• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terry "Burn the Koran" Jones will be 'packing' during his Dearborn protest Friday

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Well I completely agree with his burning of the Quran. It's an ignorant hate-filled book written by a sick pedophile.

My response and others is why John and Mike want to avoid going too far off topic.

Lord Sega

Here's my thoughts...

As to the Koran burning, I agree that he has the right, but I disagree that he should have done it if only because it will turn fence sitters into supporting / joining radical Muslim extremists, making it that much harder for our troops. (note, I'm against any type of extremists).

But here's a question for those who protested his burning of the Koran by rioting in the streets and burning homes and stores... did not those homes & stores most likely contain at lease one or more Korans. So.... it's only offensive to burn the Koran when done by infidels, or do you take responsibility for the same offense?

My other question... if I download a .doc file of the Koran and then later delete it am I guilty of the same offense? Will I get a fatwā like Salman Rushdie or the Danish cartoonist?

It's not the book, it's what's in the book... the words, meanings, and lessons that give people something to believe in and aspire to, whether the Bible or the Koran or some other faith.

You have the right to your own faith or religion, as long as it doesn't interfere with other people's beliefs and rights.

I'm Agnostic... I'll figure out the afterlife when I get there. Until then I try to live with personal honor, for my greatness is reflected in my little girl's eyes looking up to me.

eye95

Why? While I may not agree with him philosophically, I defend his Constitutional rights to do exactly what he proposes. If we are so vocal in our defense of the 2nd--and 4th Amendments, how the hell can we ignore the 1st?

Nowhere did I dispute his right to do what he does. Please don't imply that I did.

eye95

So what you are saying is, as long as you are with the majority of people that have the opinion that he is moraly wrong, then to hell with the minority and his right?...

I hate posts that start with, "So what you are saying is..."

NO. What I am saying is what I said and bears no resemblence to the tripe you tried to attribute to me.

Moving on until you stop putting words in my mouth.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
He absolutely has the right to do it and pack heat while he is at it. Do I agree with his actions? No. Does he have the right? Yes.

Funeral protestors? Yup. They got the right. I hope they keep doing it so eventually a group of fed up people will open a can of whoop *** on them.

But isn't that the argument that some anti-gun folks use? It's you're right to OC, but it doesn't mean you should. "You're scarring the children and people are concerned."
Just because you have the right doesn't mean you should abuse the right. Open Carrying is not ABUSING the right. It is exercising the same right with out a cloth covering it.

bajadudes

I liked it better when women were burning their bras. I'd like to see OC women burning their bras. Lets bare more than just our arms.:banana:

Brion

So, we all agree? This crazy mofo should be ALLOWED to do this, while packing. Correct?

Even though we do not support is cause, we agree that the city/state/federal gov. shouldn't block him?

eye95

The State should not stop him. We, however, have Liberty also. We have the right (and, IMO, the duty) to decry his horrific, destructive, and hateful behavior.

And I do. I rebuke him, his beliefs, and his tactics, absolutely. Were I in a position to provide a voice against him on the scene, I would. Instead, I will have to voice my loathing of all that he stands for here.

Daylen

He has the right, and so we can not argue against it. Otherwise we can't argue our right granted by 2A. I say let him do it and to be honest i want it to, just so i can see how fare the LEOs there go and see how they stomp on said right.

Don't put words in my mouth; don't twist the meaning of my text. I did not state anything about him not having the right to be armed while spewing hate and bigotry. I do not and have not revoked MY rights protected by the 1st amendment; I can argue against the wisdom of his actions and decry him of evil. I can argue that his actions have the potential to provide the liberal media with something to like his bigoted hate with those who are advocates of the 2nd amendment protections; and thus argue that his actions will be malevolent to us. Just because you can blow yourself up doesn't mean you should or that others must support you doing so or not worry about where shrapnel will go.

Last edited:

Brion

The State should not stop him. We, however, have Liberty also. We have the right (and, IMO, the duty) to decry his horrific, destructive, and hateful behavior.

And I do. I rebuke him, his beliefs, and his tactics, absolutely. Were I in a position to provide a voice against him on the scene, I would. Instead, I will have to voice my loathing of all that he stands for here.

That's the winner right there. He has a right to do it, we have the right to say "You are a moron."

Just like with WBC, we have the right to counter protest. I will never tell WBC they can't do what they do. But that's why we have the patriot guard. I LOVE what they do.

eye95

That's the winner right there. He has a right to do it, we have the right to say "You are a moron."

Just like with WBC, we have the right to counter protest. I will never tell WBC they can't do what they do. But that's why we have the patriot guard. I LOVE what they do.

