Thread: An Open Carry speech - help!

Post An Open Carry speech - help!

To my fellow Florida carriers,

I'm currently attending an instructor course for the military and in it I have to give a 10 min, 20 min, 30 min, and 50 min speech. I have to have a topic for my 10 min speech set for tomorrow, and I do the speech on Monday. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I should speak on. Like some hard points to hit. (referring to Open Carry, I was even thinking of doing a "Why you shouldn't talk to police" speech)

Some may think this shouldn't be in the Florida section since it isn't state related, but the Florida section is the only forum I really post in and I feel that the people hanging around here are full of great information. Hope you guys can help!

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    To my fellow Florida carriers,

I'm currently attending an instructor course for the military and in it I have to give a 10 min, 20 min, 30 min, and 50 min speech. I have to have a topic for my 10 min speech set for tomorrow, and I do the speech on Monday. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I should speak on. Like some hard points to hit. (referring to Open Carry, I was even thinking of doing a "Why you shouldn't talk to police" speech)

Some may think this shouldn't be in the Florida section since it isn't state related, but the Florida section is the only forum I really post in and I feel that the people hanging around here are full of great information. Hope you guys can help!

Watch:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI...layer_embedded
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    It's hard to watch that and make an outline with out copying everything he says lol

Campaign Veteran
    Check this out. Very well worded and compelling argument.

http://paopencarry.org/the-open-carry-argument

Banned
    You are less likely to have to use your weapon. OCers dont get attacked, but CCers routinely do.

I'm starting to think, should I save the open carry for 20 min and up when people can ask questions? There will be no questions during the 10 minute speech. I'm starting to think open carry is too good to just give 10 minutes. No?

Banned
    Yes, questions and answers would be appropriate for this topic. OC generates questions and misconceptions on sight, both of which should be carefully and thoughtfully addressed.

One of the most subtle, yet striking truths when comparing open to concealed carry is merely a millimeter of cloth. The thickness of the cover garment is the only difference from lawful concealed carry to unlawful (currently) open carry. Nothing about the carrier changes. Not his demeanor, nor his potential lethality. Yet, somehow the unarmed public change because of prejudice, the daily anti-gun media assault, and irrational fear.

Every day just like the rest of us, the hoplophobic public weaves through a veritable battlefield of multi-ton killing machines and think so little of the danger to their lives, they insist on putting on makeup, texting, reading, eating, and more while they drive. One wrong move at the wrong time, and many people could lose their lives. But let these same careless commuters catch a glimpse of a 23-ounce firearm on a person who isn't a member of law enforcement, and they're likely to be on 911 reporting a "man with a gun".

Damn! Gave away another Examiner.com article. Oh well, good cause. I think you can handle it from here. You've got the idea. Sometime, the best way to battle an emotional point is to "logic" it to death and expose it for what it is. Simple fear.

Good luck!
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Banned
    Something to discuss with a devoted CCer or an anti. By circumstance, the criminal will almost always have the drop on you since you can neither draw, nor fire until they become a real threat. Consider this, You are faced with a criminal who has a gun clearly tucked into his/her waistband, and you KNOW they are going to shoot. You can't fire on them, you can't even draw on them. Not until they put their hand on the gun, and draw it in a threatening manner. At that point only can you use deadly force. Trouble is, you are literally put into a position of drawing and firing against someone who has already drawn their weapon. Do you really want to have to first come out of concealment, having that extra step between you and your life? There is no way that a CCer will ever draw faster than an OCer, and neither of us can out draw the bad guy due to the law.

I made a new thread in the general area.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...eech-I-m-doing

I'm going to save carrying as it's own topic for a longer speech with more time. For now I'm doing DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE. If you guys have any good examples of people who have gotten intro trouble by talking to the cops hit me up in that thread! Links to news articles are nice, but I don't NEED to cite my sources. It would just be nice! Thanks guys!