• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Overreaction: Buckley Schools in lockdown at the 'sighting' of a possible weapon.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So a parent spotted something that was legal and called the police? or the school?

Three Buckley schools are on lockdown after a parent reported seeing someone with a weapon near White River High School.

Just before 2 p.m., a parent coming to pick up their child from the high school campus at 26928 120th Street East told school officials about the possible weapon sighting.

“The sighting was off-campus at the entryway to the school,” Superintendent Thomas Lockyer said.

Since Mountain Meadow Elementary School and White River Alternative Programs are near the high school, they were also placed on lockdown, Lockyer said.

Buckley police and Pierce County sheriff’s deputies are on scene.

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crim...after-possible-weapon-sighting/#ixzz1K6X5c7eo

44Brent

Question: When complainants who are alarmed at the sight of weapons see a weapon, what is the first thing they do?

Answer: The call the telephone number for people with weapons, and ask them to come to the scene.

Result: Even more people with weapons arrive at the scene, which results in the complainants being pacified.

therealcombat

Question: When complainants who are alarmed at the sight of weapons see a weapon, what is the first thing they do?

Answer: The call the telephone number for people with weapons, and ask them to come to the scene.

Result: Even more people with weapons arrive at the scene, which results in the complainants being pacified.

Beautifully illustrated that said complainants are completely irrational. :idea:

Dain Bramage

The child was never on school property and is not in trouble.

The overreaction was by the witnesses and the school authorities. Sounds like a reasoned response by the police once they found out what was going on. At least they didn't "prone him out" to assert their authority.

aadvark

Washington does NOT Reconize any 1000 Foot Buffer Zone, BUT Federal Law does, however; a BB Gun does NOT Qualify as a Firearm under Federal Law.

ApacheBunny

I noticed in the comments one person who posted on that news page had an irrational response and misinterpreted your response, again with the "but what about the children!?". Not to mention no one was in danger the kid was no where near the school so yeah, parent overreacted for the sake of the "children".

Last edited:

bennie1986

If the threat was real and they didn't react to the report and something happened they would probably be sued. I know if my kids went to that school and the staff didn't react I would be pissed. Not sure why this is a big deal, being prepared for the worst is why we all carry a gun and there reaction to me falls in line with preparing for the worst.

Bucks Gun Shop

It seems like a bit of over reaction to me, and yes I have children in school. To a certain extent, the school has the responsibility to teach the children what is and is not an appropriate response to things that happen in life. Unfortunately, I think they have got to the point that like our children - they no longer have the ability to determine what is appropriate and what is not...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
So when I OC on my motorcycle to drop off a kid or pick up a kid at school they should lock it down?

:rolleyes:

Ta Da! exactly...

There was no illegal behavior when the authorities were called. It was purely a reactionary response perpetrated by the branding that a gun is bad regardless of the pertinent facts surrounding the object.

If they are going to lock down a school every time they see an object that can be a weapon..... perhaps we should lock down campuses and restrict automobiles?

therealcombat

I live right across the street from a school. I OC on the motorcycle all the time. To my knowledge they haven't locked it down yet as a result of me. I haven't had the cops come talk to me about it either.

bennie1986

There are different levels of a lockdown. Just because they lockdown doesn't mean they all hide under their desks. 99% of the time the kids don't ever know they were on lockdown. A similar situation happened with the school I live by a few months ago, guy was seen walking with a rifle. they did a modified lockdown and all that ment was a sheriff was posted at the front door. I wouldn't want them to freak the kids out every time there may be an issue but I do think they should do something to be prepaired.

As for the scenario where you OC picking up your kids I personally wouldn't see cause for alarm. You probably are recognized by the community so chances are you will never have an issue. The only point I wanted to make is that it is never bad to be prepared for the worst so why stop short when it comes to our kids.

sudden valley gunner

As for the scenario where you OC picking up your kids I personally wouldn't see cause for alarm. You probably are recognized by the community so chances are you will never have an issue. The only point I wanted to make is that it is never bad to be prepared for the worst so why stop short when it comes to our kids.

With stupid helmet laws how would I be recognized?

Some know who I am and some would call the cops just to harass me or cause a scene like the above one so that they can regulate more. The principal has already told my step son it's illegal....(he told her she was wrong).

I don't like a police state, I don't like police locking my kids up in a school, I don't like the cops and 911 not being rational enough to ask what is the guy doing etc. People need to learn to be responsible and not just a pawn for the so called "authorities".

If someone was going to do something in a school by the time the cops got there it would more than likely be too late.

blackmarine

With stupid helmet laws how would I be recognized?

Some know who I am and some would call the cops just to harass me or cause a scene like the above one so that they can regulate more. The principal has already told my step son it's illegal....(he told her she was wrong).

I don't like a police state, I don't like police locking my kids up in a school, I don't like the cops and 911 not being rational enough to ask what is the guy doing etc. People need to learn to be responsible and not just a pawn for the so called "authorities".

If someone was going to do something in a school by the time the cops got there it would more than likely be too late.

And the sheeple graze placidly in the meadow.

Duke