Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Information on AR-15's

  1. #1
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240

    Question Information on AR-15's

    I've been looking into either building a AR-15 or buying an AR-15 pre-built.

    I understand that there are a lot of things that can be added to the basic AR to customize it and therfore most of these options can be overlooked a thte beginning, they can be added later on. The AR I'm looking for would be in 5.56mm NATO, 16" barrel (threaded), quad rail.

    I'd like to hear from those that have built an AR-15 and have some experience.

    I'd like to hear from those that have purchased an AR-15 from any of the following companies as well:
    Rock River Arms
    SIG Sauer
    Colt
    DPMS
    Double Star (Made in Winchester, Ky.)

    Additionally, looking for info on the quality of Double Star AR's.

    OK, I know that this is a lot but these are some of the queries that I have at the moment. ANy and all information is greatly appreciated
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gravel Switch, KY
    Posts
    544
    I sent an message to an AR armorer on another board that I help run. If it's about AR's he knows the answers to questions before you can ask them.

  3. #3
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    I sent an message to an AR armorer on another board that I help run. If it's about AR's he knows the answers to questions before you can ask them.
    Thank you. flb_78. I've been doing a lot of research and readinf over the past few weeks since this is slowly becoming a reality, finally! *LOL* I'm a strict SIG Sauer owner and had been looking over their gear as well as that of others. I had pondering just building my gun instead of procuring it but when I started running the numbers, it wasn't really any cheaper to build than it was to buy a quality one.

    Then tonight, I decided to hit the net and do some searching and researching on some of the main contenders I've been looking into.

    I think that I might've decided on my new rifle! I have narrowed it down to Colt, Rock River Arms & Sig Sauer. No matter what, it looks like you literally get what you pay for and quality isn't cheap but still the prices are not too far out there for a near basic AR weapon.

    But with all that being said, I'm still listening to any good advice that my fellow forum members have to provide.
    Last edited by neuroblades; 04-22-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  4. #4
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    974
    I don't want to be the bad guy but I think this topic is off limits and a no long gun discussion rule violation. But I'm not a mod or owner.
    Last edited by Motofixxer; 04-22-2011 at 11:06 PM.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  5. #5
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    I don't want to be the bad guy but I think this topic is off limits and a no long gun discussion rule violation. But I'm not a mod or owner.
    Not quite:


    (14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

  6. #6
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    I agree, IF this were a post or statement about open carry of a long gun, such as has been mentioned in other posts and in other states by other "members", this would be off-topic and wrong. I greatly oppose the open carry of long guns as has been discussed by a "member" in Tenn. sometime ago.

    This post is simple to get forum member's opinions on the AR platfrom weapons and what they might have to offer in the way of personal experience with specific brands, makes, & models.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  7. #7
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    I agree, IF this were a post or statement about open carry of a long gun, such as has been mentioned in other posts and in other states by other "members", this would be off-topic and wrong. I greatly oppose the open carry of long guns as has been discussed by a "member" in Tenn. sometime ago.

    This post is simple to get forum member's opinions on the AR platfrom weapons and what they might have to offer in the way of personal experience with specific brands, makes, & models.
    What is wrong with open carry of long guns? It is just another weapon, no different than a handgun, just slightly larger. I believe you can open carry any weapon. Thank goodness, in the Commonwealth you can carry any weapon concealed.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Olive Hill, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    I've been looking into either building a AR-15 or buying an AR-15 pre-built.

    I understand that there are a lot of things that can be added to the basic AR to customize it and therfore most of these options can be overlooked a thte beginning, they can be added later on. The AR I'm looking for would be in 5.56mm NATO, 16" barrel (threaded), quad rail.

    I'd like to hear from those that have built an AR-15 and have some experience.

    I'd like to hear from those that have purchased an AR-15 from any of the following companies as well:
    Rock River Arms
    SIG Sauer
    Colt
    DPMS
    Double Star (Made in Winchester, Ky.)

    Additionally, looking for info on the quality of Double Star AR's.

