• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Deadly Force Seminar" - June 11, 2011- Woodstock

Badger Johnson

I'm two hours away and it's a bit short notice (just noticed the post).

I'd be willing to pay something to get a recording or a set of text handouts. Why not audio tape your lecture for the rest of us and offer it via some kind of web service and PayPal?

Another thought might be to publish one of the subjects for free, a smaller one, or a partial (teaser) to generate interest.

Anyway thanks for doing this for everyone in the Va/WVa area.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I'm two hours away and it's a bit short notice (just noticed the post).

I'd be willing to pay something to get a recording or a set of text handouts. Why not audio tape your lecture for the rest of us and offer it via some kind of web service and PayPal?

Another thought might be to publish one of the subjects for free, a smaller one, or a partial (teaser) to generate interest.

Anyway thanks for doing this for everyone in the Va/WVa area.

Badger this isn't a lecture, it's a seminar, thus the topics discussed, and to what extend is fully dependent upon the students present. My wife and I attended one in Manassas a couple months ago, but we intend to attend others because the format lends itself to learning something different each time you attend.

AbNo

Well, we got a bit of a late start, but I have to say things were pretty good.

For those of you that didn't attend, I can say that you should have. It was a good time, and very educational.

user

Accomplished Advocate
...I'd be willing to pay something to get a recording or a set of text handouts. Why not audio tape your lecture for the rest of us and offer it via some kind of web service and PayPal?

Another thought might be to publish one of the subjects for free, a smaller one, or a partial (teaser) to generate interest....

Actually, I think that most of what I talk about in these seminars is already covered in stuff I've written on this and other gun-interest websites (Glocktalk.com, TheFirearmsForum.com, VaGunForum.net, etc.) So I think I've done the "teaser" bit. I think that, if one were diligent about it, just about everything I cover in the seminar could be located in stuff I've already written. The value in the seminar format, as I see it, is the amount of interactive participation that is possible. I, myself, hate boring lectures, and won't listen to audio tapes, even when I'm interested in the material, in which people are lecturing. I have to do a certain number of hours of "mandatory continuing legal education" every year, and I, and most lawyers hate it, because it's generally a bunch of boring lectures. There's always someone sitting in the back, reading a newspaper or working on a laptop, totally ignoring the lecture and paying money just for the ability to say he was present during the lecture, get his required credits and get out. So I don't plan to sell tapes or dvds (this is not a money-making proposition for me, in fact I lose money doing it).

I've been thinking about doing a book, but most people don't really like to read that stuff, either. How many people actually sit down and read Alan Korwin's book, "The Virginia Gun Owners' Guide"? (Available cheap on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Virginia-Gun-Owners-Guide-Forbidden/dp/0962195871.) I used to write technical stuff about computers and telecommunications in the late 1970's and the early 1980's for government contracts. We used to joke about how anything that was really important that the government people needed to know ought to be in comic book format. Most people just don't read. If every gun-owner participated in online web fora, the bandwidth would be swamped in no time - but they don't because while they can read, they just don't. So what's the point of writing a book?

I am interested in refining my methods, but I'm generally too busy actually protecting people's lives and property from legal attacks to do a whole lot of seminar-organizing. So I welcome suggestions, and thank Badger for his.

nemo

It's official - I'm going to be doing the Virginia Legal Defense Deadly Force Seminar again, this time at the Hampton Inn in Woodstock. June 11; doors open at 1:00 p.m., and we'll be done by 5:00 p.m.

Glad that it went well. When is the next time that you expect to repeat this seminar in the Winchester area? How many do you need to hold it, i.e., what is the minimum?

Thanks.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I've had between four and one hundred and twenty attendees, and various numbers in between at previous seminars. I don't know what the variables are, but I plan for forty to sixty. I'm going to have to do better with pre-registration, though, because this pay at the door thing doesn't allow me to plan well enough. The hard part is finding a place to do it that doesn't cost too much.

Last edited:

nemo

I've had between four and one hundred and twenty attendees, and various numbers in between at previous seminars. I don't know what the variables are, but I plan for forty to sixty. I'm going to have to do better with pre-registration, though, because this pay at the door thing doesn't allow me to plan well enough. The hard part is finding a place to do it that doesn't cost too much.

Well, I am working on something that may generate at least four, plus however many other locals, in a cheap place (hint: see my other thread), but it reamins a work in progress. As Joe said: "Ya gotta be patient." Or maybe it was Willie; I can never remember.