• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maybe a little off topic but still concerns Open Carry

Tweek84

Hey everyone, first off I would like to introduce myself...my name is Nick. I have a question pertaining to open carry in California, more specifically the state laws but also ordinaces I may be un aware of in the County/City of San Diego. However it does not pertain to a hand gun but to a knife...it is a KA-BAR with the sheath that I would like to wear on my belt...like I said it would be sheathed and visible and has a 7in blade...I am under the understanding that it is legal to carry it on my belt in the state of California but am trying to get some guidance on local ordinances of San Diego. Sorry if this post is not located in the right place but I found this similar question posted elsewhere here and it was recommeneded to ask it under the state forum...thanks everyone for any advice and info you can provide

Tweek84

read through it and is quite detailed about folding knives and such but not much about fixed blade open carrying...basically it seems to me that it is allowed

Firemark

My understanding of the PC that as long as it is in a visible scabbard openly carried there is no length limit per state law.

Does that mean local areas might have rules that are more strict and set limits or total prohibitions? Of course, is it per se illegal to set a law or ordinance that violates state law, im sure areas try it all the time and they stay in place until challenged.

Most LEO will treat you with disdain and suspicion probably proportional to the length of your blade and the context and place you carry it in. Just be prepared to stand up for your rights or let them trample you, your choice.

As an example I regularly carry a 14" Dirk with a stag horn handle in a scabbard hanging from my belt. I have never in 10 years of carrying it been looked at or even attracted the attention of LEO's, even though many of them have been in close proximity, within arms reach. The reason is because Im also wearing a scottish kilt and carrying a set of bagpipes and wearing a fire service uniform shirt. Im sure I would be treated very differently if I was wearing everyday California casual and in a restaurant/bar.

Probably the same reason someone in a uniform and a badge carrying a gun doesnt get a second glance or inspire fear in people. But carry that gun in plain clothes with no visible badge, different response.

Born2Lose

I realize that carrying a 7" KA-BAR is your choice and more power to you, but why not go with a good sized assisted opening knife with a pocket clip?
I guarantee i could deploy an assisted opening clip knife faster then you could deploy a 7" long KA-BAR in a sheath. Is it for the deterrent factor?

I saw a guy at the Lakeside Western Days parade last weekend open carrying a good sized sheathed Gerber on his belt and no one looked at him sideways.

Decoligny

State law allows the carry of fixed blades of any length so long as they are 100% exposed. The problem comes with the fact that each county and each city throughout CA has the ability to have their own ordinances. You can literally cross a street and go from on jurisdiction where you are legal and step into another jurisdiction and be illegal.