• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Information on AR-15's

neuroblades

I've been looking into either building a AR-15 or buying an AR-15 pre-built.

I understand that there are a lot of things that can be added to the basic AR to customize it and therfore most of these options can be overlooked a thte beginning, they can be added later on. The AR I'm looking for would be in 5.56mm NATO, 16" barrel (threaded), quad rail.

I'd like to hear from those that have built an AR-15 and have some experience.

I'd like to hear from those that have purchased an AR-15 from any of the following companies as well:
Rock River Arms
SIG Sauer
Colt
DPMS
Double Star (Made in Winchester, Ky.)

Additionally, looking for info on the quality of Double Star AR's.

OK, I know that this is a lot but these are some of the queries that I have at the moment. ANy and all information is greatly appreciated

flb_78

I sent an message to an AR armorer on another board that I help run. If it's about AR's he knows the answers to questions before you can ask them.

neuroblades

I sent an message to an AR armorer on another board that I help run. If it's about AR's he knows the answers to questions before you can ask them.

Thank you. flb_78. I've been doing a lot of research and readinf over the past few weeks since this is slowly becoming a reality, finally! *LOL* I'm a strict SIG Sauer owner and had been looking over their gear as well as that of others. I had pondering just building my gun instead of procuring it but when I started running the numbers, it wasn't really any cheaper to build than it was to buy a quality one.

Then tonight, I decided to hit the net and do some searching and researching on some of the main contenders I've been looking into.

I think that I might've decided on my new rifle! I have narrowed it down to Colt, Rock River Arms & Sig Sauer. No matter what, it looks like you literally get what you pay for and quality isn't cheap but still the prices are not too far out there for a near basic AR weapon.

But with all that being said, I'm still listening to any good advice that my fellow forum members have to provide. :)

Last edited:

Motofixxer

I don't want to be the bad guy but I think this topic is off limits and a no long gun discussion rule violation. But I'm not a mod or owner.

Last edited:

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
I don't want to be the bad guy but I think this topic is off limits and a no long gun discussion rule violation. But I'm not a mod or owner.

Not quite:

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

neuroblades

I agree, IF this were a post or statement about open carry of a long gun, such as has been mentioned in other posts and in other states by other "members", this would be off-topic and wrong. I greatly oppose the open carry of long guns as has been discussed by a "member" in Tenn. sometime ago.

This post is simple to get forum member's opinions on the AR platfrom weapons and what they might have to offer in the way of personal experience with specific brands, makes, & models.

hotrod

I agree, IF this were a post or statement about open carry of a long gun, such as has been mentioned in other posts and in other states by other "members", this would be off-topic and wrong. I greatly oppose the open carry of long guns as has been discussed by a "member" in Tenn. sometime ago.

This post is simple to get forum member's opinions on the AR platfrom weapons and what they might have to offer in the way of personal experience with specific brands, makes, & models.

What is wrong with open carry of long guns? It is just another weapon, no different than a handgun, just slightly larger. I believe you can open carry any weapon. Thank goodness, in the Commonwealth you can carry any weapon concealed.

MrOverlay

I understand that there are a lot of things that can be added to the basic AR to customize it and therfore most of these options can be overlooked a thte beginning, they can be added later on. The AR I'm looking for would be in 5.56mm NATO, 16" barrel (threaded), quad rail.

I'd like to hear from those that have purchased an AR-15 from any of the following companies as well:
Rock River Arms
SIG Sauer
Colt
DPMS

OK, I know that this is a lot but these are some of the queries that I have at the moment. ANy and all information is greatly appreciated

I would like to add Accurate Armory based in Lexington. Keith Pitts is the owner and a fine person.

neuroblades

What is wrong with open carry of long guns? It is just another weapon, no different than a handgun, just slightly larger. I believe you can open carry any weapon. Thank goodness, in the Commonwealth you can carry any weapon concealed.

While the open carry of long guns isn't illegal to my knowledge, it gained a very negative stigma due, in no small part, to the actions of individuals that had been on here and causing problems in a southern state. We went round & round with that individual for quite awhile and for now, they're not on here. Personally, I have no issues with it under certain circumstances but as that individual was practicing, he was reckless and wanton in his actions and I say good riddence to them.

Blk97F150

Rock River Arms
SIG Sauer
Colt
DPMS

Take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P15's... they have a couple of models that are MSRP at $709...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757785_-1_757784_757784_image

bajadudes

I am a big fan of LMT (Lewis Machine Tool ). I am very very happy with mine. Has a defender 2000 lower and is simply an awesome superbly built AR-15. You will pay more but well worth it.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
True, but you forgot one.

(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Good point. If the OP wanted responses strictly from Kentucky and/or his region he could have said so rather than put it in the Kentucky sub-forum. It is a bit funny, however, that this discussion in and of itself is a bit off topic considering the thread is about information/experience on AR-15's.:lol:

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:

neuroblades

Take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P15's... they have a couple of models that are MSRP at $709...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757785_-1_757784_757784_image

I had looked into S&W, even though it was just a basic overview because of their QC issues over the past decade. They're far too expensive when compared to better quality weapons such as SIG Sauer & Rock River Arms.

Thank you though for the input you've taken the time to give. :)

neuroblades

I am a big fan of LMT (Lewis Machine Tool ). I am very very happy with mine. Has a defender 2000 lower and is simply an awesome superbly built AR-15. You will pay more but well worth it.

I went to their site and found the Defender Standard Patrol Model 16, this is somewhat like what I'm looking for expect for it needing the quad rails. This one might be in the running.

Thank you for taking the time to post, Baja Dude. :)

neuroblades

For Those Having A Cow.

I was looking for replies primarily from my fellow Kentucky OCDO forum members on this topic. I welcome ANY replies though that forum members have taken the time to post here for my inquiry.

In hindsight, this might have been better placed in another forum location but then it would defeat the purpose of gaining the insight of my fellow Kentuckians and members that might have information about the weapons companies located in Kentucky or businesses in Kentucky that might deal in weapons.

For those having a cow about this thread, it will be over in a few days OR when/if the mods wish to close it.

With all that being said, i appreciate ALL the replies that I have thus far received on this topic. :) I appreciate my fellow forum members as well.

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Well, since I contributed in the off topic discussion I think it would be fair to contribute to the topic.

If you are considering doing some serious training on the AR-15 platform I definitely recommend getting a dedicated .22LR version. I really like the M&P15-22 made by Smith & Wesson, but there are others out there of just as good quality as well.

neuroblades

Well, since I contributed in the off topic discussion I think it would be fair to contribute to the topic.

If you are considering doing some serious training on the AR-15 platform I definitely recommend getting a dedicated .22LR version. I really like the M&P15-22 made by Smith & Wesson, but there are others out there of just as good quality as well.

Already there! *LOL* I'm got a Colt AR in .22 and have been working with it for about a year or two now. It's a real tack driver too, sweet little weapon.

Thank you for your post & time, Darkshadow62988. :)

hotrod

While the open carry of long guns isn't illegal to my knowledge, it gained a very negative stigma due, in no small part, to the actions of individuals that had been on here and causing problems in a southern state. We went round & round with that individual for quite awhile and for now, they're not on here. Personally, I have no issues with it under certain circumstances but as that individual was practicing, he was reckless and wanton in his actions and I say good riddence to them.

HE was not carrying a long gun, he was carrying a handgun. Not sure what was reckless, or wanton, in his action. He was in a state park walking and was held illegally by the Park Ranger, if memory serves. He may have instigated the action by his dress and the type of handgun he was carrying, but, it was legal.