• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need OC Advice - Stopped by LEO's at Mary Washington for OC

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Fallschirjmäger

blackoak88 said:
.....he asked me to leave the university grounds and told me to be glad he gave me the benefit of the doubt and was allowing me to walk away without legal action.

Thats 'cop speak' for: 'i know I don't have anything to charge you with, but I'm going to threaten you with arrest anyway so I can get my way...'

Good job on the follow up with the police department!

Agreed.
When Officer Friendly sees you performing a "criminal act" and says 'I'm not going to arrest you, but please don't do that anymore, ok?" it's a sure sign of either malfeasance or ignorance of the law.
Can you imagine the Officer doing the same for a bank robber, a rapist, or someone committing arson?

vt357

Agreed.
When Officer Friendly sees you performing a "criminal act" and says 'I'm not going to arrest you, but please don't do that anymore, ok?" it's a sure sign of either malfeasance or ignorance of the law.
Can you imagine the Officer doing the same for a bank robber, a rapist, or someone committing arson?

Especially since they were accusing him of committing a felony (carrying on school property). That's not the same as getting a warning for speeding.

t33j

Dreamer

I think he meant that the police were ACCUSING him of committing a felony, because they claimed that the GFSZ ban included colleges and universities. If they REALLY believed he was violating the School Zone ban, then in their minds, he was committing a felony.

I think they knew darn well he was not breaking any laws, and were just intimidating him or else they would not have let him off with a warning. This was a prime example of "color of law" intimidation.

TFred

My reasoning behind being able to carry in buildings other than dorms is based on experience at UMW. Read this article. I organized the event. Pay specific attention to page 2.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/042008/04252008/374535/index_html?page=1
That was a single data point, and an exceptional one at that.

As you note, it was an organized event, attended by the press and a LEO who knows that carrying in a campus building is not against the law, and that expelling you from the building for violating University policy would have given you more press coverage than you would get by just leaving you alone.

I would not draw any conclusions from this single event that could be applied to the general public or their behavior at any random date and time.

JMHO.

TFred

ocholsteroc

Scott Elston of Stafford County doesn't attend UMW but came to the talk wearing a holster with a handgun. He learned about the event on the Internet and said he showed up partly to "desensitize" students to the idea of law-abiding citizens carrying guns on campus.

UMW Police Chief James Snipes was the only other person in the room with a gun. Three students wore empty holsters. None of the students in attendance challenged Gardner's views.

UMW sophomore Logan Metesh, who organized yesterday's discussion, asked someone to take a picture of him with Elston.

"This doesn't happen often," he said. "I want a picture of a guy carrying a gun in Combs Hall."

Metesh, who heads Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at UMW, wore a shirt that read, "What you don't see can save your life."

"The minute I start paying tuition, I go from citizen to slave, and they take my rights away," he said.

:mad: