• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

An Open Carry speech - help!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
To my fellow Florida carriers,

I'm currently attending an instructor course for the military and in it I have to give a 10 min, 20 min, 30 min, and 50 min speech. I have to have a topic for my 10 min speech set for tomorrow, and I do the speech on Monday. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I should speak on. Like some hard points to hit. (referring to Open Carry, I was even thinking of doing a "Why you shouldn't talk to police" speech)

Some may think this shouldn't be in the Florida section since it isn't state related, but the Florida section is the only forum I really post in and I feel that the people hanging around here are full of great information. Hope you guys can help!

77zach

To my fellow Florida carriers,

I'm currently attending an instructor course for the military and in it I have to give a 10 min, 20 min, 30 min, and 50 min speech. I have to have a topic for my 10 min speech set for tomorrow, and I do the speech on Monday. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I should speak on. Like some hard points to hit. (referring to Open Carry, I was even thinking of doing a "Why you shouldn't talk to police" speech)

Some may think this shouldn't be in the Florida section since it isn't state related, but the Florida section is the only forum I really post in and I feel that the people hanging around here are full of great information. Hope you guys can help!

Watch:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc&feature=player_embedded

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm starting to think, should I save the open carry for 20 min and up when people can ask questions? There will be no questions during the 10 minute speech. I'm starting to think open carry is too good to just give 10 minutes. No?

Rich7553

One of the most subtle, yet striking truths when comparing open to concealed carry is merely a millimeter of cloth. The thickness of the cover garment is the only difference from lawful concealed carry to unlawful (currently) open carry. Nothing about the carrier changes. Not his demeanor, nor his potential lethality. Yet, somehow the unarmed public change because of prejudice, the daily anti-gun media assault, and irrational fear.

Every day just like the rest of us, the hoplophobic public weaves through a veritable battlefield of multi-ton killing machines and think so little of the danger to their lives, they insist on putting on makeup, texting, reading, eating, and more while they drive. One wrong move at the wrong time, and many people could lose their lives. But let these same careless commuters catch a glimpse of a 23-ounce firearm on a person who isn't a member of law enforcement, and they're likely to be on 911 reporting a "man with a gun".

Damn! Gave away another Examiner.com article. Oh well, good cause. I think you can handle it from here. You've got the idea. Sometime, the best way to battle an emotional point is to "logic" it to death and expose it for what it is. Simple fear.

Good luck!

stainless1911

Banned
Something to discuss with a devoted CCer or an anti. By circumstance, the criminal will almost always have the drop on you since you can neither draw, nor fire until they become a real threat. Consider this, You are faced with a criminal who has a gun clearly tucked into his/her waistband, and you KNOW they are going to shoot. You can't fire on them, you can't even draw on them. Not until they put their hand on the gun, and draw it in a threatening manner. At that point only can you use deadly force. Trouble is, you are literally put into a position of drawing and firing against someone who has already drawn their weapon. Do you really want to have to first come out of concealment, having that extra step between you and your life? There is no way that a CCer will ever draw faster than an OCer, and neither of us can out draw the bad guy due to the law.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I made a new thread in the general area.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?89560-DON-T-TALK-TO-THE-POLICE-a-speech-I-m-doing

I'm going to save carrying as it's own topic for a longer speech with more time. For now I'm doing DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE. If you guys have any good examples of people who have gotten intro trouble by talking to the cops hit me up in that thread! Links to news articles are nice, but I don't NEED to cite my sources. It would just be nice! Thanks guys!