• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff Detectives at my kids school today

ccrews

Bellflower/Norwalk/Lakewood, California, USA
Sheriff detectives visited my 9 Yr old daughters 3rd grade class today.
She asked each one "Are you a fan of Open Carry?" One said, "Oh, the... 4th amendment?" :banghead::confused:
She replied, "No, it's the 2nd." :banana:

According to her they all answered "It depends.", Or "That's a tough question."

I can't think of a time when I have been prouder of my kid than this, I bought her that trampoline she was wanting today.

sudden valley gunner

Awesome! Proud Pappa right there.

She has now made the DHS's watch list at the ripe age of 9. :eek::lol:

Seriously she did a good thing, I bet she influenced/influences other children her age in her class. That goes a lot further than many people think.

Outdoorsman1

You sir have every right to be pround... Good for her... Good for you....

I would think a little ice cream to go with that trampoline would be in order...

It is stories like this that cause me to have hope for our future...

Outdoorsman1

Motofixxer

I know of a daughter in HS, that will remain anonymous. That had to write a paper on any topic. What was her topic of choice? Constitutional Carry and it's benefits.

Born2Lose

Right on!!! Way to teach them young!
The closest i get to that is my 3 year old takes her toy gun and stuffs into her waistband and says "i'm like you daddy".
Or if she sees me packing she says "I like your new gun daddy".

Not even as close to as awesome as your youngin'.

Motofixxer

Train up a child when he is young, and when he is old he won't depart from it. Very old words but usually holds true. Teach and instruct kids, show and explain right and wrong, set an example, and teach them what consequences and honor are. If you teach them about firearms, teach the proper precautions and take the mystery out of it. Most kids don't find them so fascinating anymore. Then they grow up with a proper respect and knowledge in the presence of firearms. They also learn to view them as the inanimate tool that they are.

riverrat10k

You should be proud of your daughter.

If she feels she did not get a straight answer or is still curious, you might encourage her to write your local newspaper, particularly about the cop that pulled the wrong amendment. i.e. "Shouldn't the police know the law? signed 9-year old.

Editors are suckers for kids letters and a topic like this may get it published.

ccrews

Bellflower/Norwalk/Lakewood, California, USA
The gentlemen from the Sheriffs office were just there doing a public service presentation to her class. Just like a local fire department might visit an elementary school with an engine. There was nothing foul afoot.

Im not sure if she realized they dodged her question and didn't really give an answer.

I'm in San Diego this week on business so I haven't had a chance to question her personally about it but the family will be coming down to join me for the weekend so I am looking forward to hearing her tell the story again.

I like the idea of her writing about it and will encourage her to do so.

MKEgal

Motofixxer said:
Most kids don't find them so fascinating anymore.
So explain this bunch here, esp. the ones with several gun safes full of 'toys'. :rolleyes:
(You know who you are.)

riverrat10k said:
...you might encourage her to write your local newspaper, particularly about the cop that pulled the wrong amendment. i.e. "Shouldn't the police know the law?" signed 9-year old.
Oh, that I want to read! Do it... and when it's published, post a link here.
And how 'bout those cops who thought that civil rights are complicated, or weren't sure whether they were in support?
Might cc that letter to the Sheriff.

Last edited:

Born2Lose

Train up a child when he is young, and when he is old he won't depart from it. Very old words but usually holds true. Teach and instruct kids, show and explain right and wrong, set an example, and teach them what consequences and honor are. If you teach them about firearms, teach the proper precautions and take the mystery out of it. Most kids don't find them so fascinating anymore. Then they grow up with a proper respect and knowledge in the presence of firearms. They also learn to view them as the inanimate tool that they are.

+1 on this.
My dad taught me from a very young age firearm safety and took me shooting.
I knew where his guns were and never thought about touching them without his permission for a few reasons.
1. They weren't mysterious things from a TV show that i wasn't allowed to even look at.
2. He would have spanked the hell out of me for doing it. (and rightly so) :)

ryanburbridge

Sheriff detectives visited my 9 Yr old daughters 3rd grade class today.
She asked each one "Are you a fan of Open Carry?" One said, "Oh, the... 4th amendment?" :banghead::confused:
She replied, "No, it's the 2nd." :banana:

According to her they all answered "It depends.", Or "That's a tough question."

I can't think of a time when I have been prouder of my kid than this, I bought her that trampoline she was wanting today.

When you find out cops are at your kids school from a gun forum... You may be a redneck! lol!

I just put two and two together and realized who you were. You missed a good meet up in Pasadena.

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto