• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bought a gun from my brother

Holllow187

Hi there, i'm new to the forums and had some questions for my fellow new mexicans.

My brother recently bought a handgun which he did not like. If i buy it from him would i be the legal owner? keep in mind i am only 20.

Thank you.

KBCraig

Perfectly legal.

You only have to be 19 to posses a handgun in NM. There is no registration or permit to purchase; private face-to-face purchases are perfectly legal.

Get some training, buy a lot of ammo, and have fun!

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard Hollow.

While I'm not from NM, but I would like to make some suggestions since I'm guessing your new to carrying. What I do want to encourage you to do is educate yourself. Read and study, then when you think you got it all study some more.
As part of that research please see the link in my sig that has a large compilation of legal resources and videos. Some of it is state specific but much of it is general and valuable to know in any situation. Knowledge is power and if you don't have it, then you will put yourself at a great loss in any situation. In essence, you are responsible for your own affairs. Educate yourself so you know how to conduct your actions and words in any situation.
Here are some words of wisdom

"Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly" Epictetus (Greek Philosopher)

"Knowledge is more than equivalent to force" Samuel Johnson (British Author 1700's)

"Knowledge and human power are synonymous" Francis Bacon (British Philosopher 1500's)

JamesB

I'm still wondering what that has to do with it?

If my brother wanted me to buy a gun from him that he didn't like, I would wonder how many bodies were on it.

Not that he is the type of person who has bodies on a gun, but just like me, he never met a gun he didn't like.

Claytron

Welcome aboard Hollow.

While I'm not from NM, but I would like to make some suggestions since I'm guessing your new to carrying. What I do want to encourage you to do is educate yourself. Read and study, then when you think you got it all study some more.
As part of that research please see the link in my sig that has a large compilation of legal resources and videos. Some of it is state specific but much of it is general and valuable to know in any situation. Knowledge is power and if you don't have it, then you will put yourself at a great loss in any situation. In essence, you are responsible for your own affairs. Educate yourself so you know how to conduct your actions and words in any situation.
Here are some words of wisdom

"Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly" Epictetus (Greek Philosopher)

"Knowledge is more than equivalent to force" Samuel Johnson (British Author 1700's)

"Knowledge and human power are synonymous" Francis Bacon (British Philosopher 1500's)

"The chinaman is NOT the issue here DUDE!" Walter Sobchak (had friends die face down in the muck)

Holllow187

I do appreciate the suggestions but i've lingered around this site for quite sometime. I've educated myself on my local laws through this very helpful site and have been open carrying for about 6 months now with my 9mm handed down from my father :):banana:

I've also bee shooting for about a year and train monthly..or when a chance pops up. Doing my best to be a responsible OC citizen.

Last edited:

MarkD51

I watched a program on a local cable channel last week, called something like "Navajo Cop", and some of the program was shot in northwestern NM, and in AZ.

In one segment, it showed a Shiprock NM Police Officer pulling over a driver on the highway, didn't catch the entire segment to see what the infraction(s) were as to the reason of being pulled over, but the officer conducted a search on the person's vehicle, found a loaded 9mm Makarov Pistol in the Glove Box, walked to the front of the vehicle, unloaded it, then asked the driver if he had proof of purchase for it?

When the driver said that he bought it from his brother many years before, the Cop told the driver that he was confiscating the weapon, and if he wanted it back, to bring proof of purchase to the police station in Shiprock.

Now, I've never heard of this, that proof of purchase supposed to accompany any-all weapons in your vehicle in NM? Is this true?

That without any paperwork, your weapon can then be legally confiscated by authorities?
Mark

AH.74

I saw the tail-end of this show, wish I had caught the rest.

I am going to take a WAG (wild-assed guess) that this was fabricated for TV and to show the cop being able to do cop things such as confiscate a weapon from someone. It has no other basis from which to make any sense unless there is more to the story they did not divulge.

The only reference to reservations and pueblo lands that I know of in the NM state laws, other than those pertaining to off-limit areas, say that CCW permits are not legal and you must obtain permission from the particular governing body. Otherwise preemption law still applies.

Last edited:

KBCraig

In one segment, it showed a Shiprock NM Police Officer pulling over a driver on the highway, didn't catch the entire segment to see what the infraction(s) were as to the reason of being pulled over, but the officer conducted a search on the person's vehicle, found a loaded 9mm Makarov Pistol in the Glove Box, walked to the front of the vehicle, unloaded it, then asked the driver if he had proof of purchase for it?

I heard about that, except I heard it was tribal police, on a highway passing through tribal land.

It reminds me of that idiot Steven Seagal on "Lawman", where he confiscated a gun from a 20 year old after telling him it was a felony for anyone under 21 to possess a handgun.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I would wonder how many bodies were on it.

If it is not currently underneath any dead people, 0.

Do people still think that it's possible to know if someone was shot with any specific gun by looking at it? Really? Which Hollywood brainwashing factory is that idea still alive in?

Science > Superstition.

KBCraig

If it is not currently underneath any dead people, 0.

Do people still think that it's possible to know if someone was shot with any specific gun by looking at it? Really? Which Hollywood brainwashing factory is that idea still alive in?

Science > Superstition.

Why, do you mean to tell me that Law & Order and NCIS are inaccurate when they suggest that a shell casing recovered from the scene can, within minutes, be used to tell them who the "registered owner" is (even in states without gun registration)? I'm shocked!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm shocked!

Facts will do that to soft-headed voter/consumer types... When did our society become so dumb that advertising and propaganda are believed over observable science and common-sense? 'Believing' in facts makes one a weirdo. I just don't fit in here...

JamesB

Why, do you mean to tell me that Law & Order and NCIS are inaccurate when they suggest that a shell casing recovered from the scene can, within minutes, be used to tell them who the "registered owner" is (even in states without gun registration)? I'm shocked!

But, if they say it on TV is HAS to be true. There's like a law or something.

You can beleive anything a politician says as well. There's a law for that. Or at least an app.

Right?