Thread: Sheriff Detectives at my kids school today

Bellflower/Norwalk/Lakewood, California, USA

Sheriff Detectives at my kids school today

Sheriff detectives visited my 9 Yr old daughters 3rd grade class today.
    She asked each one "Are you a fan of Open Carry?" One said, "Oh, the... 4th amendment?"
    She replied, "No, it's the 2nd."

According to her they all answered "It depends.", Or "That's a tough question."

I can't think of a time when I have been prouder of my kid than this, I bought her that trampoline she was wanting today.

Founder's Club Member
    This calls for a dancing banana!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Awesome! Proud Pappa right there.

She has now made the DHS's watch list at the ripe age of 9.

Seriously she did a good thing, I bet she influenced/influences other children her age in her class. That goes a lot further than many people think.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Good for her.

May I recommend that you help her write a letter to the paper. or at least to the city chief of police. She will get a good edu from this.

You sir have every right to be pround... Good for her... Good for you....

I would think a little ice cream to go with that trampoline would be in order...

It is stories like this that cause me to have hope for our future...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

I know of a daughter in HS, that will remain anonymous. That had to write a paper on any topic. What was her topic of choice? Constitutional Carry and it's benefits.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Freaking epic and AWESOME! If only it were recorded!

Just curious why they came in and asked that in the first place...

Right on!!! Way to teach them young!
    The closest i get to that is my 3 year old takes her toy gun and stuffs into her waistband and says "i'm like you daddy".
    Or if she sees me packing she says "I like your new gun daddy".

Not even as close to as awesome as your youngin'.
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

Train up a child when he is young, and when he is old he won't depart from it. Very old words but usually holds true. Teach and instruct kids, show and explain right and wrong, set an example, and teach them what consequences and honor are. If you teach them about firearms, teach the proper precautions and take the mystery out of it. Most kids don't find them so fascinating anymore. Then they grow up with a proper respect and knowledge in the presence of firearms. They also learn to view them as the inanimate tool that they are.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

You should be proud of your daughter.

If she feels she did not get a straight answer or is still curious, you might encourage her to write your local newspaper, particularly about the cop that pulled the wrong amendment. i.e. "Shouldn't the police know the law? signed 9-year old.

Editors are suckers for kids letters and a topic like this may get it published.

The gentlemen from the Sheriffs office were just there doing a public service presentation to her class. Just like a local fire department might visit an elementary school with an engine. There was nothing foul afoot.

Im not sure if she realized they dodged her question and didn't really give an answer.

I'm in San Diego this week on business so I haven't had a chance to question her personally about it but the family will be coming down to join me for the weekend so I am looking forward to hearing her tell the story again.

I like the idea of her writing about it and will encourage her to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer
    Most kids don't find them so fascinating anymore.
    So explain this bunch here, esp. the ones with several gun safes full of 'toys'.
    (You know who you are.)

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k
    ...you might encourage her to write your local newspaper, particularly about the cop that pulled the wrong amendment. i.e. "Shouldn't the police know the law?" signed 9-year old.
    Oh, that I want to read! Do it... and when it's published, post a link here.
    And how 'bout those cops who thought that civil rights are complicated, or weren't sure whether they were in support?
    Might cc that letter to the Sheriff.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 04-21-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    Train up a child when he is young, and when he is old he won't depart from it. Very old words but usually holds true. Teach and instruct kids, show and explain right and wrong, set an example, and teach them what consequences and honor are. If you teach them about firearms, teach the proper precautions and take the mystery out of it. Most kids don't find them so fascinating anymore. Then they grow up with a proper respect and knowledge in the presence of firearms. They also learn to view them as the inanimate tool that they are.
    +1 on this.
    My dad taught me from a very young age firearm safety and took me shooting.
    I knew where his guns were and never thought about touching them without his permission for a few reasons.
    1. They weren't mysterious things from a TV show that i wasn't allowed to even look at.
    2. He would have spanked the hell out of me for doing it. (and rightly so)
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by ccrews View Post
    Sheriff detectives visited my 9 Yr old daughters 3rd grade class today.
    She asked each one "Are you a fan of Open Carry?" One said, "Oh, the... 4th amendment?"
    She replied, "No, it's the 2nd."

According to her they all answered "It depends.", Or "That's a tough question."

I can't think of a time when I have been prouder of my kid than this, I bought her that trampoline she was wanting today.
    When you find out cops are at your kids school from a gun forum... You may be a redneck! lol!

I just put two and two together and realized who you were. You missed a good meet up in Pasadena.

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto
    "If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    Nice. She's an assertive one, ain't she. I would have loved to see the look on their faces and her teacher's face.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Here's a valuable public service presentation; http://www.mtdemocrat.com/online-fea...andgun-course/
    The world is a dangerous place. Not because of the people who are evil; but because of the people who don't do anything about it. -Albert Einstein
    Liberty that was diminished in increments has never been restored by the same. -Lawful Aim
    One who compromises in steps toward freedom will always be compromising. -Lawful Aim
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Lawful Aim View Post
    Here's a valuable public service presentation; http://www.mtdemocrat.com/online-fea...andgun-course/
    I took a course similar to this when I was in the 7th grade.
    But that was in 1955. Before all this anit-gun crap started.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

+10 Should be part of every school curriculum!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawful Aim View Post
    This should be part of every school curriculum especially High school
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Ryan I wanted to be there but ended up scheduled for some work related training in San Diego.

Gotta get together with the families soon.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
    This should be part of every school curriculum especially High school
    Recommend way before HS - the earlier the better - then wash, rinse and repeat.

The responsibility begins at home - nothing this important should be left to the state, especially one with an anti-freedom agenda.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar
    I agree, starting them out young is better. I think around the age of 10 is a good starting point, but every kid and situation is different. I've started my daughter on my Appleseed "liberty" rifle (.22 with battle sights and sling) and she rocked it. She was having such a good time I had to drag her from the range! She is ten, I wanted to start her sooner but she refuses to grow!
    Last edited by coolusername2007; 04-28-2011 at 01:22 AM.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin