. if not DON'T GO. Tell them you will return with legal counsel at your convenience to make a statement. you will be told things like "it's in your best interests to go" or "we really need you to go" "you'll look bad if you don't come in and make a statement" "we need a fresh statement" or even "you have to go with us". no arrest and not detained then it's all voluntary. you can get up and leave any time. why go if you don't have to? i would say "i'm not saying anything here or there so why don't i just stay here?"
3) get receipts for all items taken. if weapon is taken ask exactly when you will get it back.
4) don't talk to the media if contacted.
5) don't give any details to family or friends that ask.
6) if you have a digital camera with you take a LOT of pics of the scene and do NOT give them to police. attorney will probably tell you to secure the memory card to insure that pics aren't tampered. this can work to your advantage if evidence appears altered or moved. a knife moved a couple feet could be the difference of guilty or not guilty. also photograph yourself. if you have injury marks from an assault you will want them documented as they will fade.
7) once a criminal case is cleared don't rule out civil suits. castle doctrine legally prevents this but play it safe. cleared isn't an open door to talking about the incident.
just my advice.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I'll say it again- we need a list of 2A lawyers by area / city / county / whatever.

That's a sticky I would support.

I have no idea who I would contact in the Grand Rapids area that has experience in self defense type cases and in depth knowledge of firearms laws.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I'll say it again- we need a list of 2A lawyers by area / city / county / whatever.

I have no idea who I would contact in the Grand Rapids area that has experience in self defense type cases and in depth knowledge of firearms laws.

Nor do I. I've talked to a few who claimed expertise... but I knew more than they. If you find someone, let me know and I will do the same.

Luckily, the prosecutor tends not to question self-defense cases, at least from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Vmaxx

I'd really like to have this, I could leave a copy with my wife just in case..