• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carrying on Guam

taotaogalu

Went to chilies last night for dinner open carrying my XD 9 sub compact with my fiancée and her mom. Surprisingly no problems at all,no stares questions or LEOS.Just polite service had dinner and left.So far I have not seen anybody else open carry a firearm on this island,theres just to much conservatism.Violent crimes have been on the rise here on the island,from assault with baseball bats and a whole lot of stabbings.Just about 2 years ago, a young lady working as cashier at a local mom and pop store just a block from my house was violently stabbed by a disgruntled chukese man drunk and probably on drugs.She survived the coward of a man hung himself at a motel.Another incident a chukese lady`s younger brother stabbed her boyfriend,when he was questioned on why he did it he said "I just didn't like him". Firearm ownership needs to come out of the closet here,anybody with a Guam firearms ID has the right to carry a firearm in a non concealed status,most people here believe it means they can own a firearm not carry.But in a way Guam is also not ready for non concealed carry,there are no qualified trainers I know off to train people on the proper usage of a firearm for self defense,and the way some people are here on the island would probably get our rights taken away,just by there attitudes.Bottom line is that gun ownership needs to come out of the closet here and law abiding citizens need to practice there second amendment rights,and maybe just maybe the crime rate might just drop.

"A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost"-Opencarry.org

paul@paul-fisher.com

Cool! I used to live on Guam from 1975-1978. I went to Agueda I Johnson Jr High School. I lived in Hyundai Santa Rita and Afame Sinajana.

Carry on!

taotaogalu

Nice to here from you sir,I heard back in those days crime was not as prevalent as it is today even when I was growing up in the 90`s crime was very low.But anyways you should come down sometime see how things have changed since the 70`s agueda jhonston is still around,and the island is alot more modern.

buzzsaw

I lived there in 1958-59. The best I remember the only crime on the Island pretty much was caused by us teenagers getting into drag races on the old air bases and generally being rowdy in any other manner we could find. Rounded up all the trash cans in one neighborhood and roped them together with a garden hose and ran them up the flag pole in front of the Admiral's office up on the hill. Of course that was after we raided the liquor cabinet at the home of one of my buddies who's parents weren't home. Everybody else caught h--l for that but for some reason I slid under the radar. Never did figure out how my dad missed that one and neither of us ever mentioned it. Fond memories of a much simpler time.

KBCraig

Very glad to have you here!

I thought Guam was pretty strict on firearms; I was under the impression that a .22 or shotgun for agricultural pests was just about the only option you had (It's been several years since I studied the Guamanian laws).

I'm glad to learn I had the wrong perception.

Congratulations for carrying legally, despite the social norms.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Presume you still have the gooney birds or have they gone the way of the dodo?

The air force and navy pilots did their best to thin 'em out.

taotaogalu

Actually most of the birds on Guam were eradicated by invasive brown tree snake.Gone are the days when you would wake up to the sound of the birds of the Marianas,just recently they reintroduced the Guam rail to cocos island.A smile island about 2 miles south of Guam.

Save Our State

Hafa adai!

I'm married to a chomorro. I never really thought about open carry on Guam. Should create quite a stir when the Japanese tourists see it.

taotaogalu

Nice to here from you,So far so good when carrying in public.Actually alot of Japanese come here to shoot guns at local indoor ranges since basically in japan your not allowed to own guns or swords,with the exception of shotguns for skeet shooting and hunting.What village you and your wife are from,im from Dededo.

slpNgrp

Hi, new here. Have been wondering about this since buying my first handgun last month. Asked a LEO who didn't know, asked his superior who responded saying he doesn't have a problem with it, but suggests, to avoid harassment carry it without the magazine inserted. That's not what the law says but just his advice.

Yes many LEOs here do not know the law very well. (camera seizures when pics of LEOs taken, news room raids without warrants, etc.)

I'm waiting for a holster order before I can join you open carrying on Island.

