• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Law Concerning Endorsements for Training - House Bill 506 was signed by the Gove

nosliwllib

Hb 506 now law

Although you won't find anything about it on the MS Dept of Public Safety website, the email I received from M/Sgt Williams, Director of the Firearms Permit Unit is as follows:

"Courses that are taught by NRA certified instructors or Standards and Training certified instructors after July 1, 2011 will be acceptable.

M/Sgt. Williams"

Literally, the letter of the law. Nothing is retroactive . . . . .

Anyone know a good inexpesive approved course here on the coast?

Bill in Vancleave

MSRebel54

What are "Standards and Training certified instructors?" I don't know what that is. Who certifies them? I mean other than the NRA (which I hate) who do I go to? Not that I even care, but suppose I did.

MSRebel54

I know there is some people that don't need to carry, like people with major mental disorders and people that cant control there anger who may shoot a place up. and i think people should get training if they don't know how to handle a gun, i been shooting guns for a while and i only put about 100 rounds thru my handgun i will be carrying but only cause thats all i can afford. cause before i carry i want to make sure i can shoot because "with great power comes great responsibility"

Well, I'm not about denying anyone their rights. But you're right, there are certain people that are just idiots, plain and simple. But I'm probably like this because I've been through training courses that REQUIRE 350 rounds just to complete the course. The safety aspect, the legal aspect has been POUNDED into my head, and therefore I'm a little bit nervous around people who strap on guns just because they can. Those who have little more knowledge than which end the bullet comes out of types. It can be scary, because they really don't know what they're doing.

And again, I'm not for denying ANYONE the right to keep and bear arms. I just think that if you're going to do that, you should take on the responsibility that goes with it.

thearmysredneck

Called Jackson again today and still nothing all I got from the firearm unit was we don't have any information yet, and I mean none. No where to go, who's approved, or even how its going to work i.e. new card with it like with D.L.s or if it will be electronic or anything...........

nosliwllib

Called Jackson again today and still nothing all I got from the firearm unit was we don't have any information yet, and I mean none. No where to go, who's approved, or even how its going to work i.e. new card with it like with D.L.s or if it will be electronic or anything...........

As stated previously M/Sgt Williams is head of Firearms Unit - see note above.

bigun220

There is a good discussion about HB 506 on the MS Gun Owners forum. Bottom line is: DPS is making it very difficult for permit holders to obtain an endorsement. They are going against the intent of the law and making their own laws. As far as I know, DPS is requiring an "approved" 16 hr course by an "approved" instructor. There are no approved instructors at this time. Any training prior to July 1st will not be accepted. The law clearly states that they can not make up training requirements. What you can do: email the governor and urge him to step in and make sure they follow the law, email DPS firearms permit unit director MSGT Eugene Williams, and call Commissioner Santa Cruz and urge him to follow the guidelines in HB 506. Contact info can be found on the MS Gun Owners Forum, Governor's website and dps.state.ms.us. Thanks.

Daylen

Or not. I oppose this law in entirety. It is bad policy and sets up a problem for reciprocal agreements with other states. Perhaps if enough people have trouble the law can be changed to simply eliminate the training and endorsement requirements and simply allow CC in more places.

MSRebel54

Or not. I oppose this law in entirety. It is bad policy and sets up a problem for reciprocal agreements with other states. Perhaps if enough people have trouble the law can be changed to simply eliminate the training and endorsement requirements and simply allow CC in more places.

I agree. I'm all for training, but I think it should be voluntary.

bigun220

There was a Senate Bill that addressed that issue, but our anti-gun House Judiciary B stopped it dead in its tracks.

bigun220

I know :( I liked the other one.
It was awful when I pulled up that bill and it said: "Died in Committee". :banghead:
We're gonna have to work harder before the next session starts. I'm ready to blast out some emails concerning 97-37-1.

Last edited:

thearmysredneck

Got mine any body else got it yet the guys I went to in Memphis was perty kickass. Oscar Irvin is the name on the dps website. The even hooked me up with the Tn certification aswell, though that's usless for me

Daylen

Got mine any body else got it yet the guys I went to in Memphis was perty kickass. Oscar Irvin is the name on the dps website. The even hooked me up with the Tn certification aswell, though that's usless for me

Those of us not living in MS are being left out in the cold :cry:

bigun220

I got my endorsement sticker on August 3rd. It was a fairly smooth process. No paperwork, but the folks behind the counter were kinda unsure of the procedure.

arrowstr4

I got my endorsement sticker on August 3rd. It was a fairly smooth process. No paperwork, but the folks behind the counter were kinda unsure of the procedure.

What is the proper procedure for getting the endorsement? Any help would be appreciated.

MilProGuy

I have to say not all of them are bad. When i applied for my firearms permit after the guy did my prints he said to remember 2 things. #1 was to not keep my gun in the glove box cause i would have to struggle to get it open the i would have to get my gun out and so it would be useless. #2 an unloaded gun dose you no good. He looked me in the eye to make sure i got what he said. So there is a few of them wanting us to carry loaded guns.

I had a similar positive experience with the officer who fingerprinted me, as well.

As I look back on it now, I appreciate his taking the time to have the "pep talk" with me.

bigun220

I had a similar positive experience with the officer who fingerprinted me, as well.

As I look back on it now, I appreciate his taking the time to have the "pep talk" with me.

Same here. I believe it a was a MBI officer that fingerprinted me. Nice folks at the Troop J station.