• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Deadly Force Seminar" - June 11, 2011- Woodstock

user

Accomplished Advocate
It's official - I'm going to be doing the Virginia Legal Defense Deadly Force Seminar again, this time at the Hampton Inn in Woodstock. June 11; doors open at 1:00 p.m., and we'll be done by 5:00 p.m.

This seminar meets the requirement for safety/proficiency certification in support of a concealed handgun permit application.

Sixty-five bucks, payable at the door or in advance to me by check (no plastic, no paypal) to:

Virginia Legal Defense
P.O. Box 100
Broad Run, VA 20137

Caution to those who wait to the last minute and want to pay at the door - if there isn't sufficient interest, as shown by prepaid subscriptions, I may have to cancel out. That has never happened, since I've been doing this seminar, but it's a theoretical possibility.

The Hampton Inn is right off of I-81 about halfway between Front Royal and Lynchburg, more or less. South of the intersection with I-66 and North of the intersection with Rt. 33.

More info, etc., call my office at 540-347-2430.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I'm thinking about doing one in Fredericksburg and one in the Southside/Chesterfield area. Neither is scheduled yet. I'm trying to make the locations convenient for the greatest number of people. I'm working on one in the Roanoke/Lynchburg area now and will probably do something in the Southeastern area Hampton Roads / Va. Beach / Wmsbg. area after that.

Suggestions are welcome. By the way, the price may vary depending on what it costs me to put the thing on.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Assuming that scheduling works out, I'd be interested in a seminar in N. Richmond/F'burg... something like that.

nemo

> Sixty-five bucks, payable at the door or in advance to me by check (no plastic, no paypal) to:

Count me in. I prefer to pay at the door, unless you HAVE to have payment in advance.

user

Accomplished Advocate
You could do that, I'm the only one who answers that 'phone. Though, "Dan Hawes" will work, too.

To answer the previous question, yes, I will provide an affidavit to anyone who attends and asks for one that will support the application for a concealed handgun permit. This counts as a course that satisfies the content requirements, and I am an NRA certified instructor (pistol, rifle, personal protection, though this seminar isn't about the mechanics of shooting).

user

Accomplished Advocate
And this is on a Saturday? I'm liking this idea.

True; Saturday afternoon.

=====Description:

This seminar is about self-defense and defense of others. It is not about military/tactical/police offensive use of weapons, and it is not about hunting or shooting sports. The principal thrust of the discussion will be on educating citizens about the lawful use of deadly force and how to interact with law enforcement personnel and the criminal justice system.

=====Topics which may be covered (driven by some degree by the questions and discussion):

History and background of Virginia's legal system
-- Common law
-- classification: equity, law/criminal
-- courts & federal structure

Common law rules to know about
-- competing harm
-- sudden emergency
-- castle doctrine
-- true man doctrine
-- self defense /defense of others
-- self-identification

Federal Law
-- federal facilities etc
-- transport across state lines
-- purchasing

Virginia Statutes
-- Constitution Art 1 Sxn 13
-- firearms crimes (assault, brandishing,
-- distinction between ownership & possession
-- possession by persons not eligible
-- possession in prohibited places
-- purchase and ownership - age limitations
-- purchase from dealers / private parties

Practical matters: Carrying
-- dealing with cops, routinely
-- dealing with cops, after a shooting
-- "man with a gun" complaints
-- levels of arrest and detention

Other topics:
-- Firearm discharge on private property
-- carrying/shipping firearms within Va. and across state lines
-- "no firearms" signs on private property
-- "no firearms" regulations on public property
-- race guns, hollow points, & self defense at trial
-- open carry / concealed carry - what's the difference?
-- "reasonable suspicion" v. "probable cause"
-- "Terry Stops"
-- interrogations, searches & seizures.
-- Buying and Selling Guns within Virginia and across state lines
-- transportation of firearms

Last edited:

Glockster

I'm thinking about doing one in Fredericksburg and one in the Southside/Chesterfield area. Neither is scheduled yet. I'm trying to make the locations convenient for the greatest number of people. I'm working on one in the Roanoke/Lynchburg area now and will probably do something in the Southeastern area Hampton Roads / Va. Beach / Wmsbg. area after that.

Suggestions are welcome. By the way, the price may vary depending on what it costs me to put the thing on.

Looking forward to hearing of one in the Virginia Beach area!