• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sexist Article

M

McX

saw the title of the thread, and bopped in, didnt read the post, but thought of; Was this by chance published in Soldier of Fortune?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Some spewings from the article.........

-- Spending several hundred dollars on a serviceable handgun might leave them without enough money to get the full treatment at that next visit to the day spa.

-- Carrying a gun in a small purse would leave less room for more important items, such as lipstick or compact.

-- The baggy clothing required to successfully conceal most holsters would make them appear frumpy.

-- Gunpowder residue might stain the new Karen Scott blouse they just bought at Macy's.

-- The gunpowder smell when the weapon is fired could totally overwhelm the Chanel they're wearing.

-- Most firearm accessories come only in one boring color: black.

-- Target practice earplugs simply aren't sexy

Read more: NRA effort to attract women off target - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/columns/heyl/s_733042.html#ixzz1K6o0sbeS

metalman383

My wife is composing an E-Mail to him as we speak. She is PO'd. She mentioned to me that she carries, because of creepy looking guys like him!

Outdoorsman1

This is indeed the most sexist article regarding women and carrying that I have ever read. Thank goodness anyone with an ounce of common sence would recognize it as such and not take it serioulsy. If I were a women I would be in contact with the authors supervisors demanding an apology (at the very least). If you take female out of the equation and subsitute with another group of people (color, sexual preference, possible mental illness, religious preference, etc.,) I wonder how long the author would be employed....

I for one would like to see more ladies OC'ing in as much as I think it would speak volumes to the fact that OC'ing is for every law abiding citizen (not just men) and that not all ladies carrying a sidearm are BG's (Bad Girls). It would also be a huge help the movement as to disprove some common misconceptions regarding OC'ers.

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

MKEgal

Holy cow! (And no, I'm not Hindu)

If this was meant as an April Fool's joke, it's a bit late... and not really funny.

a ladies-only seminar teaching them how to become pistol instructors.
To most women, such a seminar probably wouldn't have the same appeal as, say, a holistic facial at the day spa.
Pampering is nice, but doesn't do as much for me, for as long, as education.

the pesky preconceived notions that likely turn off many females to the idea of gun ownership
(For which, see Nutzak's post.)

The author, Eric Heyl, gives his contact information as:
412-320-7857
eheyl@tribweb.com

His boss, the editor Frank Craig: fcraig@tribweb.com
The president & CEO, Ralph Martin: rmartin@tribweb.com

Letters to the editor: opinion@tribweb.com

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
D.L. Clark Bldg.
503 Martindale St., 3rd floor
Pittsburgh, PA; 15212
Main # is 412-321-6460

(Just PM'd the link & quotes & contact info to Kathy of Cornered Cat. Surely she'll have an army who can explain the error of his ways.)

ETA: email sent to Mr's Craig & Martin. Wonder how many more they'll get?
Just tried to call Mr. Craig, got the "managing editor" Jim Cuddy (412 320 7830), who says "this is an opinion column, that's his opinion". To which I pointed out that it also has the newpaper's name on it, so they're going to catch the backlash. He says he's already heard from "a couple" other people. Didn't seem too concerned... yet.

Last edited: