• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which sort of firearm is NOT drop safe?

VW_Factor

My wife and I are sitting here in our office discussing this. Not that we are all knowledgeable or anything, but really..

Neither one of us can think of any sort of handgun that even has a chance of being discharged if dropped. I know there are some older models and perhaps revolvers if the hammer if left to rest on a cartridge, but I am not aware of of exactly what they are.

Then, begs to question. Are manufacturers in the US (or imported firearms) even allowed to make or import a firearm that is not drop safe?

Seems like today you get a story maybe once a week about someone dropping a weapon and it discharges.. (You mean, you pulled the trigger)

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
I shot a MAC 11 last month that jammed up, and upon clearing the jam, the bolt slammed shut and put a round in the dirt. I imagine any similar open bolt design would have the same flaw.

Michigander

Any semi automatic firearm which doesn't have a slide firing pin block, or trigger deactivated block for the striker is going to have an above average chance of discharging if the hammer is down and the chamber is loaded. Same goes for a revolver without a firing pin block. With these types of guns, you rely on the hammer, sear and trigger mechanism to not have a mechanical issue and fall down on the pin or striker.

This includes many milsurp import guns, and not so many current production guns. Common guns which aren't drop safe would include old fashion revolvers such as a traditional SAA, most old fashion commie pistols like Tokarev's, such as the CZ52 which fell to the ground and shot me through the leg, pretty much ending my days as a runner. It's an issue I suggest the utmost caution about. Carefully inspect the mechanism to ensure its drop safety before carrying any gun.

One good test is to put the hammer down on a loaded round at the range, point down range, and then beat the hammer with a board.

Last edited:

bajadudes

I really like that my 90-two has a safety that is a decoupler. Of course it only works when it's on.

I am comfortable OC'ing with a round in the chamber and the safety on.

Barnett3006

No such thing as a drop safe (loaded) gun, while modern safety devices and proper maintenance certainly reduce the risk of a discharge do to being dropped, those safeties are nothing more then $2 parts subject to mechanical failure. Much like all of the $2 parts in your car that leave you on the side of the road when they experience a failure of some kind.

Only way to make a gun drop safe is to keep it unloaded at all times or to not drop it (yes I know "stuff" happens and your gun ends up on the floor...its happened to me).

JHMO

Thundar

Cz - 52

the CZ-52 is not safe at all. I bought one and it sure was fun to shoot that fire belching behemouth on the range. It was a lot less fun when I was training my family members and I realized that we were taking unnecessary risks using the beast. I recently sold it.

willbird

Factor in whether the gun is to be used as intended, or not ? The 1911 for example, talking about carrying it with a loaded chamber and the hammer DOWN is not the proper way to use it. On the Single Actions, they should be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer, there is no way they can fire if dropped if they are used properly.

The Llama 45's are known to go off if dropped. Some of the cheaper pocket rockets were not safe to be carried with a chambered round, so if carried properly with an empty chamber (makes the gun more or less useless for defensive purposes) they are drop safe.

Bill

Last edited:

oldsaltydog

drop safe

I know this is an old thread, but I want to clear up some misinformation for the sake of safety in case someone stumbles across this post. Generally, when folks talk about "drop safe" guns, they are referring to guns who's firing pin cannot strike the primer if the gun is subject to a hard impact, like dropping on a concrete floor.

Think of it like carrying a 2x4 in the back of your truck. When you slam on the brakes, if the lumber is not strapped down, it's going to slide forward with tremendous force and smack into the back of the bed, or, worse yet, through the glass of your back window. This is the same principle with the firing pin in your gun; normally it is the hammer falling that makes it strike the primer, but dropping the gun can also create enough inertia to move the pin on its own.

For example, the above poster mentions the 1911. Obviously, you shouldn't carry it with the hammer down on a loaded chamber because something could strike the hammer, (also because you can't engage the safety on a 1911 if the hammer is not cocked), but the hammer position has nothing to do with the potential for the firing pin to strike the primer due to inertia.

Some 1911's (series 70 Colts for example, and many high-end custom builders) have no firing pin block. If the gun is dropped on a very hard surface, the inertia could propel the firing pin forward with enough force to strike the primer on a live round. I has nothing to do with the safety or the position of the hammer; it could happen with the hammer cocked or not. It has been tested and proven that this can happen, but it should be pointed out it would be an extremely rare event. The gun would have to hit just perfectly on the end of the barrel on a hard surface, so even if it fired, it would be firing into the concrete (or hardwood floor, etc.). Many people carry the series 70 1911 without problems, but you should be aware of the mechanics of your firearm. Other 1911's (Colt series 80, most newer Kimbers etc.) do have a firing pin block.

Most modern semi-autos do have a firing pin block, but all gun models are different. Revolvers are a whole 'nother topic. Do your research (wikipedia has excellent gun entries) and decide for yourself what is safe, and what you are comfortable with.

WalkingWolf

The 1911 whether condition 2 or condition 1 WILL discharge if dropped on the MUZZLE from enough height. Unless it has a FP block. The claim that a condition 2 1911 will discharge in condition 2 dropped on the hammer is malarkey. Evidently many people do not know the nomenclature of a 1911 and how a inertia FP works. Nor do they understand physics, they just repeat some myth/poop they heard from somebody else with nothing to back it up.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Actually,,, I have 6 drop safe pistols!

my desert eagle 50 ae has a firing pin block safety, so hammer cocked or not it cant hit the primer!
my parker long slide 45 has a safety that blocks the hammer from hitting and blocks the pin from moving!
my p64 9mm mak has a decocker safety, it blocks the hammer from hitting and locks the pin from moving!
my tanfoglio gt380 has a safety that blocks the trigger, but I never use that...
I use the other safety that only locks the firing pin from moving!
I have a Lorcin 380!
and a Raven 25,,, they are both striker fired,,, the safety on them securely blocks the sear from moving!

bunnspecial

Most bolt action rifles and pump action shot guns are not drop safe.

In addition, "traditional" SA revolvers(i.e. Colt SAA s and their clones) can fire if the hammer is over a live round and the gun is dropped. Modern single action Rugers are safe fully loaded.