• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE - a speech I'm doing

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I posted something similiar to this in the Florida thread a few days ago regarding open carry, but the topic has changed a bit.

For a military insctructor course I have to give a few speeches. I'm giving a 10 minute speech monday titled, "DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE." If anyone has any examples of people who talked to the police and got themselves in trouble, who would have remanined not in trouble had they kept their mouth shut, I'd appreciate it! I am referencing open carry a lot in the speech. I know of a few examples but I cannot find them on the fourms after searching a million different key words. Any help would be awesome!

stainless1911

Banned
Ok, I was OC in a school zone. An officer stopped by my house to ask if I was carrying there, I said I was, and had a discussion with him about it, knowing that I had not broken the law. I was charged with CC based on a witness' opinion that I was CC when I was not. I was eventually found responsible for a civil infraction got a 6 month CPL suspension, and a fine. The witness had little credibility, and my attorney didnt provide a cross examination, and left out many key points that would have tipped the scales easily in my favor. This witness was so willing to keep guns off a school ground that she either remembered something that didn't happen, or she outright lied under oath. If I had simply kept silent, the prosecution would have had some difficulty in placing me at the scene.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

This was one of the videos that inspired me to do the speech!

Stainless, can you give me any other information that sounds "official."
I don't wanna throw in my speech, "some guy I talked to online said he was arrested for OC..."
I'd rather, "in Jan 2008, John Smith of Chicago was arrested on school grounds. He blah blah blah."

And what does CC vs OC matter in a school zone? I thought with the gun free school zone act you could carry in a school zone only if you had a permit from that state?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
I'd say watch any episode of COPS and you'll see exactly what you're looking for. 90% of the time, the guy getting arrested talked himself right into the pair of handcuffs.

Are you looking specifically for open carry related? Gun related?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Any instance of someone talking and getting themselves into trouble. A variety would be great, stainless 1911's situation is great for open carry. But I don't care what it is. This isn not OC exclusive.

stainless1911

Banned
In michigan it is legal for a person to carry openly in most of the pistol free zones provided the individual is in possession of a valid concealed pistol license.

I'll see if the links to the transcripts are still current, it's been a while since I looked at them.

stainless1911

Banned
She couldnt see that after a half hour playing with my 6 year old daughter that I wasn't a threat?

What I dont get, is that the police got a call about a man with a gun at a playground with a little girl, why didnt they show up. On top of that, the officer showed up at my house, and I greeted him with a "Hi, what's up?", and he put me in cuffs right in front of my daughter. Yet when he came back a couple days later with the actual ticket, he didn't put me in cuffs, even though I was armed. I guess its because my daughter wasn't there for him to show off to.

smn

Go and read fourthamendment.com/blog/ and read case after case all the people that talk themselves into cuffs.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Any instance of someone talking and getting themselves into trouble. A variety would be great, stainless 1911's situation is great for open carry. But I don't care what it is. This isn not OC exclusive.

Not sure how and if it would fit into your outline, but you could read quickly on the Star Chamber. It was a government organ (court) in England, cancelled I guess in the 1600's, after the John Lilburne case, if I recall. It dealt in compelled testimony from the accused, and was very abusive. It had a huge influence on our 5A right to silence. The wiki article doesn't go into the compelled testimony very much, so don't devote time to hunting for it in the wiki article.

William Fisher

I posted something similiar to this in the Florida thread a few days ago regarding open carry, but the topic has changed a bit.

For a military insctructor course I have to give a few speeches. I'm giving a 10 minute speech monday titled, "DON'T TALK TO THE POLICE." If anyone has any examples of people who talked to the police and got themselves in trouble, who would have remanined not in trouble had they kept their mouth shut, I'd appreciate it! I am referencing open carry a lot in the speech. I know of a few examples but I cannot find them on the fourms after searching a million different key words. Any help would be awesome!

I lieve I've posted this elsewhere on this forum. The first is a proffessor the second a Police Detective. The first one mentions cops talking a mentally challenged person into signing a confession telling him it would help them bring the real bad guy out in the open. The man spent a lot of years in prison and was completely innocent.[video=youtube;i8z7NC5sgik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

[video=youtube;08fZQWjDVKE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE&feature=related[/video]

eye95

I think that the most important point from the video (and one you should be sure to include in your 10 minutes) is that anything that you say to the police can be used against you--but cannot be legally repeated in court to help you.

Everything you say to the police is hearsay and is inadmissible. One exception, of course, is a statement against interests, i.e. the stuff that can be used against you!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for all the input guys, the speech was a success. Now, I need a topic for my 20 minute tomorrow. I think I'm going to title it, "The Brady Campaign Agenda"

Can anyone give me a few specific examples of flat out lies the brady campaign has said? I know they have plenty :)