• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

utah

kylemoul

well utah passed their motion.
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/BCINewsletterApril2011.pdf

i guess not after my 5yr is up and is time for renewal, i will not be able to renew because i do not have a MO permit...
i am not eligible for a MO permit, and i am unsure if i would be for a FL permit. kinda sucks utah did this...makes no sense why they would. more money for the state i would think. not sure if any other out of state permits would be possible.

kick in the nads!

had to vent...

cshoff

i did not know...thanks for the info.

do you know any AZ instructors? (or anyone)

Your Utah CCW permit should satisfy the training requirement for an AZ permit:

<snipped from ARS 13-3112....> E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

1. Is a resident of this state or a United States citizen.

2. Is twenty-one years of age or older.

3. Is not under indictment for and has not been convicted in any jurisdiction of a felony unless that conviction has been expunged, set aside or vacated or the applicant's rights have been restored and the applicant is currently not a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

4. Does not suffer from mental illness and has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.

5. Is not unlawfully present in the United States.

6. Has ever satisfactorily completed a firearms safety training program authorized by the department of public safety pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section or has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(a) A certificate, card or document of completion from a firearms safety training program authorized pursuant to subsection N, paragraph 1 of this section, dated not more than five years earlier than the date of application, that has affixed to it the stamp, signature or seal of the instructor or organization that conducted the program, or a current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.

(b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or 9 of this section or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club or organization that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the applicant's completion of the course or class.

(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 7 of this section.
N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:
2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

<......end snip.....>

The entire statute can be found here: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03112.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

The application procedure can be found here: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

Last edited:

peterarthur

cshoff

So proof of military service is sufficient for training???

Yep. Or any state approved hunter education course, or any NRA sanctioned firearms safety course, or a valid current or expired CCW permit from any other state that required testing to obtain said permit, or any former police training...............AZ will accept almost any formal firearms training course to satisfy their training requirement. When they passed Constitutional Carry, they did a good job of amending their laws.

kylemoul

i asked for my packet yesterday.
i still have 4+ years on my utah, but might as well for backup.

on a side note 4 years is a while, and utah or MO can change laws.

glad AZ has some awesome requirements!