• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Franklin, WI High School closed due to fear... 2nd time this week

MKEgal

http://www.wisn.com/news/27622445/detail.html

First, someone found (oh, horrors!) a bullet (probably a cartridge) in a hallway, so they locked down, then evacuated, and searched every locker & backpack.
Then there was a very nonspecific threat written on a bathroom wall, so they closed down again.

Imagine how much saner this community would be with education (Eddie Eagle, anyone?)
Bullet in the hallway? Pick it up, notice it won't fit anything you own, but your buddy / parent / teacher has something in that caliber so you pass it on.
Vague threat? Hard to do anything about that. Make sure the teachers are all ready to defend against a Columbine-style murder-suicide act, then go on with lessons.

Instead people are wailing about metal detectors. :mad:
Right, the way to stop a threat from some kid who already thinks he's being shat on is to clamp down harder & infringe more of his rights. Show him who's boss.
No, he needs to be listened to, the realistic threats taken care of, and he needs to learn better ways to interact with people.

By closing down or evacuating school like this, it only encourages these numbskulls.
They want attention. They like seeing how much chaos they can cause.
Maybe if every day they're closed is tacked onto the end of the school year, then classmates will start exerting pressure (or telling who's causing problems).

AaronS

But I thought we were working on building a better Nanny State, via the local Police?
Franklin High is not the best place around, but I am from Milwaukee, so I can't talk...

I think you hit it on the head with
Vague threat? Hard to do anything about that. Make sure the teachers are all ready to defend against a Columbine-style murder-suicide act, then go on with lessons.

Bummer is I would bet it a very rare thing for any teachers around this area to carry a gun. Well I guess we never know.
Every kid does look to have a cell phone so I guess the cops are just a call away. Hmm, just like Columbine... Well, I am sure our Police are faster to respond, right?
I would feel a lot better if we could get a few teachers in every school to carry a gun.

phred

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
Bummer is I would bet it a very rare thing for any teachers around this area to carry a gun. Well I guess we never know.
Every kid does look to have a cell phone so I guess the cops are just a call away. Hmm, just like Columbine... Well, I am sure our Police are faster to respond, right?
I would feel a lot better if we could get a few teachers in every school to carry a gun.

I volunteered many times, but nobody would let me.

I guess I am a very rare thing. I might even be on the endangered list - all the more need to carry a gun.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
if some kid was smart..he would leave a single 9mm round on the floor in the bathroom everyday...HEY NO SCHOOL :) The Sheep have their ZERO tolerance policy ...Zero Tolerance to common sense... What a bunch of Kool Aid drinkers ! Some kid wrote BOMB on the wall...but with the level of education these kids are getting at Public schools these days...he was probably trying to spell BONG

Last edited:

Zeus

I thought schools were Gun Free Zones. That's all you need to do then, right?

M

McX

back in the day. all we got was snow days. now they got all kinds of fancy reasons not to be in school.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I thought schools were Gun Free Zones. That's all you need to do then, right?

So true. We all know laws stop bad things from happening. I know what the problem is, they need to change the GFSZ law to also preclude ammunition within 1000 feet of the school. :banghead: