• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I bring my pistol to a relative's house in NC?

maz

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm a CT resident and have a Connecticut CCW permit. I'm going with my girlfriend to visit her parents that live in North Carolina. Her dad (retired LEO, big gun person) said we should bring our pistols to go shooting with him (Glock 19 and 26).

Can I, assuming it's locked in the trunk in a safe, etc, bring the gun into NC while visiting for a few days. I know I can't conceal it in NC, but can I bring it at all?

I'll be applying for a FL permit (so I can ccw in NC without issue), but we are taking the trip before that can happen (90 day wait).

We would be keeping the pistols in the house, and only going from the house to the range.

Thanks!

(by the way, I did spend a lot of time reading up in the laws. I just couldn't find any info on bringing a pistol into NC. Everything I read was only in relation to CCW, not storage and range trips)

Edit: We'd be driving from CT to NC.

Last edited:

p85

(by the way, I did spend a lot of time reading up in the laws. I just couldn't find any info on bringing a pistol into NC. Everything I read was only in relation to CCW, not storage and range trips) quote

you won't find anything because it is not against the law in NC. laws are written to make things illegal, not legal.

you are good to go in NC. NC is an open carry state, so don't conceal without a permit. getting here through other states is a different story, check their laws, but you should be covered under federal transport laws.

maz

you are good to go in NC. NC is an open carry state, so don't conceal without a permit. getting here through other states is a different story, check their laws, but you should be covered under federal transport laws.

Thanks for the reply. That's the conclusion I came to.

NCSteveh

You are good to go here, getting here is the fun. Going through NY and NJ are were you have to watch out. I would lock it in a safe with a combination lock then pack it in the bottom of my suitcase and lock it in the trunk till I hit the VA line.

Sc0tt

Without a CHP you are suppose to keep it in plain sight when in a vehicle, however the majority of the LEOs I spoke to when asked about traveling with a gun in the truck said that more than likely you would not be charged with CCW since it is not accessible to any one in the car, but that it is possible to be charged if they wanted to purse it. So you best be while traveling is on the seat, dash, ect somewhere in plain sight.

North Carolina is a open carry state. Anyone who may legally posses a handgun may carry it in plain sight. Unfortunately our state does not give reposity to your states CHP's so OC is about your only option.

But if your girlfriends father is a LEO in the state, why dont you get his advice.

chiefjason

but that it is possible to be charged if they wanted to purse it.

No, it's not. And that's why you don't ask LEO's about laws. lol Convince a magistrate that in the trunk is about the person.

14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle.

From here, and worth a look for the OP.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Sc0tt

No, it's not. And that's why you don't ask LEO's about laws. lol Convince a magistrate that in the trunk is about the person.

I did not say you would be convicted of it but I have had several friends Charged with GATTP who were peacefully carrying just becuase someone complained and CCW for having a gun in the trunk. The police can charge you with anything, wither it sticks in court is a different story.

hotrod08

14‑269. Carrying concealed weapons.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind, except when the person is on the person's own premises.

Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle.

From here, and worth a look for the OP.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Also, http://tinyurl.com/3owodzo and http://tinyurl.com/3rluurx

mekender

If you take the smart route and go into PA, VA, WV and then NC, you should be able to carry, probably even openly every step of the way except the 30 or so miles through MD.