Heard a story yesterday that a man open carrying at Guam Premium Outlet Mall was asked to remove himself from the premises or lock his gun in his car because of complaints to security that some people were uncomfortable with it.

Sure, hearsay, but a common response and being a tourist attraction type place, tourist who are primarily Japanese that are very anti-gun in society may very well be uncomfortable around guns. Could also have been, if true, someone worried that tourist would be made uncomfortable, threatening our tourist market. I hope it was just a rumor, I go there often.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Glad to see that there are those of you taking an interest.

IMO - I defensive handgun (semi-auto) w/o a magazine inserted is just an expensive paper weight.

slpNgrp

open carry opinion In the local newspaper today 6-30-11

I was suprised today to find an open carry advocate had a letter printed in the local paper.
There have been a sudden rise in armed robberies and violence recently which probably inspired his piece.

I am curious to see if there is some adverse reaction to it in the next few days, may add my 2 cents.

hope this link stuff works,
http://www.guampdn.com/article/20110630/OPINION03/106300320/VOICE-PEOPLE

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited:

SavageOne

Nice to here from you,So far so good when carrying in public.Actually alot of Japanese come here to shoot guns at local indoor ranges since basically in japan your not allowed to own guns or swords,with the exception of shotguns for skeet shooting and hunting.What village you and your wife are from,im from Dededo.

Was a guest of your beautiful island for a few months many years ago(early 90's) while in the USN. I remember all the indoor ranges and was amazed how much Japanese tourists would pay just to shoot a .22. My Chief Petty Officer was Chomorro and one of the finest sailors it was my honor to serve with. I also got my first tattoo there from a guy named Harv Angel. It has held up better than I have over the years. Glad to hear from all of you exercising your rights. Keep up the good work.

papajohn

I was stationed on Guam in 81-82 while in the Marines. I even got my picture on the front page of the newspaper in November 81, and a pretty cool article as well. I was the youngest Marine on the Island at the Marine Corps Birthday. Headline read "Baby Grunt gets lots of ribbing" LOL. We also had another group that made the front page but it wasn't good news. Headline read "M16 blast rock Talafofo, Marine honor guard accused"
I don't remember there being much crime either, except for the brown snakes crawling around our post! It is a beautiful Island but I have heard that a lot has changed.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
[QUOTE=slpNgrp;. Asked a LEO who didn't know, asked his superior who responded saying he doesn't have a problem with it, but suggests, to avoid harassment carry it without the magazine inserted. That's not what the law says but just his advice.

"Since gasoline is dangerously flammable and often explosive in the right environment, in the interest of public safety, all ambulances shall sit with empty tanks until needed." //sarcasm off

Anyway, slpNgrp, thank you for your efforts on Guam. It must get lonely at times, but keep up the good work!

Regarding Japanese tourists, the last time I was in Honolulu, there was a firing range right in the middle of the tourist area. They were charging really exhorbitant rates to use their ammo, but you could fire semi-auto and full auto firearms there, and there were lines of Japanese tourists winding outside the range waiting to try something a bit more realistic than airsoft!

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Training?

My family and I were stationed on Guam. I was the Training guy for the Army Engineer unit down in Talafofo.

Ask for assistance from your local military. There are a great deal of weapons trainers on the island, you should take advantage of that. Take a little time and contact a few local units for help. Guam has a great US Army reserve unit and the Guam Guard. Both are filled with local folks who would be glad to help.

kenny671

question about open carry

Hi... when you're open carrying do you have the magazine inserted in the xd-9 or in the pouch?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
kenny671

question about open carry
Hi... when you're open carrying do you have the magazine inserted in the xd-9 or in the pouch?

What does the law say?? Carrying unloaded is as dumb as living in calyfornea. But then that is the law there

taotaogalu

Been a while since i replied but anyways i carry my pistol condition 3 witch means empty chamber, hammer uncocked, loaded magazine in weapon.