    OK, I know that this is a lot but these are some of the queries that I have at the moment. ANy and all information is greatly appreciated
    I would like to add Accurate Armory based in Lexington. Keith Pitts is the owner and a fine person.

  9. #9
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    What is wrong with open carry of long guns? It is just another weapon, no different than a handgun, just slightly larger. I believe you can open carry any weapon. Thank goodness, in the Commonwealth you can carry any weapon concealed.
    While the open carry of long guns isn't illegal to my knowledge, it gained a very negative stigma due, in no small part, to the actions of individuals that had been on here and causing problems in a southern state. We went round & round with that individual for quite awhile and for now, they're not on here. Personally, I have no issues with it under certain circumstances but as that individual was practicing, he was reckless and wanton in his actions and I say good riddence to them.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  10. #10
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOverlay View Post
    I would like to add Accurate Armory based in Lexington. Keith Pitts is the owner and a fine person.
    I'll definitely have to check into them as well, thank you Mr. Overlay. I was not aware of them.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    I've been looking into either building a AR-15 or buying an AR-15 pre-built.

    I understand that there are a lot of things that can be added to the basic AR to customize it and therfore most of these options can be overlooked a thte beginning, they can be added later on. The AR I'm looking for would be in 5.56mm NATO, 16" barrel (threaded), quad rail.

    I'd like to hear from those that have built an AR-15 and have some experience.

    I'd like to hear from those that have purchased an AR-15 from any of the following companies as well:
    Rock River Arms
    SIG Sauer
    Colt
    DPMS
    Double Star (Made in Winchester, Ky.)

    Additionally, looking for info on the quality of Double Star AR's.

    OK, I know that this is a lot but these are some of the queries that I have at the moment. ANy and all information is greatly appreciated
    Take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P15's... they have a couple of models that are MSRP at $709...
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...4_757784_image

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    63
    I am a big fan of LMT (Lewis Machine Tool ). I am very very happy with mine. Has a defender 2000 lower and is simply an awesome superbly built AR-15. You will pay more but well worth it.
    Preferred weapon is a GBU-10 PavewayII but it's a little heavy for me
    For OC I have a Beretta 90-two Italian 9mm. Mi piace molto
    Beretta pre warnings 92fs stainless steel Italian 9mm
    Beretta 92fs compact USA 9mm
    Beretta Cougar 8000 9mm
    For fun it's an LMT AR-15 w/defender 2000 lower and a slide fire stock

  13. #13
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    True, but you forgot one.

    (8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.
    Good point. If the OP wanted responses strictly from Kentucky and/or his region he could have said so rather than put it in the Kentucky sub-forum. It is a bit funny, however, that this discussion in and of itself is a bit off topic considering the thread is about information/experience on AR-15's.

    Edit: fixed typo
    Last edited by Darkshadow62988; 04-24-2011 at 02:36 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P15's... they have a couple of models that are MSRP at $709...
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...4_757784_image
    I had looked into S&W, even though it was just a basic overview because of their QC issues over the past decade. They're far too expensive when compared to better quality weapons such as SIG Sauer & Rock River Arms.

    Thank you though for the input you've taken the time to give.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  15. #15
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by bajadudes View Post
    I am a big fan of LMT (Lewis Machine Tool ). I am very very happy with mine. Has a defender 2000 lower and is simply an awesome superbly built AR-15. You will pay more but well worth it.
    I went to their site and found the Defender Standard Patrol Model 16, this is somewhat like what I'm looking for expect for it needing the quad rails. This one might be in the running.

    Thank you for taking the time to post, Baja Dude.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  16. #16
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240

    For Those Having A Cow.

    I was looking for replies primarily from my fellow Kentucky OCDO forum members on this topic. I welcome ANY replies though that forum members have taken the time to post here for my inquiry.

    In hindsight, this might have been better placed in another forum location but then it would defeat the purpose of gaining the insight of my fellow Kentuckians and members that might have information about the weapons companies located in Kentucky or businesses in Kentucky that might deal in weapons.

