• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

American legion

Carry24/7

Wouldn't that be a place that serves alcohol? I'm not a member of the AL but do they charge dues? I wouldn't think it would be legal.

Last edited:

k-town river rat

Correct me if I am wrong, but the law says where alcohol is sold AND consumed. If it is just served (consumed) and not sold, you should be good. If the beer is free and only consumed, you should be able to carry.

bajadudes

There is a bar and it's sold and consumed. I go to the one at 6400 Johnson Pond Road, Fuquay-Varina and I'm pretty sure they are all like that.

I'd give them a call and ask. There are 3 in raleigh proper:

American Legion Auxiliary
4 N Blount St # 100, Raleigh, NC
(919) 832-4051

American Legion
3600 Lee Road, Raleigh, NC
(919) 876-5795

American Legion
4 North Blount Street, Raleigh, NC
(919) 832-7506 ‎

Forget the one in Cary, no OC or CC in Cary at all

KBCraig

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
If you'll go into your Tapatalk settings, you turn off this annoying message. It tends to irritate a lot of people. Thanks!
icon7.png

rotorhead

lol I wish I could find a mythical American Legion that gave away drinks for free. :rolleyes:

I don't think that free one you get for being a member when you visit one in a different area counts, though.

Last edited:

aosailor

but at the same time, ALs arent considered a "business" right? just a bunch of old guys hanging out trying to one up each other on war stories??? (at least, thats how mine is lol) but in all seriousness, ALs fall into a special category. If I remember correctly, they dont have a beer or liquor license but they still serve. hell they still chain smoke in mine. this might be something to look into further

rotorhead

Although it's not a "business" per se, the law uses the word "establishment" when describing places where carrying is banned. Certainly an AL would be considered an establishment, I would guess. Even if considered a private club and having exemptions from the law (which they don't), it would open up the door to other private establishments, as well.

Still, there's always a chance :)

Last edited:

x3atthis

Although it's not a "business" per se, the law uses the word "establishment" when describing places where carrying is banned. Certainly an AL would be considered an establishment, I would guess. Even if considered a private club and having exemptions from the law (which they don't), it would open up the door to other private establishments, as well.

Still, there's always a chance :)

So under the current wording, couldn't it be argued that carrying in a hotel that has a bar/room service is banned as well? If they can deliver a bottle of champagne to your room, then the parameters of the bar extend to the entire hotel. Now my curiosity is piqued. Hmmmmm.

bajadudes

So under the current wording, couldn't it be argued that carrying in a hotel that has a bar/room service is banned as well? If they can deliver a bottle of champagne to your room, then the parameters of the bar extend to the entire hotel. Now my curiosity is piqued. Hmmmmm.

I would think it's no carry but interesting question. Suppose it has an attached restaurant and room service originates from there including alcohol? You are not really in the restaurant but are in an establishment that is selling patrons alcohol and allowing them to consume it on the premises.

rotorhead

Could be, but I've never encountered that question so I really can't say with spending at least 20 seconds on Google lol.