• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Contacted by a citizen, OFallon

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I did not record the encounter so no video.

I was exiting Shop N Save in OFallon after grabbing some stuff and a gold Grand Marquis pulls along side of me, the conversation went something like this:

Him " Excuse me, does your CCW allow you to do that?"
Me: "I am sorry, do what?"
Him "Openly carry a firearm like that?"
Me: "No, but sort of, Missouri is an open carry state but some localities restrict it"
Him: "I did not know that, I have my CCW and heard it allows open carry"
Me: "well it is a little confusing, here in St Charles county with your CCW it is pretty much ok everywhere but one locality but in St Louis county it varies and there are about 35 localities you have to check"
Him: "that's good to know"

A car pulled up behind him and he had to go. A positive encounter but I felt a little odd about it as his approach and voice sort of sounded odd, just a feeling. They were standard plates on the vehicle and no extra antennas so I do believe it was just an inquisitive citizen. Still it was odd as I was dressed James Dean style, jeans and a white tee shirt since it was just a quickie trip.

I mean hey, if I thought it was illegal to open carry a firearm that would mean anyone doing so would be a criminal and the last thing I would do is approach a visibly armed criminal and challenge his activities.

Big Boy

Some people are just curious. I remember being shocked and excited when I figured out you were allowed to do it, and had lots of questions. Should have given him the websites. www.missouriopencarry.org and opencarry.org.