I won't call him a moron. I chose my adjectives and adverbs carefully. I called him out on the wrongfulness of his actions and his words. I did not speak to his mental abilities, nor did I use any adjective designed to insult his person. And I won't.

Last edited:

boyscout399

Negligent Discharge

Terry Jones had a Negligent Discharge in his car after interviewing with Fox News Detroit. This guy is a complete moron.

Link

Brion

I won't call him a moron. I chose my adjectives and adverbs carefully. I called him out on the wrongfulness of his actions and his words. I did not speak to his mental abilities, nor did I use any adjective designed to insult his person. And I won't.

I didn't say you did. It was more or less an over exaggerated example as to the argument that we can do so, if we so choose.

You're a better person than me. I'd walk up to him and say "Preach on, it's your right. However I will say this. YOU'RE STILL A DING-DONG!"

MKEgal

bajadudes said:
I liked it better when women were burning their bras.
I'd like to see OC women burning their bras.
Have you any idea what a good bra costs?? :shocker:
For those of us who are better endowed, it's worth the price to be comfortable, but they're 'spensive!

boyscout said:
Terry Jones had a Negligent Discharge in his car
That's ripe for double entendres...
in the article said:
It happened in the parking lot... moments after he appeared on live TV... on the “Let it Rip" show.
[though elsewhere it says he was taping a debate]
Prosecutors in the city are charging Jones with planning to disturb the peace and “ethnic intimidation.” A judge on Thursday told Jones to pay either pay a $100,000 “peace bond” to pay for the extra security required for the event, or go to trial to determine if he’s guilty of the charges.
He chose the trial, which is scheduled for Fri. morning.
I'm almost sorry he didn't shoot himself in the leg or foot or something.
Maybe he would have taken it as a sign from his God that he should stop what he's doing.
And it would have put him out of commission for a little while, depending on how cautious the hospital was. :rolleyes:

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I bet this thread will be locked soon.

This thread is why you can't get too off topic on OCDO.

Last edited:

MKEgal

I suppose this could be moved into the general discussion area, since the gun content is pretty low...

Here's an article on the trial so far:
http://www.detnews.com/article/2011...se-when-trial-resumes--‘We-are-not-criminals’
from the article said:
...the six-member jury's decision must be unanimous...

Jones said he's coming to protest jihad and Sharia law and has no plans to burn Qurans or images of Muhammad

Jones said today he had thought of the possibility of getting up and leaving if his jury trial is still going on at the time of his demonstration. But Jones instead said he will schedule the protest for next Friday if today's proceeding stretches on.

Claytron

He has the right, and so we can not argue against it. Otherwise we can't argue our right granted by 2A. I say let him do it and to be honest i want it to, just so i can see how fare the LEOs there go and see how they stomp on said right.

Anything can be argued. Its true that we do have the right of free speech but it does have its limits. For instance, you cant just go into a store and scream "THIS IS A ROBBERY!!!" and then just laugh and walk out with your friends. Things like that do not fall under free speech. Likewise, in my opinion, announcing to everyone that you have a gun and will be carrying it with you while you protest, even though the protest is unrelated to guns, is uncalled for and its clearly being done to elicit a reaction. If the reaction he was looking for was for people to become aggressive then it could be argued that he was planning it, especially after doing something incredibly ignorant and attention-seeking as burning the quran.

Repeater

Reference to ND: "People could die!"

I suppose this could be moved into the general discussion area, since the gun content is pretty low...

Here's an article on the trial so far:
http://www.detnews.com/article/2011...se-when-trial-resumes--‘We-are-not-criminals’

Assistant Prosecutor Robert Moran called the demonstration a "recipe for disaster."

Nearby churches are planning afternoon Good Friday services, and just Thursday night, Jones accidentally discharged his pistol leaving a television studio.

"What would happen if it went off again?" Moran asked the 19th District Court.

He warned that "people could die" if the protest proceeds and Jones has "continually said he 'will not abide by the law of Dearborn'.

"He wraps himself in the rights of the First Amendment. It's not that easy. Just because you have first amendment rights, doesn't mean you can do whatever you want whenever you want."

Well, Jones has no incentive now to carry concealed. Everyone knows he's packing.

Pastor Jones may or may not be a role model for First Amendment exercise; the relevant question now is, will he be a role model for Second Amendment exercise and the Open Carry movement?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Those who really shouldn't carry a firearm usually either weed themselves out of the gene pool, or at least have enough sense to know handling a firearm would probably be a dangerous thing for them to do, and avoid it in the first place.

Sadly, every once in a while, we wind up with an unwanted poster boy who mixes firearms incompetance with other indesirable traits like burning Korans and causing the deaths of innocent people.