• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Judge rules banning tasers is unconstitutional

TheQ

\o/ if it is upheld, I'll by a Tazer.

ETA: I wouldn't have thought a judge in that liberal area of the state would have had it in them to do this. My hat's off...

OC4me

I don't know if it would be easy to get a copy of the Judges ruling (legal opinion), but I'd be curious how he argued that a (name of object or device) constituted an 'arm' under the Second Amendment. This is very good news by the way. How the Judge came to that conclusion is very important and could have a lot of implications.

Is anybody able to find a link to that Judge's opinion (assuming that it is published online)?

TheQ

I don't know if it would be easy to get a copy of the Judges ruling (legal opinion), but I'd be curious how he argued that a (name of object or device) constituted an 'arm' under the Second Amendment. This is very good news by the way. How the Judge came to that conclusion is very important and could have a lot of implications.

Is anybody able to find a link to that Judge's opinion (assuming that it is published online)?

Go to the Court in Bay City. It's on the corner of Second and Washington.

Go to the public access computer there, enter the defendant name, get the docket number, and ask the clerk for the file for that number.

xmanhockey7

Scalia ruled that it includes weapons used in defense. Which would include: guns, knives, and even tasers. He also concluded that to keep and bear means to have and carry the arms. This judge said that bcause of the supreme court decisions that an all out ban on handguns is unconstitutional that an all out ban on tasers is the same.

stainless1911

Banned
I don't care for tazers, but I am 100% behind anyone's right to use them. Any weapon is supposed to have A2 protection, weather its primitive, like a sock full of stones, a bat, or something more sophisticated like a modern firearm or tazer.

MKEgal

Wow! Someone who understands that 'arms' aren't limited to guns & knives.
Wonder if this ruling could help us over here in WI, where posession of an 'electric weapon' is a felony.
Yep, we can openly carry a gun with no gov't interference, but having a non-lethal line of defense is a felony.

xmanhockey7

I would like to see tasers be legal with no permit necessary. Personally I'd rather tase than shoot if I had the choice between the two. Of course I would see each one being a valid tool to use.