• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need OC Advice - Stopped by LEO's at Mary Washington for OC

ocholsteroc

Around 5:00pm today, I was at a public Virginia university attending an outdoor event with some former students and professors of mine. I have a permit to carry concealed, but since the weather was warm, I decided to open carry.

At 5:30pm, I was approached by one of the university police. He asked me if I was a police officer; I told him no. He asked me why I had a handgun on campus; I told him because open carry is legal in Virginia. He then asked me if I have a permit to carry concealed; I told him yes and retreived it from my wallet.

He asked me if I knew it was illegal to have a firearm in a courthouse, church, school, etc. I told him yes. He then asked me why I had the handgun on school grounds. I told him because the law does not cover universities, only K-12 schools. He told me he has a permit as well and that I was wrong.

We went round and round for a few minutes while he called for backup. Another officer arrived and he explained the situation to him. The other officer said very little except agree with the first officer. The first officer then told me I was in violation of the law because these were school grounds and that he could have my permit revoked. All through this, I politely told him that I believe he is wrong and kindly asked that he look it up. He told me that he would look it up with me, but never did.

Finally, he asked me to leave the university grounds and told me to be glad he gave me the benefit of the doubt and was allowing me to walk away without legal action. I took a business card from each officer, walked to my truck and left.

I want to know if I'm in the wrong of if the officer is. From my research, I really do think the officers were wrong. If not, I'm fine with that, but I really do think they were wrong and do not know the law.

Can someone provide me with some info and "ammo" here and what I can do if I am indeed right?

Thanks.

Oh nvm, you said it "UMW is indeed a state school and yes, I was outside on the lawn. And I'm not a student there." You are not a student there. If you where a student there that would be a problem, I believe...

Last edited:

t33j

uuuuuuuugggg, why were you carrying on a college :-O?
Are you really asking that question? Here especially, of all places??

VA colleges have not yet succeeded in removing the general public's ability to carry on the property. I look forward to doing it on my current campus as opportunities arise after I graduate.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

Are you really asking that question? Here especially, of all places??

VA colleges have not yet succeeded in removing the general public's ability to carry on the property. I look forward to doing it on my current campus as opportunities arise after I graduate.

Sorry, I changed my post. But I think it's crazy that you can carry AFTER you graduate/or do not attend there. BUT! cannot carry if you are a student! :banghead:

You can not carry in the buildings, just grounds CORRECT? (not a student)

Last edited:

TFred

I just spoke to Sgt Hall and he informed me that the officers were reprimanded and told that they were wrong to have removed me from campus. He said that they do not have recording equipment linked between dispatch and officers (I doubt that) but that if I sent him a letter regarding the situation, he would reply and give me written proof of our conversation.
Glad to hear that this at least seems to be heading in the right direction. Please continue with your follow-up, I'm sure we are all interested in the results.

I'm not on the inside exactly, but I have enough contacts around town to be able to confidently say that UMW is quite happy to be done with Hample. In fact, I wonder if a new FOIA request for this information might even be successful now.

I don't know him well, but I've spoken with the new president a couple of times, and while he's certainly obligated to tow the PC line directed by the BOV and his peers (other University presidents), it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he weren't deep down more on our side than the other in this regard. I say that with no concrete evidence one way or the other... just my gut. Could easily be wrong.

TFred

Blk97F150

.....he asked me to leave the university grounds and told me to be glad he gave me the benefit of the doubt and was allowing me to walk away without legal action.

Thats 'cop speak' for: 'i know I don't have anything to charge you with, but I'm going to threaten you with arrest anyway so I can get my way...'

Good job on the follow up with the police department!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Frankly I think the OP handled this very well. It would be most interesting if he were to return to the campus for a valid reason, OC'ing as he may. Perhaps with a friend or two doing the same thing.

Good job.

He did do a good SB, especially considering it was his first time. Now he knows the value of a recorder and how to respond.

It's a crying shame that people have to train to defend themselves against the police, just as hard as they train to defend against muggers or rapists.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
He did do a good SB, especially considering it was his first time. Now he knows the value of a recorder and how to respond.

It's a crying shame that people have to train to defend themselves against the police, just as hard as they train to defend against muggers or rapists.

"It's a crying shame that people have to train to defend themselves against the police, just as hard as they train to defend against muggers or rapists."

You're certainly right about that. I am always polite and respectful of others whether or not I am carrying, but even more so when I am armed. And I am especially cognizant of this when encountering an LEO for several reasons. I don't know what kind of day they've had and what sort of mode and frame of mind they might be in when they see me. I don't like "surprises" any more than do they and I also want to go home in one piece.

The other reason is this. I want them on our side. To see us as the good guys, that we are not a threat to them, and to remind them that it is We the People who are the ultimate authority. But I want to do this in a positive manner. It's really that simple.

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Sad how my attitude has changed

I used to be almost an appologist for the police. I still chat with them in a very friendly way. When I am NOT carrying, I try to engage in discussion of Open Carry. When carrying, I try to avoid them. I do find that around here most seem to be on our side of the issue. "Most" however is not a good enough set of odds for me to tempt fate. My definition of "Good Guy" is a bit eroded by police abuses. I suspect that my being a somewhat fat, white bearded, well groomed, white dude, might help ensure my favorable reception. We have not won though until any carrier is treated the same and the Constitution fully applies to all. Paying attention to my Second Ammendment Right has made me more aware of my other Constitutionally protected rights. We must endeavor to protect them all. Courts, prosecutors, legislatures and the police can all at one time or another be on the wrong side of the Constitution.