    For those having a cow about this thread, it will be over in a few days OR when/if the mods wish to close it.

    With all that being said, i appreciate ALL the replies that I have thus far received on this topic. I appreciate my fellow forum members as well.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  17. #17
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    245
    Well, since I contributed in the off topic discussion I think it would be fair to contribute to the topic.

    If you are considering doing some serious training on the AR-15 platform I definitely recommend getting a dedicated .22LR version. I really like the M&P15-22 made by Smith & Wesson, but there are others out there of just as good quality as well.

  18. #18
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    Well, since I contributed in the off topic discussion I think it would be fair to contribute to the topic.

    If you are considering doing some serious training on the AR-15 platform I definitely recommend getting a dedicated .22LR version. I really like the M&P15-22 made by Smith & Wesson, but there are others out there of just as good quality as well.
    Already there! *LOL* I'm got a Colt AR in .22 and have been working with it for about a year or two now. It's a real tack driver too, sweet little weapon.

    Thank you for your post & time, Darkshadow62988.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  19. #19
    Regular Member usamarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    252
    This thread was ruined by a limp dik...that is all.

  20. #20
    Regular Member hotrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Union, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    566
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    While the open carry of long guns isn't illegal to my knowledge, it gained a very negative stigma due, in no small part, to the actions of individuals that had been on here and causing problems in a southern state. We went round & round with that individual for quite awhile and for now, they're not on here. Personally, I have no issues with it under certain circumstances but as that individual was practicing, he was reckless and wanton in his actions and I say good riddence to them.
    HE was not carrying a long gun, he was carrying a handgun. Not sure what was reckless, or wanton, in his action. He was in a state park walking and was held illegally by the Park Ranger, if memory serves. He may have instigated the action by his dress and the type of handgun he was carrying, but, it was legal.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

  21. #21
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    I have personally shot a RRA once (I know, I am now and expert) with I think a 20 inch barrel with a flat top upper. My cousin was sighting in a scope and we cut a soda bottle it two with it in the 1st 20 rounds. It was very smooth feeling and shot great. But like I said, I have only handled any of these firearms once.

    But I still like my smith better. I don't see how they are poor quality guns. I have fired two with over 1000 rds through mine and it never fails even with wolf.

  22. #22
    Regular Member neuroblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,240
    I know what you mean, 09jisaac. When I worked in Florida, we used RRA's & 9mm Colt's. I loved the RRA rifles a lot and that's why they were one of the top makes that I've been looking into. We also carried SIG Sauer P226's as well and I have nothing but complete respect for their weapons to this day. That's why SIG's are another one I'm looking into as well as Colt's

    Thank you for your input on this topic, 09jisaac.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

  23. #23
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Can we know what you want this AR for?

  24. #24
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    I have a Doublestar M-4 and it is a fantastic rifle. Accuracy with the A2 carry handle I bought for it--comes with a 1913 rail on top, so you can mount whatever sight/optic/handle you choose, is excellent. With the exception of two pos Russkie Wolf rounds, has worked flawlessly. Quality build; 100% made in US with a good warranty, and available at Buds for less than $670 with ejector flap and forward assist, you can't beat it. Checked it out against Stag and DPMS, plus lower priced Smiths--no contest. Best bang for the buck out there. You can spend 2 to 3 times as much, but for what? Lots of fun to shoot, good, US made ammo available for $6/20. Go for it!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nicholasville, Kentucky
    Posts
    51

    Did I miss something???

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    What is wrong with open carry of long guns? It is just another weapon, no different than a handgun, just slightly larger. I believe you can open carry any weapon. Thank goodness, in the Commonwealth you can carry any weapon concealed.
    This is off subject of the original post, and I wanna apologize in advance for that, but the last sentence in the quote.... Is that true? Can we carry concealed now w/o a license or carry any type of weapon after the license is recieved?

    Sorry again for the missed subject on this post. Just shocked me to read that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •