• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

people might feel uncomfortable

hammer6

i was just thinking....an excuse people use against OC is that it may make people feel uncomfortable, or nervous, etc. well, what about this idea: gays and lesbians have a constitutional right to free speech, but i don't feel comfortable when i see them walkin around all gay and what not. why are my rights different than theirs?

if they wanna do it, that's their choice. it's up to me to look the other way, or leave. if someone doesn't like me carrying a gun openly, they are free to leave. i don't have to adjust my lifestyle because it makes someone uncomfortable.

there is so much of a double standard and a political correctness in this nation that we are going to grind away all our God given freedoms!!

LandonK

A good comparison I suppose. I'm gay but I've never made anyone uncomfortable that I'm aware of.

I don't think it's the gun making people uncomfortable as much as the person carrying it.
Someone with a gun who looks and acts like trash would stir more discomfort than someone who looks/acts respectable.

I'm confident that we'll be open carrying here in Florida soon despite the whiners. They're going to have to get used to it just like they did with concealed carry.

Off topic question: Would an AK pistol (Draco, etc) be legal to carry under the new law?

hammer6

A good comparison I suppose. I'm gay but I've never made anyone uncomfortable that I'm aware of.

I don't think it's the gun making people uncomfortable as much as the person carrying it.
Someone with a gun who looks and acts like trash would stir more discomfort than someone who looks/acts respectable.

I'm confident that we'll be open carrying here in Florida soon despite the whiners. They're going to have to get used to it just like they did with concealed carry.

Off topic question: Would an AK pistol (Draco, etc) be legal to carry under the new law?

That's a good "rebuttal" lol. Based on that, I would have to rephrase my original post-

Gay/lesbian's don't make me uncomfortable. My brother is openly gay, and I spend time with him and his friends, some of whom are gay. With that being said, I am not uncomfortable being around him or them, the point where I would get uncomfortable would be exactly as you stated:

"I don't think it's the gun making people uncomfortable as much as the person carrying it.
Someone with a gun who looks and acts like trash would stir more discomfort than someone who looks/acts respectable."

When it comes to that point, I tend to move away to a different area. But my overall point remains the same- I'm not telling you to stop doing what you're doing simply because it makes me uncomfortable, or even if I don't necessarily agree with it, since you have the right to do as you wish.

I think we agree on that, correct?

Rick H

It may or may not be. At first thought I would say yes, But I am not going to give my final answer until I research it a little further....
Now with that said. Is this the only weapon you have for open carry? if not and you do in fact have a regular style hand gun at first would you think about only carrying that regular one until it becomes a norm? This way the anti's wont be able to say "See I told you so".
But then again piss on the anti's.
This is only about the AK statement. LOL

Last edited:

LandonK

I do have my Glock 19 that I carry every day, but I thought the AK would be much more unique and awesome. You're probably right though, It's a little overboard lol.

rvrctyrngr

Technically, yes.

10x

I,m glad your confident, lately it feels like everyone is bummed out. I hope your good vibes are for real!

Claytron

i was just thinking....an excuse people use against OC is that it may make people feel uncomfortable, or nervous, etc. well, what about this idea: gays and lesbians have a constitutional right to free speech, but i don't feel comfortable when i see them walkin around all gay and what not. why are my rights different than theirs?

if they wanna do it, that's their choice. it's up to me to look the other way, or leave. if someone doesn't like me carrying a gun openly, they are free to leave. i don't have to adjust my lifestyle because it makes someone uncomfortable.

there is so much of a double standard and a political correctness in this nation that we are going to grind away all our God given freedoms!!

im not sure why you make the comparison, both are protected rights (free speech and bearing arms) and both parties get their fair share of abuse, although id wager that openly gay and lesbian folks over time probably have endured more oppression than gun owners, if not only for the fact that there are surely many more homosexuals in the world than gun carriers. Not saying one deserves it more than the other, neither deserve it but it still happens regardless.

hammer6

im not sure why you make the comparison, both are protected rights (free speech and bearing arms) and both parties get their fair share of abuse, although id wager that openly gay and lesbian folks over time probably have endured more oppression than gun owners, if not only for the fact that there are surely many more homosexuals in the world than gun carriers. Not saying one deserves it more than the other, neither deserve it but it still happens regardless.

i'm not "comparing" them necessarily, i'm just saying, a lot of people in government want to support their rights, but they don't support ours. what's the difference is my "intent".

~*'Phoenix'*~

:lol:Everyone's got a right to be offended :lol:

Don't think that everyone's gonna be offended. Shocked, yes, speechless, yes.
Guess what? Somehow I ended up mentioning I have guns/go shooting to one of my friends at grad school. Opposite sex, opposite political attitudes, opposite end of the outgoing/partier spectrum, never held a gun in her life. Know what she said? "Cool!! I wanna go!"
Other guy we work with in lab overheard us later, surfer/diver/popular type: "Sweet you have a Mosin-nagant?"
First friend's friend, never held a gun in her life, borderline scared of them, wanted to try it. After two hours at the range, she all but completely agreed with me on everything about guns, including that OC/CC should be legal and everyone comfortable with either should do it. "If you've had background checks and got a license, why should it matter if it's showing or not?" Says she.
There are far, far more people are interested, curious, or fascinated with guns, for 'coolness' or self defense, even if they've never even shot one, than there are terrified. OC will let us reach these curious ones far better than CC ever could, and get more people carrying either way.
So what if 1 person is made uncomfortable by an OC handgun, if 2 become legal carriers and 3 more get converted to being neutral/positive about guns in general because of it?
That's about the ratio I see, from people with no gun experience. One positive experience, or logical talk with a legally armed citizen, and the vast majority will approve of us, and more will join us than will be scared away.
Welcome to the club, new folks.
(And yeah, I have some gay friends too. Honestly, I am usually less annoyed by them than everyone else I know. And most of them are pro-carry: "gays with guns don't get beat up")

j4l

Also,folks, we're in Florida. Not Ny,or wherever. I dont think as many folks are going to be as surprised, or shocked, or uncomfy about/around openly-carried guns as some of us think. Lots of hunters/sportsmen/former military in Florida, all of whom have, or have been around firearms enough to not be too worried about it.
May get some issues from tourists/snowbirds and recent retirees from yankeeland(S), but for anyone mostly or originally from down here?..face it, we're redneck enough down here to not wet our pants at the sight of a gun.

Rich7553

The question is, what is the legal definition of a handgun? Alas, the statutes do not provide one, so if challenged, it would most likely end up in court.

brboyer

The question is, what is the legal definition of a handgun? Alas, the statutes do not provide one, so if challenged, it would most likely end up in court.

Yeah, depending on the LEO ans SA, but I don;t think it would every get past a preliminary hearing point because of this in 790.0655...
“Handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver.

And 18 USC 921
(29) The term “handgun” means—
(A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
(B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

Last edited:

LandonK

The paperwork that I did on it says it's a hand gun, so does the manual it came with. But would that really be good enough? :(

Everyone who I've shown it to can't believe it's actually legal and that they classify it as a pistol.

Rick H

Also,folks, we're in Florida. Not Ny,or wherever. I dont think as many folks are going to be as surprised, or shocked, or uncomfy about/around openly-carried guns as some of us think. Lots of hunters/sportsmen/former military in Florida, all of whom have, or have been around firearms enough to not be too worried about it.
May get some issues from tourists/snowbirds and recent retirees from yankeeland(S), but for anyone mostly or originally from down here?..face it, we're redneck enough down here to not wet our pants at the sight of a gun.

And again most of the sheeple that visit Florida already come from a state that has Open Carry and will NOT be surprised/scared for it is norm in their state. That is something that NOBODY is saying when at these Committee Meetings. It's really ticking me off too.

j4l

Hopefuly, but I was referring to most out-of-state folks I encounter. Most of them are from NY/NJ,etc. and would likely freak if they saw a civillian packing.
But of the alleged other open-carry States, how often have any of us (Floridians) actually seen anyone OC'ing in these other States?
TBH, I wasnt even aware anyone other than Arizona was OC,before these forums.
Now, when I lived in Arizona,several years back, folks made use of their right on a wide-spread/large-scale basis.Was very common to pass a fellow on the street/in a store etc. who was packing. Cant seem to recall having seen that anywhere else Ive traveled.
(And that's everywhere but Hawaii, Oregon,Alaska, so far)

hammer6

Hopefuly, but I was referring to most out-of-state folks I encounter. Most of them are from NY/NJ,etc. and would likely freak if they saw a civillian packing.
But of the alleged other open-carry States, how often have any of us (Floridians) actually seen anyone OC'ing in these other States?
TBH, I wasnt even aware anyone other than Arizona was OC,before these forums.
Now, when I lived in Arizona,several years back, folks made use of their right on a wide-spread/large-scale basis.Was very common to pass a fellow on the street/in a store etc. who was packing. Cant seem to recall having seen that anywhere else Ive traveled.
(And that's everywhere but Hawaii, Oregon,Alaska, so far)

I have open-carried in Arizona, New Mexico, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan. The only time I've been questioned was in a gas station in WV, where the guy said, "are you a cop?" i said, nope, i'm just traveling through the state, WV is an open carry state. "wow, i didn't even know that. That's pretty cool man!"

And once more in a wal-mart in Pennsylvania- he said, "hey man, does anyone ever question you about your gun?" i said, you're the first one to say something. "oh cool, i've always wanted to do it, but i don't know if the police would be cool with it." i said- yeah i've seen other people carrying around, and have even been seen by police without confrontation.

I've gotten a few "double takes" in other states, but never any questions other than what i've said that i can think of.

carry yourself well, and you don't garner any unneeded attention.

hammer6

And again most of the sheeple that visit Florida already come from a state that has Open Carry and will NOT be surprised/scared for it is norm in their state. That is something that NOBODY is saying when at these Committee Meetings. It's really ticking me off too.

THAT and why is it that we "punish" the multitude of law abiding citizens for the hypothetical "what if" scenarios that may or may not ever happen? They trust us to HIDE our guns when we carry them, why can't they trust us to open carry them for all to see?